Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > General > Track 5 Chat

Portland Pounces On Groupon

Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
NV Illini 74
Right out of Atlas Shrugged:

Oregon city stopping citizens from saving money in tough times.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_642121.html

The Portland city council two years ago put in place regulations that force limousine and sedan services to charge a $50 minimum for rides to and from the airport, and at least 35 percent more than taxis for trips to any other destination. And these transportation companies cannot pick up customers until at least an hour after the customer calls for a ride.

And it gets worse. Daily deal companies such as Groupon and LivingSocial partner with local businesses looking for new customers and offer limited-time specials that allow people to buy goods and services at a discounted price.

But when two companies offered their chauffeur services at a cut-rate through Groupon in separate months last year, Portland responded each time by assessing fines on every Groupon sold: a total of $635,500 for Towncar.com and $259,500 for Fiesta Limousine. The firms refunded their would-be customers rather than risk going bankrupt.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #2
illinirazorback
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV Illini 74 View Post
Right out of Atlas Shrugged:

Oregon city stopping citizens from saving money in tough times.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...on_642121.html

The Portland city council two years ago put in place regulations that force limousine and sedan services to charge a $50 minimum for rides to and from the airport, and at least 35 percent more than taxis for trips to any other destination. And these transportation companies cannot pick up customers until at least an hour after the customer calls for a ride.

And it gets worse. Daily deal companies such as Groupon and LivingSocial partner with local businesses looking for new customers and offer limited-time specials that allow people to buy goods and services at a discounted price.

But when two companies offered their chauffeur services at a cut-rate through Groupon in separate months last year, Portland responded each time by assessing fines on every Groupon sold: a total of $635,500 for Towncar.com and $259,500 for Fiesta Limousine. The firms refunded their would-be customers rather than risk going bankrupt.
That is an unbelievably stupid rule. I'd sue.
illinirazorback is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3
OlivetNaz
That would appear to be a gross overstepping of government bounds there. That being said, I have far more issues with their ordinance that more or less "protects" the taxi industry at the expense of the limo and sedan industry. I personally couldn't care less how people travel to and fro - and how much they decide they want to pay for said service. Ultimately, that decision should be left in the hands of the consumer - no restrictions.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
DaytonIllini
Only idiots make laws like that. Can you imagine getting elected to do important work and passing a law about the MINIMUM a driver can charge to take someone to the airport. They should do something more important like committing ritual suicide and stop poisoning the planet with their CO2 emissions.

« Previous Thread | General Chat | Next Thread »