Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Transfers

Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:47 PM   #126
NV Illini 74
EVANSTON, Ill. -- Northwestern has added Louisville transfer Jared Swopshire and incoming freshman Alex Olah for next season.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/ncb/story...x-olah-romania

Swopshire will play without sitting out a year.

Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:10 PM   #127
PeoriaIllini1
Why not Rodney Hood?

I think Rodney Hood is the best possible transfer available this off season. i heard that Duke, G-town and Ohio State have contacted him. I know it may be a long shot but why not try, If we could get him i think he would be our best player. he can handle, take it to the hoop, and shoot. he has proven it and i imagine he has played against D. Langford in Alabama and Mississippi games some maybe they know each other. Just a thought
PeoriaIllini1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:14 PM   #128
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaIllini1 View Post
I think Rodney Hood is the best possible transfer available this off season. i heard that Duke, G-town and Ohio State have contacted him. I know it may be a long shot but why not try, If we could get him i think he would be our best player. he can handle, take it to the hoop, and shoot. he has proven it and i imagine he has played against D. Langford in Alabama and Mississippi games some maybe they know each other. Just a thought
Quote:
Mississippi State freshman Rodney Hood is leaving the program, new coach Rick Ray announced Sunday...

The 6-foot-8 Hood averaged 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds and made the SEC all-freshman team.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-hood-transfer
RSCI No. 27, small forward is from Miss. and was recruited by Alabama, Louisville and Florida State out of high school. I doubt we have any realistic shot at this guy.

Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:18 PM   #129
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
RSCI No. 27, small forward is from Miss. and was recruited by Alabama, Louisville and Florida State out of high school. I doubt we have any realistic shot at this guy.
duke, g-town, and OSU are after him now. I just would love to see illini talk to him. At least try. i he would be a perfect fit for the system
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:28 PM   #130
Groundhogday
Quote:
duke, g-town, and OSU are after him now. I just would love to see illini talk to him. At least try. i he would be a perfect fit for the system
Sure. There are 50 guys in every class that I'd like to see us recruit. But the reality is that if we have no prior connections, there is zero chance that a guy that good being pursued by top programs and far out of our geographic zone would give us a look. Moreover, I don't think small forward is a pressing need with Henry, Rice and Hill on the way.

Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:38 PM   #131
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Sure. There are 50 guys in every class that I'd like to see us recruit. But the reality is that if we have no prior connections, there is zero chance that a guy that good being pursued by top programs and far out of our geographic zone would give us a look. Moreover, I don't think small forward is a pressing need with Henry, Rice and Hill on the way.
Maybe but that being said a phone call could not hurt. I believe he is an elite prospect that unfortunately we do not current have on our roster. I am afraid if he attends OSU we will all see just how good he can be with a good coach.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:45 PM   #132
TEYPAY
The phone call you make to him is less time you can spend talking to a potential recruit that you might have a chance with.
TEYPAY is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #133
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEYPAY View Post
The phone call you make to him is less time you can spend talking to a potential recruit that you might have a chance with.
well i am of the belief if you dont try at all you have no chance at all...i dont think duke g town or osu are in his area or have connections they didnt make happen. if you dont ask the pretty girl to dance she probably wont! :laugh:
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:22 AM   #134
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
well i am of the belief if you dont try at all you have no chance at all...i dont think duke g town or osu are in his area or have connections they didnt make happen. if you dont ask the pretty girl to dance she probably wont! :laugh:
Plus in his interview dan posted Chew says he has ties in Mississippi
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:19 AM   #135
NV Illini 74
Quote:
Agreed. In sales, your job is to go to the customer and ask for the order. If you leave without asking for the order, you should be fired. It is really a simple job that many people have a very hard time with.

Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:10 AM   #136
TEYPAY
^^^^ I agree, in sales you go ask the customer for the order, et al. However, even in sales, you don't spend time selling to people that won't buy from you. If you do, you are wasting time and should spend that time on recruits you might get. The philosophy that you spend time calling all top 100 or 200 recruits and watching film on them - isn't going to happen. You focus on ones that you have a chance at and I truly believe all coaches know, without a phone call, if they have a chance. I am sure if they have a chance, the call would be made.
TEYPAY is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:43 PM   #137
zoggle101
It wouldn't surprise me if Hood left Miss St. because they lost a lot this year. I also think he was close to Renardo Sidney.

There are a bunch of notable transfers this year but none we really need in two years. Our team is pretty stacked or is going to be stacked besides the center spot where NE is about our only true option right now.

I saw the question a few weeks ago and never commented. It was who are some notable mid major transfers who did the same thing at a higher D 1 school.

Chris Smith from Louisville had similar stats as he did for Manhattan I believe. That's for a Cardinal team that has a lot of talent and came in playing great.

Joe Trapani from Boston College started his career out at Vermont. Posted similar stats during his Golden Eagles career.

Mike Gerrity was a immediate eligible transfer and actually played at two schools before suiting up for the University of Southern California where his numbers stayed about the same.

Aaric Murray and Juwan Staten are two guys who should put up good stats after transferring to West Va. Murray played at Lasalle and Staten for Dayton before they decided for a change of scenery. Staten might have a harder time than Murray because I love the young guards the Mountaineers have. West Va had one of the deeper and more talented freshman classes in the country this past season. Murray a former top 40-50 player should be their go to guy in the paint after losing Rogers and Deniz Kilicli.

That's all I could come up with unfortunately.

Last edited by zoggle101; Apr 30, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:04 PM   #138
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV Illini 74 View Post
Agreed. In sales, your job is to go to the customer and ask for the order. If you leave without asking for the order, you should be fired. It is really a simple job that many people have a very hard time with.
also, is it true that we just got lucky with Devin Langford that his dad called us? i thought i had heard that
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:06 PM   #139
zoggle101
Anyone know if Rutgers was a mid major before moving to the Big East because Dahntay Jones went there before starring at Duke.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:27 PM   #140
Kramer116
Crandall Head to SMU?

Thread-

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...272#post569272

Last edited by Dan; Apr 30, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Decided to put the C Head talk in the SMU thread
Kramer116 is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 05:45 PM   #141
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
I was wondering if we had contacts with the Tulsa or CCharleston transfer...Mississippi is closer than both. I wish we would at least call Hood. He is a 6'8 would be redshirt soph that really has very few weaknesses. I think he would probably be our best player and NBA prospect. i just find it hrd to fathom that Chew didnt contact him he said he has Mississippi contacts. I wish we knew who they actually are contacting. Did anyone hear of the Tulsa player being contacted until yesterday?
Old May 1, 2012, 05:46 PM   #142
Groundhogday
Quote:
I was wondering if we had contacts with the Tulsa or CCharleston transfer...Mississippi is closer than both. I wish we would at least call Hood. He is a 6'8 would be redshirt soph that really has very few weaknesses. I think he would probably be our best player and NBA prospect. i just find it hrd to fathom that Chew didnt contact him he said he has Mississippi contacts. I wish we knew who they actually are contacting. Did anyone hear of the Tulsa player being contacted until yesterday?
What makes you think we haven't called him?

Old May 1, 2012, 05:49 PM   #143
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Nothing, i just read where others had contacted him through Miss ST. I would hope and believe we have, i want the best for the Illini and i think he is the best transfer in the nation this year when it is all said and done
Old May 1, 2012, 09:46 PM   #144
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Well crap, evidently Thad Matta likes him too! I hope OSU doesnt get him!

http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/tag/rodney-hood/
Old May 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #145
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Wright State guard Julius Mays is transferring and will graduate in June. Averaged 14.1 points this past season.

http://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS
Graduate as in able to play immediately?

6'2", 195lb
33.4 min/game.
FGs: (127-297) .428
3-pts: (50-118) .424
FTs: (119-143) .832
Zero foul-outs.
74 assists, 62 turnovers
14.1 ppg
Stats

Last edited by Dan; May 2, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:16 PM   #146
illiniparkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Graduate as in able to play immediately?

6'2", 195lb
33.4 min/game.
FGs: (127-297) .428
3-pts: (50-118) .424
FTs: (119-143) .832
Zero foul-outs.
74 assists, 62 turnovers
14.1 ppg
Stats
Just saw this, too, Dan. Kid originally went to NC State and transferred to Wright State, so he has used his redshirt. He was a 3 star recruit out of high school in Marion, IN. His turnovers seem high, but the staff might know him (he had an offer from Xavier and some midmajors). He is listed as a point guard/shooting guard.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/bas...aCgAUWl4owsJB4

Last edited by illiniparkie; May 2, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
illiniparkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 02:38 PM   #147
DaytonIllini
He's a shooting guard or at least not a classic PG. WSU plays sloppy ball so it's hard to rate him on individual skills. Probably closer to 5'11". I am not sure he could defend at this level. Pretty good shooter though. Didn't realize he was considering a tranfer.

Old May 3, 2012, 08:17 AM   #148
illiniparkie
Update on some of the transfers we have been discussing. Looks like Jordan Clarkson is visiting Mizzou today and has Illinois and UCLA upcoming. And Julius Mays is considering Purdue, MSU, Kentucky, Cincy, and maybe Michigan.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ulius-mays-etc
illiniparkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:21 AM   #149
CrazedUIFan
UI Fan in QC Land
It feels like free agency deadlines.
CrazedUIFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 08:26 AM   #150
scubadunk
Anyone have any news on if there is a PG we are looking at as a graduate who can play immediately. I saw that Mays from Wright State but it looks like he has his schools narrowed down. We really need a PG backup for this year to take some minutes and pressure off of Abrams.
scubadunk is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »