Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Conference Realignment Thread (Maryland & Rutgers join the Big Ten conference)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
No no no, not this again!
Quote:
The new $50 million exit fee for an ACC member to leave the league may not stand in the way of conference realignment after all.

Late Friday night, Pennsylvania radio host Jerry Fisher tweeted that sources told Phil Grosz, the Penn State editor for Rivals.com, that Maryland is set to join the Big Ten in 2014 with an announcement coming next week. Jeff Ermann of Inside Maryland Sports then indicated in a post that the rumors are "more than just rumors."

With Pittsburgh and Syracuse set to join the ACC next year and realignment having seemingly taken a back seat with the ACC at 14 members, certainly these rumors seemed to come out of nowhere.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ce=twitterfeed
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Sure Shot
Banned
DO NOT WANT

And I don't buy this. If this was going to happen, it would have already happened.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Dan
Admin
No. No. No. La-la-la I can't hear you!
Quote:
Maryland, Rutgers to Big Ten?

The University of Maryland is in serious negotiations to join the Big Ten Conference, sources told ESPN.com on Saturday.

If Maryland goes to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

No date has been set for an potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.

Maryland president Wallace Loh has been handling the conversation with Big Ten officials, a source said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ce-sources-say
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:14 PM   #4
ILLiniJoe32390
I always like Maryland. And having Rutgers football join the B1G wouldn't be such a bad thing
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
DO NOT WANT

And I don't buy this. If this was going to happen, it would have already happened.
Totally agree. Talk about being the odd man out.Would they be a Leader or a Legend?

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
ILLINISTU
Ahhh. I posted prematurely. I did not read the Rutgers part, I was reacting to an odd amount of teams. I still do not want. I think the better 14 would have included Notre Dame and Missouri, but that's can't happen now.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:19 PM   #7
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
DO NOT WANT

I'm not sure if I want the Terps or not. It's a good school academically, good hoops and okay but not great at FB. Would bring the DelMarVa tv market and open a solid recruiting area to B1G teams.

The next question is who's coming with them? Don't see the B1G adding a 13th team. With Cuse and Pitt headed to the ACC I just don't see another program out there worth adding. Rutgers is out there, and I see them as jumping at a chance to join the B1G, but they don't move the needle for me.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Dan
Admin
This is terrible. Awful.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
AHSIllini32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINISTU View Post
Totally agree. Talk about being the odd man out.Would they be a Leader or a Legend?
They wouldn't be the odd man out as Rutgers would apparently follow them.

This makes sense to me. Adds the eastern market more for the B1G. Allows them to add another conference game. Larger TV markets and more money.

I think it may cause a change to the division names as well potentially.

Perhaps do an east and west?

East:
Maryland
Rutgers
OSU
UM
PSU
IU
MSU

West:
Illinois
PU
UN
Iowa
Minny
NU
Wisky

You preserve most of the rivalries and get a true geographic split with divisions. Pretty even too I'd say.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:22 PM   #10
champaignchris
The supscription fees alone from the BTN going basic cable in Baltimore and DC area makes it a worthwhile expansion, monetarily.

The question then becomes, who's next?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Maryland, Rutgers in serious talks about move to Big Ten Conference

Maryland and Rutgers are in advanced discussions with the Big Ten about joining the conference, multiple sources have told Yahoo! Sports.

Nothing is official yet, but tentative plans for announcements from the two schools that they are leaving their current leagues could come early next week, sources said. Maryland is a founding member of the Atlantic Coast Conference and Rutgers has been a member of the Big East since 1991.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...o-big-ten.html
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This is terrible. Awful.
I don't see it as awful. I wouldn't run up to Chambana to do a flying chest bump with you over it, but not anything for me to get too upset about. A meh event for me I suppose.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Leonardite
Who is being added to the ACC? Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh... Did UConn get added too?

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:24 PM   #14
drillini
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ce-sources-say
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:24 PM   #15
cali illini
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:26 PM   #16
gibb52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Who is being added to the ACC? Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh... Did UConn get added too?
Cuse and Pitt in 2014. ND sometime after that IIRC.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Leonardite
If this does happen, do the divisions go East-West?

East: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue

West: Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern

???

Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue would all be interchangeable.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:28 PM   #18
jackman404
I guess this is the Big Ten finally giving up on ever getting Notre Dame. Personally I'm surprised that the Big Ten values Maryland over Missouri (if this is true).

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:29 PM   #19
AHSIllini32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackman404 View Post
I guess this is the Big Ten finally giving up on ever getting Notre Dame. Personally I'm surprised that the Big Ten values Maryland over Missouri (if this is true).
They are never going to get missouri now that they've gone to the SEC.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:30 PM   #20
illinifan3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb52 View Post
Cuse and Pitt in 2014. ND sometime after that IIRC.
ND's in 2015 I think.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:36 PM   #21
illinicb
Quote:
The ND and Mizzou ships have sailed.

My daughter is a freshman at Maryland so this hits home with me. I hope it can't be rolled out for a few years because I don't want to see a UIUC vs. UMD game where I have to root against my daughter's school's team. But I will if I have to.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:37 PM   #22
drillini
Quote:
Missouri does not open any new doors....we are already in the St. Louis market. Maryland opens up the beltway with DC and Baltimore. Rutgers opens up NJ and NY. Those two schools do go well with Penn St. Those schools do fit in with the Big Ten but are not glamorous from an athletic point of view. However, money is the big motivator for this.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:37 PM   #23
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan3923 View Post
ND's in 2015 I think.
Where is UConn...? Listen, if we're going to 14, why not just do 16?

Add UConn and another Big East school and call it a conference.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:44 PM   #24
IlliniSteve
Doesn't really make sense, might as well add 3 more and go with Big Ten and a Half
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:44 PM   #25
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
The ND and Mizzou ships have sailed.

My daughter is a freshman at Maryland so this hits home with me. I hope it can't be rolled out for a few years because I don't want to see a UIUC vs. UMD game where I have to root against my daughter's school's team. But I will if I have to.
Gotta do what you gotta do
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »