Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:24 AM   #5701
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnIlliniFan View Post
Brown will not be going pro this year and you can take that to the bank. My source is extremely close to brown and the football team. Heard that when spearman was here a couple weeks ago on a visit with another commited recruit that things looked skeptical to brown and the other recruit. I'm not sure who the other recruit was though
*crosses fingers and toes*
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:25 AM   #5702
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Unlike several other star returning players, I have yet to read of Brown taking a dig at the coaches in any way. The guy has been all business. Perhaps LB is the one defensive position I feel good about heading into next season.
I would expect a huge season out of him next year too after a full year in the system.

Totally agree I am really comfortable with LB's next year. And I would say it's a great position for us if we are able to recruit a few safeties and move Thomas to the star.

I've explained it in other threads but the "star" and "leo" are the 2 positions that this defense schemes to have playmakers at. Bussey, Henry and Williams have proved that. A guy like Earnest Thomas will take off in that spot I think.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #5703
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
Powell needs work on conditioning and technique work for getting off blocks.
Which is why it really sucks he couldn't redshirt.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5704
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I would expect a huge season out of him next year too after a full year in the system.

Totally agree I am really comfortable with LB's next year. And I would say it's a great position for us if we are able to recruit a few safeties and move Thomas to the star.

I've explained it in other threads but the "star" and "leo" are the 2 positions that this defense schemes to have playmakers at. Bussey, Henry and Williams have proved that. A guy like Earnest Thomas will take off in that spot I think.
LaCosse seems like the perfect athlete to thrive in a spread system like this that likes the short and intermediate routes.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:09 AM   #5705
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
LaCosse seems like the perfect athlete to thrive in a spread system like this that likes the short and intermediate routes.
I agree. Thought the same of Davis. We just have trouble "Feeding the Studs"
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:27 AM   #5706
Groundhogday
Quote:
I agree. Thought the same of Davis. We just have trouble "Feeding the Studs"
When you don't get many first downs, there aren't enough snaps to go around. Everyone is underutilitzed, except for Scheelhaase who is all too often scrambling for his life.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:31 AM   #5707
quhawks12
Quote:
When you don't get many first downs, there aren't enough snaps to go around. Everyone is underutilitzed, except for Scheelhaase who is all too often scrambling for his life.
That about sums it up.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:33 AM   #5708
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
3 and out.... kills touches for your playmakers and typically will kill your defense with more snaps in a game and could lead to multiple short field situations where the defense allows more points than they would otherwise.

The lack of moving the ball by this offense ripples through the entire team.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:59 AM   #5709
quhawks12
Ok back to recruiting...current list of JUCO offers per Rivals and Scout:

WR - Martize Barr (Committed to Illinois)
WR - Deon Long (Committed to Maryland)
WR - Markeith Ambles
WR - Ted Meline
WR - Jaelen Strong
WR - Corey Smith

OL - Chongo Kondolo
OL - Dallas Hinkhouse
OL - Mike Smithburg

DL - Kyle Kragen
DL - Demetrius Cherry
DL - Marcus Hardison
DL - Ben Bradley (Committed to Tennessee)
DL - Abens Cajuste
DL - Marcus Dallas

DB - Cassius Sendish
DB - Zane Petty
DB - David Guthrie
DB - Esston Al-Uqdah

I believe we now know our positions of need.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:01 AM   #5710
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Hopefully we are able to get some of these guys and they can provide depth, I'm not even counting on major production from JUCO guys, but if you can upgrade the number 2 guy in the depth chart, that helps immensely.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:07 AM   #5711
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
Hopefully we are able to get some of these guys and they can provide depth, I'm not even counting on major production from JUCO guys, but if you can upgrade the number 2 guy in the depth chart, that helps immensely.
Exactly.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5712
quhawks12
247sports did a top 5 JUCO sleepers and at #4 is Zane Petty

Illinois is the leader by default but apparently he'd stay out west if at all possible.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5713
AHSIllini32
Banned
Holy God our JUCO offers exploded. Beckman and co. know they need guys who will step in and play right away.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:24 AM   #5714
PaytonHighstep
Quote:

WR - Martize Barr (Committed to Illinois)
WR - Deon Long (Committed to Maryland)
WR - Markeith Ambles
WR - Ted Meline
WR - Jaelen Strong
WR - Corey Smith

OL - Chongo Kondolo
OL - Dallas Hinkhouse
OL - Mike Smithburg

DL - Kyle Kragen
DL - Demetrius Cherry
DL - Marcus Hardison
DL - Ben Bradley (Committed to Tennessee)
DL - Abens Cajuste
DL - Marcus Dallas

DB - Cassius Sendish
DB - Zane Petty
DB - David Guthrie
DB - Esston Al-Uqdah

What surprises me about this list, is there are only 3 OL targets on it. I feel this position alone has led to our current state of the program.

I know we have fairly young, inexperienced prospects on our team right now, but I would have thought we would hit the JUCO route harder for some OL that can potentially start next seaon.

I saw a post that showed we do have young kids with potential, but we need them to perform next year if we don't land some JUCO OL. That could spell another season of disaster on the OL if we are relying on youngsters.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5715
quhawks12

WR - Martize Barr (166) (Committed to Illinois)
WR - Deon Long (13) (Committed to Maryland)
WR - Markeith Ambles (37)
WR - Ted Meline (75)
WR - Jaelen Strong (33)
WR - Corey Smith (6)

OL - Chongo Kondolo (162)
OL - Dallas Hinkhouse (145)
OL - Mike Smithburg (135)

DL - Kyle Kragen
DL - Demetrius Cherry
DL - Marcus Hardison (21)
DL - Ben Bradley (42) (Committed to Tennessee)
DL - Abens Cajuste (111)
DL - Marcus Dallas

DB - Cassius Sendish (59)
DB - Zane Petty
DB - David Guthrie
DB - Esston Al-Uqdah

Added their 247sports JUCO Top 150 Ranking.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:32 AM   #5716
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonHighstep View Post
What surprises me about this list, is there are only 3 OL targets on it. I feel this position alone has led to our current state of the program.

I know we have fairly young, inexperienced prospects on our team right now, but I would have thought we would hit the JUCO route harder for some OL that can potentially start next seaon.
You have to understand we can't offer JUCO's like we do HS kids. It's much more difficult to offer these guys in to school. I believe Coach Golesh said we could probably offer 15 of the top 100 kids in JUCO due to academics. So unfortunately we have to be selective in the JUCO ranks.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:17 AM   #5717
Sure Shot
Banned
Quote:

WR - Martize Barr (166) (Committed to Illinois)
WR - Deon Long (13) (Committed to Maryland)
WR - Markeith Ambles (37)
WR - Ted Meline (75)
WR - Jaelen Strong (33)
WR - Corey Smith (6)

OL - Chongo Kondolo (162)
OL - Dallas Hinkhouse (145)
OL - Mike Smithburg (135)

DL - Kyle Kragen
DL - Demetrius Cherry
DL - Marcus Hardison (21)
DL - Ben Bradley (42) (Committed to Tennessee)
DL - Abens Cajuste (111)
DL - Marcus Dallas

DB - Cassius Sendish (59)
DB - Zane Petty
DB - David Guthrie
DB - Esston Al-Uqdah

Added their 247sports JUCO Top 150 Ranking.
A bunch of great names on that list. That's how you know they're good.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #5718
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
A bunch of great names on that list. That's how you know they're good.
You have a guy with the first name of Dallas and a guy with the last name of Dallas, what a list of names.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5719
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
You have to understand we can't offer JUCO's like we do HS kids. It's much more difficult to offer these guys in to school. I believe Coach Golesh said we could probably offer 15 of the top 100 kids in JUCO due to academics. So unfortunately we have to be selective in the JUCO ranks.

Oh, sorry, I get that and understand it. I was just seeing how this puzzle is playing out and next year doesn't seem to be anything different across the OL, unless we get dramatic increases from our current players on the roster.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5720
quhawks12
Quote:
Oh, sorry, I get that and understand it. I was just seeing how this puzzle is playing out and next year doesn't seem to be anything different across the OL, unless we get dramatic increases from our current players on the roster.

Sorry for the confusion.
Nope...we are good man! I figured you knew but some others might not?

Anyway, we have a slew of OL that would normally be getting their turn next season (3rd year in program). So, like you said hopefully one or two of them are ready to make the jump then mix with one or two JUCO's and Karras.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:54 AM   #5721
Groundhogday
Quote:
Nope...we are good man! I figured you knew but some others might not?

Anyway, we have a slew of OL that would normally be getting their turn next season (3rd year in program). So, like you said hopefully one or two of them are ready to make the jump then mix with one or two JUCO's and Karras.
The development of next year's RS-freshmen (Bain and Spencer), and RS-Sophs (McDowell, Flavin, Durkin, Karras, Nowicki) will be the key to our offense. Hopefully we can add an OL or two via the JC route, but if the younger guys currently in the system don't improve we are going to be in trouble.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:57 AM   #5722
PaytonHighstep
Here are a couple of instate high school seniors, that I have read articles on over at the scout site, that may get some late interest. Anyone know anything about Andrew Geers or Randy Heideman? Also, I remember a kid from Ohio(?) named Kyle Meadows.

What is the status of these players with Illinois? Not saying these guys would be the immediate answer, just wondering.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5723
blmillini
Quote:
The development of next year's RS-freshmen (Bain and Spencer), and RS-Sophs (McDowell, Flavin, Durkin, Karras, Nowicki) will be the key to our offense. Hopefully we can add an OL or two via the JC route, but if the younger guys currently in the system don't improve we are going to be in trouble.
What do you know about our young guys GHD? The thing I noticed this year was that our linemen just don't seem to have very quick feet. There have been plays where we pull a guard and he has no chance of getting in position in time. Have you seen the same thing? Do any of these guys have the right combination of speed and strength or a chance to get there?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:10 PM   #5724
quhawks12
Quote:
3rd year in the program is the year of the jump. And we need that from McDowell, Flavin, Durkin, Karras, Nowicki and O'Connel now that he's an OL. Honestly next season is on these guys shoulders.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5725
quhawks12
Quote:
Here are a couple of instate high school seniors, that I have read articles on over at the scout site, that may get some late interest. Anyone know anything about Andrew Geers or Randy Heideman? Also, I remember a kid from Ohio(?) named Kyle Meadows.

What is the status of these players with Illinois? Not saying these guys would be the immediate answer, just wondering.
I don't believe we have offered either IL kids. Does not mean we won't at some point.

Meadows I think we are out on...not our choice if you know what I mean.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »