Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Spring/Summer Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3951
BigHitter1
Banned
I have seen Austin play twice in person, a friend of mine has seen him play numerous times. He is an incredible athlete. I agree with HOC's evaluation. What struck us was when he shoot threes, he raises his hands way over his head. He has really poor form. His free throws are less pronounced, however the longer the shot, the longer the arc. It is almost like he is trying to touch the ball to the back of his head. This could be problematic, if it cannot be fixed.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3952
Lake Camelot
Simeon

So, if it is true that Alex Foster and Thomas Hamilton are also going to Simeon.Will the IHSA allow that to happen? Seems to be getting a little out of hand. That would be a college team.

Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3953
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post
So, if it is true that Alex Foster and Thomas Hamilton are also going to Simeon.Will the IHSA allow that to happen? Seems to be getting a little out of hand. That would be a college team.
I heard that today also. I think Foster is still up in the air about where he's heading.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3954
Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHitter1 View Post
I have seen Austin play twice in person, a friend of mine has seen him play numerous times. He is an incredible athlete. I agree with HOC's evaluation. What struck us was when he shoot threes, he raises his hands way over his head. He has really poor form. His free throws are less pronounced, however the longer the shot, the longer the arc. It is almost like he is trying to touch the ball to the back of his head. This could be problematic, if it cannot be fixed.
Sounds like Warren Carter's catapult shot. Warren shot it pretty well though.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3955
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Maverick Morgan of Springboro HS (OH) has informed me Illinois offered him today

http://twitter.com/scott_chihoops
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3956
JJB
Quote:
Maverick Morgan of Springboro HS (OH) has informed me Illinois offered him today
Quote:
De La Salle's Gavin Schilling is still a high-major prospect due to his 6-8 size, athleticism and ability to run the floor. But Schilling remains unpolished and struggles in traffic. His feel for the game and his footwork need to make significant strides.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsrepor..._lee_othe.html

Mmmmmm.....????????
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3957
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
If there is one thing we know about Groce, it is that he has no mercy when it comes to evaluating prospects. Schilling might be a highly ranked in state player, but if Morgan is the better prospect (per Groce) I expect Groce to go after him hard.

Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:55 AM   #3958
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
If there is one thing we know about Groce, it is that he has no mercy when it comes to evaluating prospects. Schilling might be a highly ranked in state player, but if Morgan is the better prospect (per Groce) I expect Groce to go after him hard.
This is what I was alluding to earlier in the thread. Schilling only seems to be highly touted here. Nationally he isn't and now even the local reporters seem to be hedging their bets. A PF that gets lost in traffic is a bit like a SG that cannot shoot or a PG that cannot pass. It's a primary skill.

Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:02 AM   #3959
DaytonIllini
From that same article Paris Lee and Sterling Brown sound like true winners. Lee is the superquick, defensive, able to penetrate at will PG that some think 'fits' Groce's system. From what I can tell he is getting little high major interest presumably due to his size.

I was also surprised by the second article in a row to be somewhat tepid about Kendrick Nunn in a roundabout fashion.

Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3960
justsomedude
Quote:
I assume he'll go after both hard. We desperately need bigs in 2013, and there are only 2 high major prospects in state in 2013, and with the questions around Hamilton, that leaves one. I would guess Groce will go after both Schilling and Morgan hard as we absolutely need one, and could probably use both.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:05 AM   #3961
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
True, but not jumping all over the local kid could hurt us down the road especially when he is being recruited by the big boys. My thought is that by letting James go and not offering Austin, Groce has his PG or two already lined up. He seems to be treating Austin more as a back up option.
I'd be very surprised if Austin doesn't get an offer during the July evaluation period, and Groce uses it as an additional opportunity to generate excitement for Austin.

Having said that, Austin seems like an Abrams clone at this point ... not a true PG and not a great shooter. I still think they'll go hard after him, but I think a lot of people are waiting to see his PG skills this summer.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:20 AM   #3962
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post
It's not getting out of hand...it's BEEN out of hand. And the IHSA will keep doing what it always does with CPL recruiting, look the other way. And we wonder why kids tranfer in college so much
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3963
grkill
Banned
If Groce is not high on Schilling, who else is out there? Morgan seems ok, but he's not ranked high either. I haven't seen neither play, but this board had me excited about Schilling. Both seem like 3 stars but I kept on hearing how Schilling was rising and would be top 100.

What do people think of Hamilton? Will the kid pull it around? He has slipped but isn't his upside higher if a coach can motivate the kid? Or is he just another Eddy Curry who will eat himself away?

Now news is Thomas Hamilton is going to Simeon. I know Izzo has offered Hamilton. Parker is high on MSU also. Is Parker involved so he can motivate Hamilton for there future at MSU?

Has Hamilton gone against Schilling?

Schilling and Morgan have the same schools after them.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:25 AM   #3964
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I assume he'll go after both hard. We desperately need bigs in 2013, and there are only 2 high major prospects in state in 2013, and with the questions around Hamilton, that leaves one. I would guess Groce will go after both Schilling and Morgan hard as we absolutely need one, and could probably use both.
I think he would take both Morgan and Schilling in a heart beat.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:35 AM   #3965
RyanK
Quote:
Agree with this.

Groce and his staff have shown to be extremely dilibrate in giving out offers. They are only going for those who fit their vision for this program. I like it.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3966
Illinoy
2013 pf

I know everyone here talks about Schilling and Maverick Morgan as if they are our only options. Any word on Devin Williams' recruitment from Natti, OH?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3967
bjSnipsNSnaps
"Springboro (Ohio) center Maverick Morgan (@maverick_morgan) has committed to Illinois, he tells the News-Gazette." - Klee on twitter.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:12 AM   #3968
Dan
Admin
Maverick Morgan commits to Illinois!

Thread-
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ad.php?t=18142
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3969
midastouch11
I know many of you aren't twitter people, but D. Jackson and M. Hill have been doing a good amount of chatting today.
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(82.0 KB, 311 views)

Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:05 AM   #3970
grkill
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by midastouch11 View Post
I know many of you aren't twitter people, but D. Jackson and M. Hill have been doing a good amount of chatting today.

Where they going?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3971
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkill View Post
Where they going?
Not exactly sure, might be one of the Top 100 camps. But it appears they have a friendship that can only help Illinois chances.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3972
illinisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkill View Post
Where they going?
I believe the NBPA Top 100 camp in Virginia.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #3973
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Sounds like Warren Carter's catapult shot. Warren shot it pretty well though.
Never hurt Wilkes or Jack Sikma either.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3974
PeoriaSteve
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I think he would take both Morgan and Schilling in a heart beat.
You'd be correct on at least one of those two, Kramer. No suprise to anyone around here that you're wired in as usual.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3975
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Prescient comment.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »