Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
The Class of 2013 sent in their NLOIs last Wednesday, so it's time to start over with a brand new hoops recruiting thread.

Illinois Basketball Class of 2013-

* Austin Colbert
* Malcolm Hill
* Maverick Morgan
* Kendrick Nunn
* Jaylon Tate

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...111412aac.html
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Letswinagain
Thanks, Dan. It will be interesting to watch how the next two recruiting classes evolve as Coach Groce and his staff build upon the outstanding work they did in their first seven months as Illini.

I feel that the arrow definitely is pointing up for Illini basketball, and watching how the entire program -- recruiting, player development and game strategies -- evolves, should be very entertaining.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3
midastouch11
Alright! A new thread!

Sucks that KBD chose to go to Ohio State, but thankfully, Groce and co. are nationwide recruiters. We fans are used to listing five targets (mostly all in state), and that is no longer the case. If our 2014 includes three guys, we probably haven't heard of at least one of them.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Selfconfour
Banned
Hoping for a home run out of the gate. But I guess baby steps first are in order. Just a s long as we get there.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Redbirds33333
Give me Finke and a solid PG for 2014 and I will be happy...2015 is the year we get our Studs.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Sports101 on 1450
Sure, KBD would have been a great "get," but we didn't, so lets move on. What IS important, is realizing how good a job coach Groce and staff did getting the 2013 class in just a few months on the job.

I firmly believe that the word is out, Groce and staff are going to be players in the recruiting wars. No longer will Illinois limit itself as it pertains to areas it will search for talent.

The arrow is pointing up ladies and gentleman. Sure, we'll miss out on some recruits, but in the long run, I see great things for this program.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
cosmicpowers
Maybe it's just rationalization, but it feels like the closure of the prior recruiting thread after KBD commits to tOSU is perfectly timed.

The prior thread = let's see who JG can get/retain/sign by November for next year, plus the one 2014 we were all-in on.

Now that's done, we've got the season to demonstrate style/results, plus another year before the '14s can sign - the perfect time to "reset" across the board.

Also, it's kind of exciting to have so few posts in the thread - if I check back and see that 10 pages have been added in a few minutes, I know something's up
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:58 AM   #8
BurritoHead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports101 on 1450 View Post
Sure, KBD would have been a great "get," but we didn't, so lets move on. What IS important, is realizing how good a job coach Groce and staff did getting the 2013 class in just a few months on the job.

I firmly believe that the word is out, Groce and staff are going to be players in the recruiting wars. No longer will Illinois limit itself as it pertains to areas it will search for talent.

The arrow is pointing up ladies and gentleman. Sure, we'll miss out on some recruits, but in the long run, I see great things for this program.

You nailed it - there's a long way to go before the 2014 class is in the books.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:19 AM   #9
OrangeAndBlue217
Well either way we still have one scholarship for 2014 regardless, so come on Cliff Alexander!! I would take him over KBD any day!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Madturkillini
For me one thing is for sure. It will hurt to see the Top 3 Illinois kids from 2014 class:
KBD in Ohio State jersey
Okafor in Kentucky jersey
CA in MichState jersey

I think Groce made a good start, not spectacular, in terms of recruiting. I know Illinois basketball program has been down lately, but look at Ohio State program when Matta took over, or Indiana program when Crean took over, and think how fast these guys were able to recruit final 4 talent? THEY didn't need to win first to attract 5* studs, but we do. I still have faith in Groce, but I admit he is not as good a recruiter as some other coaches out there.

As far as programs go, I think the coach is more important than the school. Calipari will bring in 5* talent wherever he goes. Ohio State was not a great basketball program before Matta came, but they instantly became one. If Groce was as good a recruiter as some of us believe, he would have shown that in Ohio even. A great recruiter would be able to land some 4* talent to Ohio, and some 5* talent to Illinois.

Having said that, he will do fine though in long term, I believe. If I was a great player, I would love to play for a coach like Groce because he really sounds like a hardworking, honest man, who will strive to help his players develop. But in today's world 5* recruits are just looking for the right person who will inject them to NBA in 1 season, and apparently they don't see Groce as one, including KBD.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #11
PeoriaChief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbirds33333 View Post
Give me Finke and a solid PG for 2014 and I will be happy...2015 is the year we get our Studs.
You know how many years and times we have said that? Almost every year it's well 2013 is the year of resurgence because there's Parker and Alex Foster and we lead for both and have a realistic shot at landing them. That doesn't work and its 2014 with Okafor and Alexander, KBD, Peyton Allen, and Larry Austin. Now 2015. You can't even say we lead on Hyron Edwars, DJ Williams or Charles Matthews yet because the real recruiting game for them hasn't even started yet. Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky don't need to look 2 years into the future. The time will come when they will pop into the picture for these 2015 kids and when they do that's when we will see where the Illini stand.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #12
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoriaChief View Post
You know how many years and times we have said that? Almost every year it's well 2013 is the year of resurgence because there's Parker and Alex Foster and we lead for both and have a realistic shot at landing them. That doesn't work and its 2014 with Okafor and Alexander, KBD, Peyton Allen, and Larry Austin. Now 2015. You can't even say we lead on Hyron Edwars, DJ Williams or Charles Matthews yet because the real recruiting game for them hasn't even started yet. Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky don't need to look 2 years into the future. The time will come when they will pop into the picture for these 2015 kids and when they do that's when we will see where the Illini stand.
2013 was just a top 10-20 class. Got a stud in Hill, imo. We didn't get Parker, but we didn't want Foster. Foster is a midmajor type, imo. Why even mention him? Groce didn't want him or Tommy Hamilton. We got the second and third best players out of the state in Hill and Nunn. Not bad.

2014 we still have a chance to have a good class. KBD is a loss, no doubt. We don't want Peyton Allen, so why mention him? We still have a shot at Austin but there may be better options out there. Finke is a riser who is getting good offers. He has a chance to be a 6-10 kid with shooting and ballhandling skills. I hope he becomes an Illini.

2015 is mentioned because the class is loaded and it is the next time we have a boatload of scholarships available.

I don't get the gloom and doom. Yes, we can't reload as fast as Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. You are talking about the top four programs in the country and we are not one of them. However, Indiana is considered a top program and it took them longer than two years to reload.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #13
midastouch11
Quote:
Originally Posted by combes View Post
2013 was just a top 10-20 class. Got a stud in Hill, imo. We didn't get Parker, but we didn't want Foster. Foster is a midmajor type, imo. Why even mention him? Groce didn't want him or Tommy Hamilton. We got the second and third best players out of the state in Hill and Nunn. Not bad.

2014 we still have a chance to have a good class. KBD is a loss, no doubt. We don't want Peyton Allen, so why mention him? We still have a shot at Austin but there may be better options out there. Finke is a riser who is getting good offers. He has a chance to be a 6-10 kid with shooting and ballhandling skills. I hope he becomes an Illini.

2015 is mentioned because the class is loaded and it is the next time we have a boatload of scholarships available.

I don't get the gloom and doom. Yes, we can't reload as fast as Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky. You are talking about the top four programs in the country and we are not one of them. However, Indiana is considered a top program and it took them longer than two years to reload.
Regarding Finke, our fanbase has the propensity to compare any white forward as either Archibald, Augustine, or Cole. It appears Finke has been lumped in as Cole, and because of that we are dooming and glooming.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Leonardite
Finke is no guarantee to come here either. I'd be worried about Wisconsin.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:43 AM   #15
frasergs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturkillini View Post
For me one thing is for sure. It will hurt to see the Top 3 Illinois kids from 2014 class:
KBD in Ohio State jersey
CA in MichState jersey

As far as programs go, I think the coach is more important than the school. Calipari will bring in 5* talent wherever he goes. Ohio State was not a great basketball program before Matta came, but they instantly became one. If Groce was as good a recruiter as some of us believe, he would have shown that in Ohio even. A great recruiter would be able to land some 4* talent to Ohio, and some 5* talent to Illinois.

Having said that, he will do fine though in long term, I believe. If I was a great player, I would love to play for a coach like Groce because he really sounds like a hardworking, honest man, who will strive to help his players develop. But in today's world 5* recruits are just looking for the right person who will inject them to NBA in 1 season, and apparently they don't see Groce as one, including KBD.
Maybe not great but they were very, very good. O'Brien coached the Buckeyes to the 1999 Final Four, 2000 and 2002 Big Ten regular-season co-championships, the 2002 Big Ten Tournament Championship, four 20-win seasons and a school record four-consecutive NCAA tournament appearances (1999-2002). Much better than Illinois' history in the years just prior to Groce taking over.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 AM   #16
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madturkillini View Post
KBD in Ohio State jersey
CA in MichState jersey

I think Groce made a good start, not spectacular, in terms of recruiting. I know Illinois basketball program has been down lately, but look at Ohio State program when Matta took over, or Indiana program when Crean took over, and think how fast these guys were able to recruit final 4 talent? THEY didn't need to win first to attract 5* studs, but we do. I still have faith in Groce, but I admit he is not as good a recruiter as some other coaches out there.

By the November after his hire, Matta had pulled exactly one 3 star and a JC prospect. Groce has done much better. Matta had a huge class in year two, but that class didn't commit until they had seen a year of his system. In addition, Matta was at Xavier, that class consisted entirely of players he was already recruiting from an AAU program he had long had ties to. Neither is the case with KBD.

Groce had by far the most talented team in the MAC, including a 4 star transfer. He was the only coach in the MAC to even have one 3 star guy in each of the last 3 classes, so he recruited better than his peers at that level. In addition, the B1G has had only 13 5* kids in the last 5 classes (2008 - 2012). Four to both MSU and OSU, 2 to IU and one to three others, so it's not like everyone pulls in multiple 5 stars regularly. I would be willing to wager that Groce will be able to get at least 2 5* guys in the next 5 years (which would put him top 3 in the B1G), and this doesn't change that imo.

Way too early to conclude that no 5* guy will see Groce as a guy to get them to the league.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:44 AM   #17
Illinifn79
Banned
Quote:

People are also forgetting Rice as part of the 13 group.

The 2015 group can turn out to be the great one. With that group you have Smith talking up Illinois and everybody knows Simeon has some great talent coming out of that group. There is no doubt we will be players for them and serious players. Groce got Smith on board and that was HUGE. With a limited number of scholarships available for next season KBD doesnt hurt so bad. Get a PG and a big bodied banger and move to the 15 class with Smith.

In all fairness KBD has always loved OSU and Groce had 7 months on the job. He spent a majority of that landing the class he did and KBD committed real early because OSU is where he always wanted to go. Move on he wasn't our biggest need anyways
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:45 AM   #18
OrangeAndBlue217
Did anyone see the video of K Nunn posted yesterday or a couple of days ago? I cant remember which thread it was in, but he appears to have gotten taller and stronger and his athleticism is off the charts. That is something I do not recall seeing so much of in his older highlight tapes.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:48 AM   #19
justsomedude
Quote:
And while there certainly aren't any guarantees, it doesn't hurt that they both play for the AAU program we have the best relationship with, and one (for now) with the high school we have the best relationship with.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:48 AM   #20
illini73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Finke is no guarantee to come here either. I'd be worried about Wisconsin.
Wisconsin has already signed two forwards for 2013 that play Finke's same position. I cannot speak for Finke, but I would guess this will go through his mind a time or two when thinking about Wisconsin.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Redbirds33333
Quote:

+1

I think Hill is a star and Finke is very underrated. I am very confident Groce will get us back on the national radar...Just give him some time to get established in these newer recruiting circles.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:00 PM   #22
brosox
Question: If Finke says today that he will accept our offer, do we take him? Or, do we concentrate on first finding a point guard and then taking Finke only once we know that someone is leaving the program so we have an open scholarship? As much as I would like to get Finke (and not have a local kid come back to bite us in the future), I guess I would favor locking down a point guard first as solid point guards are the key to Groce's system and I am still not sure if Tate is the answer. Of course, maybe the coaches already know that someone will be leaving at semester break, so maybe they will feel they have two scholarships to work with and can take both Finke and a point guard. Should be interesting.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:03 PM   #23
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosox View Post
Question: If Finke says today that he will accept our offer, do we take him? Or, do we concentrate on first finding a point guard and then taking Finke only once we know that someone is leaving the program so we have an open scholarship? As much as I would like to get Finke (and not have a local kid come back to bite us in the future), I guess I would favor locking down a point guard first as solid point guards are the key to Groce's system and I am still not sure if Tate is the answer. Of course, maybe the coaches already know that someone will be leaving at semester break, so maybe they will feel they have two scholarships to work with and can take both Finke and a point guard. Should be interesting.
You take him IMO. There most definitely will be room for another player to sign at Illinois. I don't know who but it would be unusual for something not to open up.

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 PM   #24
Redbirds33333
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosox View Post
I think you absolutely take him. A lot can happen between now and 2014 signing day. I don't see an issue if we oversign by 1 (or 2 or 7..Indiana).
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:17 PM   #25
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Did anyone see the video of K Nunn posted yesterday or a couple of days ago? I cant remember which thread it was in, but he appears to have gotten taller and stronger and his athleticism is off the charts. That is something I do not recall seeing so much of in his older highlight tapes.
Nunn showing off his athleticism:

http://ballislife.com/kendrick-nunn-...nd-alley-oops/

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »