Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Summer Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:27 AM   #26
ctblaisdell83
...trying to load table again...
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(19.8 KB, 185 views)

Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:30 AM   #27
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericac View Post
Mike Thomas on Sat Sportsline indicates he is not a fan of the one and dones...

The implication of this is pretty large. Of course, he doesnt coach the team, but if your boss is not a big fan of that type of system or athlete, I dont think you spend a lot of time recruiting those players.

I am sure others heard that, any thoughts?
I'm not a fan of one and done player's either, but I would take Parker in a second. And I'm sure Thomas is the same way too.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:03 AM   #28
illiniparkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
It's in print version of News Gazette. Klee.
Here is the visit mention online. http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...gan-and-recrui

BTW, there is a major portion of this article that discusses Malcolm Hill (and Maverick Morgan).

Quote:
"I think [Malcolm's] just scratching the surface. He looks young. I think he may even grow a little bit more," [Reggie] Rankin said. "I think his maturity is good for his age. But you can see he's just at the tip of the iceberg, if you will. He's only going to get better.

"He's going to be a good one. He's just going to have to continue to add strength and maintain his aggressiveness and he'll be an excellent, excellent player in John Groce's system, which I have a great feel for."
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #29
AzIlliniFan
Quote:

The implication of this is pretty large. Of course, he doesnt coach the team, but if your boss is not a big fan of that type of system or athlete, I dont think you spend a lot of time recruiting those players.

While I didn't listen to the broadcast might he have been voicing displeasure at the Rule that allows one and done's? Feeling that the rule in general is not in the best interest of college basketball and in most cases the player as well? I have no doubt he would be ecstatic if Parker committed to UI.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #30
zoggle101
I would love to have VanTreese. The kid is bigger than 6'8. He's built to battle on the interior in the Big. This is a no brainier in my opinion if we have room for him. SVT competed for playing time in a solid front court at Louisville and when he played went 100%. I know he missed last year with an injury but this gamble is worth.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:15 AM   #31
ryls
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniparkie View Post
Here is the visit mention online. http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...gan-and-recrui

BTW, there is a major portion of this article that discusses Malcolm Hill (and Maverick Morgan).
Great article about Hill, sounds like a good kid and sounds like he has a huge upside, I believe he is young for his class, good to see he was loyal to the AAU team and didn't just jump to a better team when approached.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:30 AM   #32
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
I would love to have VanTreese. The kid is bigger than 6'8. He's built to battle on the interior in the Big. This is a no brainier in my opinion if we have room for him. SVT competed for playing time in a solid front court at Louisville and when he played went 100%. I know he missed last year with an injury but this gamble is worth.
The way I read it, he's used 2 seasons of eligibility and could potentially have 2 left with the medical redshirt. Is this correct?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:31 AM   #33
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
Louisville transfer Stephen Van Treese visiting this week. 6-8 and could be immediately eligible.
Two years of eligibility or one? Looks like he is quite a rebounder and doesn't shoot unless it's a dunk or a lay up.

Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #34
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
So is Van Treese the "big" mystery recruit?

Based on a lot of these quick fix/bandaid guys, I get the feeling that Groce is not too impressed or optimistic with what he will get out of Mike Shaw.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #35
RoxIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Two years of eligibility or one? Looks like he is quite a rebounder and doesn't shoot unless it's a dunk or a lay up.

We could use a player like this on the inside...

The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:00 AM   #36
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo G View Post
So is Van Treese the "big" mystery recruit?

Based on a lot of these quick fix/bandaid guys, I get the feeling that Groce is not too impressed or optimistic with what he will get out of Mike Shaw.
It's just incredible about Shaw. When he committed to the Illini two years ago, it was a really big deal, a really key commitment for us. Personally, I liked what I saw out of him in his limited playing time last season. I still can't figure out what the knock on him is.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:07 AM   #37
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniWC View Post
...both approaches have value in business...
I think that is not correct. You are trying to get investors behind your business, it is never good to sugar coat things falsly.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 AM   #38
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
It's just incredible about Shaw. When he committed to the Illini two years ago, it was a really big deal, a really key commitment for us. Personally, I liked what I saw out of him in his limited playing time last season. I still can't figure out what the knock on him is.
How many times do we have to repeat this?

Shaw fell in the rankings every year in high school. He matured physically early and was projected to be either a big SF or skilled PF. His senior year of high school was disappointing and he completely vanished against top competition.

Shaw is a short 6'7" with alligator arms that keep him from playing like a true big inside. He isn't explosive enough to make up for a lack of length. Nor does Shaw have the athleticism or skills to play the 3. With a lot of work he could develop into a Brian Johnson type hustling, undersized, below-the-rim big man. But he doesn't have a very aggressive personality, hasn't been the hardest worker and is out of shape. MAYBE Shaw will turn it around, but it isn't hard to see why Groce is looking to backfill inside.

Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:22 AM   #39
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
But he doesn't have a very aggressive personality, hasn't been the hardest worker and is out of shape. MAYBE Shaw will turn it around, but it isn't hard to see why Groce is looking to backfill inside.
There must be something going on with a lack of toughness on the roster. I'm not enthused about becoming Transfer Central University. The best way to build a program is with four-year players. We certainly don't want to become Iowa State. If we need all these band-aids at the outset, Coach Groce must see some glaring holes in the roster. And there seems to be a pattern in our pursuit of transfers: we're looking for guys who aren't five-star skill players, but they're known for their toughness.

Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:27 AM   #40
Wokker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
There must be something going on with a lack of toughness on the roster. I'm not enthused about becoming Transfer Central University. The best way to build a program is with four-year players. We certainly don't want to become Iowa State. If we need all these band-aids at the outset, Coach Groce must see some glaring holes in the roster. And there seems to be a pattern in our pursuit of transfers: we're looking for guys who aren't five-star skill players, but they're known for their toughness.
Hopefully the transfers are just a 1-2 year transition fix, until Groce can get the leg up on his style of hardworking, skilled players in 2014 and on.

I don't mind, so long as players like Rice are ready to contribute immediately after sitting for a year and practicing with the team.

Bringing in transfers is better than starting from the absolute lowest depths of the B1G cellar, a la Indiana.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #41
ryls
Banned
Quote:
I agree, I generally don't like transfers but Mclaurin and Rice will help immediately and maybe Van Treese can too,I believe I heard Pitino say he had recommended he transfer to Bellarmine, Weber said it repeatedly and Groce has mentioned also the lack of toughness, maybe we need the Izzo rebounding drill to teach some toughness.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:35 AM   #42
justsomedude
Quote:

I think the comment was more about the rule, not an indication of whether or not we'll take them. I doubt we'll get Parker or Okafor, but not because we don't want them.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:51 AM   #43
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Hoopniks‏@Hoopniks

Jahlil Okafor said Pitino of L'Ville got him at midnight when the rule changed. Ohio St, Mich St, Duke, GTown, AZ and UNC pushing hardest.

Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:57 AM   #44
grkill
Banned
I guess we dont need him? You would think we would be on that list. Who did Illinois contact at midnight?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:01 PM   #45
Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
If he can play immediately you gotta take him. If he has 2 years of eligibility, that's basically a free recruit. You'll only be rolling over '13 scholarship to '14 to make room for him, which they'll probably do anyway since we only have one scholarship for '14. It doesn't help the point guard situation, but I didn't see much from the returning front-court last season; they can use all the help they can get.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:11 PM   #46
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkill View Post
I guess we dont need him? You would think we would be on that list. Who did Illinois contact at midnight?
I heard the contacted about 50 - 75 kids. They'd love to get Okafor but not really given a chance. All out on big Cliff who will at least give them a chance.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:15 PM   #47
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkill View Post
The only reason Pitino texted JO was because Pitino was waiting for everybody to leave Picino's so he could close it.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:23 PM   #48
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I heard the contacted about 50 - 75 kids. They'd love to get Okafor but not really given a chance. All out on big Cliff who will at least give them a chance.
I'll be stunned if Okafor winds up anywhere other than Kentucky. Cliff Alexander is probably headed to Michigan State, but at least he'll give UI a look.

Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:25 PM   #49
Groundhogday
Quote:
We both watched the epic collapse into a puddle of tears last year. The two biggest problems in past recruiting: (a) PG skills; and (b) toughness. Groce seems to be doing a pretty good job of getting some stop-gap toughness on the roster. Now we'll see if he can find some immediate help at PG.

Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:47 PM   #50
TCTORNADO
Quote:
I'll be stunned if Okafor winds up anywhere other than Kentucky. Cliff Alexander is probably headed to Michigan State, but at least he'll give UI a look.
They will both probably be late signees. 20+ months is a long way to go. Lots of twists and turns ahead. Some people might be stunned to still see Squid still at KY in 20 months.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »