Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Spring/Summer Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2551
TEYPAY
Don't you only get 5 official visits? Does that mean he has taken 4 or were those unofficial? I know there is some rule that you can only take official at a certain time / grade level / etc.
Old May 1, 2012, 02:18 PM   #2552
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEYPAY View Post
Don't you only get 5 official visits? Does that mean he has taken 4 or were those unofficial? I know there is some rule that you can only take official at a certain time / grade level / etc.
Officials are senior year only. All his visits to date are unofficial.

Old May 1, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2553
JIllini79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
I haven't seen this article posted yet. Nothing new, but KN talking about recruiting: http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012...ks-recruiting/

The rising senior has no favorites at this point, but has taken visits to Ohio U., Illinois, Memphis, and Texas A&M. Nunn has no visits planned, but that does not mean he will not be taking any trips in the near future.

“I want to have a great relationship with the coach,” Nunn said. “[I want to] know that when I get there he will take care of me and make sure I do everything I have to do . . . Style of play, fast paced. Good academics [and a] school that will get me to the next level.”

Nunn went on to add that location will “not at all” play a part in his decision.
We do fit all of that criteria pretty well. Groce has the fast paced style of play and seems like the type of coach players want to play for. Illinois is a great school academics wise too.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:47 PM   #2554
Illiniwek06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIllini79 View Post
We do fit all of that criteria pretty well. Groce has the fast paced style of play and seems like the type of coach players want to play for. Illinois is a great school academics wise too.
Agreed, I was definitely comparing his checklist to the (purported) strengths of UI/Groce. While I was hoping for more pro-Illini themed comments, I'm happy with his list relative to what UI/Groce can offer.
Old May 1, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2555
Kramer116
http://twitter.com/#!/cwesterlund5

Quote:
Asked if the #illini may add a player who could be eligible to play next year, coach John Groce said it's "always a possibility."

Groce said the staff is recruiting every day. "We've not ruled out any scenario," he said. "We've looked extensively."

Groce said there's good amount of flexibility in '12 and '13 w/ scholarships. #illini have 5 to fill over 2 years, w/ 2 committed in '13
Old May 1, 2012, 03:57 PM   #2556
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
This may be a silly question, but aren't there 3 currently committed in 2013 (James, Hill, and now Rice)?
Old May 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #2557
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwesternIllini4 View Post
This may be a silly question, but aren't there 3 currently committed in 2013 (James, Hill, and now Rice)?
Rice is an 11 technically.

Old May 1, 2012, 05:03 PM   #2558
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Good update from Joe Henricksen on Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, and Cliff Alexander:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...jahlil_an.html

Old May 1, 2012, 05:55 PM   #2559
JIllini79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
Good update from Joe Henricksen on Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, and Cliff Alexander:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor...jahlil_an.html
God I wish all of them would come to Illinois. Parker in 13' Alexander and Okafur in 14'. Sadly, it will never happen . Is it too much to ask for just one!
Old May 1, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2560
TEYPAY
Meatloaf said 2 out of 3 ain't bad - can we go for that!
Old May 2, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2561
CardiacIllini3
I just saw Coach Groce walking on the quad with what appeared to be two other assistants (I don't have facial recognition of the assistants yet) and a recruit. The recruit was really tall probably around 6-8 and was african-american. Were any official visits scheduled for today or does anyone have any more information?
Old May 2, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2562
PeoriaIllini1
Any scheduled visits or rumors?

Are there any rumors or scheduled visits for guard that can play in 2012-13?

I am glad it seem that Sam from College of Charleston visited. He looks like he can contribute next year and must be somewhat talented if Virginia and Baylor showed interests. I just wondered if they have found a guard that can play for one year that is talented enough to play for 0ne year or two starting in 2012-13....sounds like that they passed on a few

Last edited by PeoriaIllini1; May 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:19 AM   #2563
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacIllini3 View Post
I just saw Coach Groce walking on the quad with what appeared to be two other assistants (I don't have facial recognition of the assistants yet) and a recruit. The recruit was really tall probably around 6-8 and was african-american. Were any official visits scheduled for today or does anyone have any more information?
Thanks. Probably Coastal Carolina transfer Sam McLaurin.

This guy?-

Old May 2, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2564
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
McLaurin still here?
Old May 2, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2565
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2000 View Post
McLaurin still here?
Maybe and hopefully . It was really crappy out yesterday
Old May 2, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2566
CardiacIllini3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks. Probably Coastal Carolina transfer Sam McLaurin.

This guy?-

Yep, that looks like the guy I saw.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:31 AM   #2567
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Yep, that looks like the guy I saw.
I know he was spotted at Ubben with JG and a couple of assts yesterday, maybe around 5 p.m. Hopefully the visit went well.
Old May 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #2568
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
The bad weather in Champaign screwed up the visit scheduled yesterday. He is on campus with Groce today. Hope all goes well and we get him onboard. Would love to have another big to contribute next season.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2569
Illiniguy34
Banned
I have no shame in losing recruits to Michigan State. That is one place where you know he is doing it the right way. It hurts a lot worse to lose kids to the John Calipari's and Scott Drew's of the world because you wonder if it would have been a different decision if they would have done it the right way.

That said its pretty well known Michigan state is the front runner for Jabari and most likely Cliff. Having to play them 2+ times a year would hurt to say the least, but it gives me satisfaction that they went to a guy who does it the right way.

I get nauseous watching in state kids playing for the Calipari, Pearl, and Calvin Sampson's of the world.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:05 PM   #2570
JIllini79
Banned
Little update I saw on Gavin Schilling about him and Depaul

Quote:
Roy Schmidt ‏ @prepbullseye
DePaul is right at the forefront of 6'9 2013 PF Gavin Schilling's recruitment. He took an unofficial visit to the Lincoln Pk. campus today

https://twitter.com/#!/prepbullseye/...49207971913728
I would hope he would see that Illinois would be a better fit for him then Depaul.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2571
U of I 89-05-10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniguy34 View Post
I have no shame in losing recruits to Michigan State. That is one place where you know he is doing it the right way. It hurts a lot worse to lose kids to the John Calipari's and Scott Drew's of the world because you wonder if it would have been a different decision if they would have done it the right way.

That said its pretty well known Michigan state is the front runner for Jabari and most likely Cliff. Having to play them 2+ times a year would hurt to say the least, but it gives me satisfaction that they went to a guy who does it the right way.

I get nauseous watching in state kids playing for the Calipari, Pearl, and Calvin Sampson's of the world.
Agreed that it is much better to lose a recruit to an MSU instead of a UK any day of the week. However, while I've conceded that Alexander seems like a very strong MSU lean, I'd say UI stands a good shot with Jabari, at least a much better one than most here seem to think.

Aren't we also in fairly good standing with Okafor?
Old May 2, 2012, 07:53 PM   #2572
Illiniguy34
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
Agreed that it is much better to lose a recruit to an MSU instead of a UK any day of the week. However, while I've conceded that Alexander seems like a very strong MSU lean, I'd say UI stands a good shot with Jabari, at least a much better one than most here seem to think.

Aren't we also in fairly good standing with Okafor?
He seems to be set on a big time program. The Kentucky, UNC, Kansas level programs. I can hold off hope but I have little to no optimism in him coming here.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2573
Chilliniwek
This is a reply not specifically to anyone, but as someone who grew up in a very rural area of Illinois. As you can see by my signature, I bleed O&B...which looks black when combined.

Could I see someone like Schilling, Jabari, Nunn and others ending up at DP? Yes, and here are the reasons why. I won't list the downsides, we all know what they are.

Great city, great food, live in Lincoln Park, get some decent if not above average coaching, travel to some pretty great Big East cities, stay close to home if it matters. Lots of exposure to the NBA if you warrant interest. A chance to resurrect an ailing program. Beautiful girls everywhere you look, and look...there's Lake Michigan! Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, live music of any kind, everywhere. Any takers? Let me know where to sign up...
Old May 2, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2574
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliniwek View Post
Great city, great food, live in Lincoln ParkBeautiful girls everywhere you look, and look...there's Lake Michigan! Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, live music of any kind, everywhere. Any takers? Let me know where to sign up...
The reasons you listed (slightly edited) are why you move to Lincoln Park, Lakview, Old Town etc AFTER you graduate from spending your college years at the University of Illinois... haha at least that is what I did. But I also grew up in Chicago so might be different for me.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2575
JIllini79
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliniwek View Post
This is a reply not specifically to anyone, but as someone who grew up in a very rural area of Illinois. As you can see by my signature, I bleed O&B...which looks black when combined.

Could I see someone like Schilling, Jabari, Nunn and others ending up at DP? Yes, and here are the reasons why. I won't list the downsides, we all know what they are.

Great city, great food, live in Lincoln Park, get some decent if not above average coaching, travel to some pretty great Big East cities, stay close to home if it matters. Lots of exposure to the NBA if you warrant interest. A chance to resurrect an ailing program. Beautiful girls everywhere you look, and look...there's Lake Michigan! Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Sox, Hawks, live music of any kind, everywhere. Any takers? Let me know where to sign up...
Depaul's campus is just awful though. And that's where they will be spending most of their time. There is literally nothing on the campus. I think they have like one cafeteria.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »