Banned
Had to watch Hightlight Express on Espnnews to get hghlights smh
Illinifn79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:17 PM   #202
Rich
JFG Fan Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskie44 View Post
sometimes after the games Dan posts Groces post game comments, any one know where he gets them? I would love to read them...
Plot Twist: Dan IS John Groce.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
Rich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:17 PM   #203
Dan
Admin
YES

Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:17 PM   #204
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
9 Observations from the Butler Game:

2. I hope we can put to rest once and for all any question about whether the cupboard was bare at Illinois this season. We have several extremely talented players and even more quality players who can play key roles. For those who thought that the 15-3 record was a fluke while the 2-12 collapse was the "real" measure of these players, that was plainly wrong. These guys can play basketball at a very high level. The change in philosophy and systems has been a perfect match for this group, and it has given them new life. These guys need to be recognized for the talented players that they are in a system that matches their skills.

7. As good as our offense has been, the part of our game that has impressed me the most is the way our players have mastered a completely new defensive system. I thought that our superior length and athleticism could make us even better than Ohio on defense, and it appears we are headed there.

Go Illini!
It is fantastic watching a coach that lets these guys play and plays to their strengths... refreshing!!!
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:18 PM   #205
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruIllini89 View Post
Quote of the day by the announcers "The Illini are a great passing Team"
They've praised our strengths, ball handling, shooting, passing!

Never would have guessed a month ago, now get some rebounding and inside game and this team could be special.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:19 PM   #206
Tron2010
This team is 40 minutes of excitement! And its nice that we score in the second half before the 14:00 mark!
Tron2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:19 PM   #207
chiefini
Quote:

1. First, it is really great to see Brandon Paul, DJ Richardson, Tyler Griffey, and Sam McClaurin achieve something really special in their final year at Illinois. No matter what, they have done something special by winning the Maui Classic. Not only did they dominate every game, but they never trailed in any game in the Maui Classic.

2. I hope we can put to rest once and for all any question about whether the cupboard was bare at Illinois this season. We have several extremely talented players and even more quality players who can play key roles. For those who thought that the 15-3 record was a fluke while the 2-12 collapse was the "real" measure of these players, that was plainly wrong. These guys can play basketball at a very high level. The change in philosophy and systems has been a perfect match for this group, and it has given them new life. These guys need to be recognized for the talented players that they are in a system that matches their skills.

3. One key to this game is that the Illini were able to dictate the tempo, which I found surprising. Stevens is a fine coach, but a major part of our ability to dominate was forcing Butler to play our game. Coach Groce talked about "setting the rules" in the game, and we did.

4. Butler plays an extremely physical game, but our Illini fought them toe to toe. Tracy has made a huge sophomore leap, and he has become the heart of this team. He brings both physical and mental toughness to the entire team.

5. The player who has made the biggest leap in some respects is Tyler Griffey. Some fans suggested that Tyler "is what he is after three years" and could not become a major factor for this team. Tyler has proven them wrong. He is the clearest example of the huge impact of the aggressive philosophy and playing style that the new staff has brought to our team.

6. I would be remiss to not mention the incredible game turned in by Rotnei Clarke. I remember seeing video of him in high school, and I thought he would become a special player. He has become a special player. It just goes to show that the ability to handle and shoot the ball are more important than size and athleticism in college basketball.

7. As good as our offense has been, the part of our game that has impressed me the most is the way our players have mastered a completely new defensive system. I thought that our superior length and athleticism could make us even better than Ohio on defense, and it appears we are headed there.

8. The most amazing comment by an announcer about this Illini team: "It's so tough to press a team like the Illini with so many ballhandlers!" How many Illini fans thought we would hear that this season!

9. Let's enjoy the heck out of this great Maui trip. My only concern is that some of our fans will be jumping off ledges -- no, not out of desperation, but because they think they can fly! Stop flapping your arms and stay on the ledge. We have made great progress up to this point, but we have a long way to go, and likely some tough days ahead. We have played well, but we have also been smiled on by the basketball gods in terms of the opponents we have faced. Stay thirsty, my friends!

Go Illini!
As a relatively new follower who seldom posts (started during the coaching search), I have to give you a shout out, Illini70math. Another poster asked where your 9 observations were after the first game, and I had no idea what he was talking about. Now I know. I find myself REALLY looking forward to them, too. Thanks for the sound, specific critiques (that are well-written and grammatically correct). They are spot on, and they've been really fun to read, especially in light of Illini victories. Keep 'em coming, please

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 PM   #208
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
YES
Terrific photo! And MT sure looks happy, maybe even relieved that this hire is looking so good .
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 PM   #209
IlliniSteve
We got ourselves a hell of a coach fellas and it feels damn good
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 PM   #210
sugmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
:rolleyes: It was pretty obvious. Even Bilas mentioned it a few times.
I still think Jay Bilas is one of the best college bball announcers on television. I dislike the ACC bias as much as anyone but he has always been complimentary of our program and I think he calls a great game.

and I agree HOC - I realize I have the benefit of DVR but some of those calls were so blatantly obvious I have no idea what those guys in stripes were watching.

great job by the team tonight and by Coach. I am like Archibald though - I keep having flashbacks during the game (especially when it was getting tight). it must just be PTSD from the last 5 yrs.
sugmeister is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:21 PM   #211
Orangetool
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
It is fantastic watching a coach that lets these guys play and plays to their strengths... refreshing!!!
Refreshing, and pretty damning of the previous regime's inability to do just that.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:21 PM   #212
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Plot Twist: Dan IS John Groce.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
HAHA. Awesome is all I can say...wish I was creative enough to think of something like that...POD for me.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:21 PM   #213
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#MVP @BP3 with his hardware! #Illini #MauiChamps @EASportsMauiInv http://twitpic.com/bfb4ok

http://twitter.com/IlliniHoops
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:22 PM   #214
schnaurt
Quote:

8. The most amazing comment by an announcer about this Illini team: "It's so tough to press a team like the Illini with so many ballhandlers!" How many Illini fans thought we would hear that this season!

:laugh: I was laughing as soon as he said it. Was it Rafferty or Bilas?

Last edited by Dan; Nov 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
schnaurt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:22 PM   #215
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron2010 View Post
This team is 40 minutes of excitement! And its nice that we score in the second half before the 14:00 mark!
I disagree. We have been about 35 minutes of excitement in every game I've watched. I cant wait to see them when they are getting a full 40 minutes in lol. Seems like they always have that "stretch" where they go flat and stand around to much, but it had to be tough playing 3 games in a row like that. It's good that Groce can still have teaching moments to show these guys even though they just kicked some major ass lol.
JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:22 PM   #216
Orangetool
Quote:
Terrific photo! And MT sure looks happy, maybe even relieved that this hire is looking so good .
Perhaps just really happy to be thousands of miles from Memorial Stadium.

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:23 PM   #217
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron2010 View Post
I'd forgotten how much we struggled during that time period...
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #218
rrmarte
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
I would add the comments regarding how great an environment it would be at the Assembly Hall once again.
YES!! Most certainly. I loved that one too. It's exciting to hear good stuff about the program now. The feel is different and definitely going in a positive direction.
rrmarte is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:24 PM   #219
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaurt View Post
Quote:

I laughed a lot more when Bilas said we were a good passing team :laugh:

JimmyChitwood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 PM   #220
rrmarte
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaurt View Post
Quote:

Raff

rrmarte is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:26 PM   #221
plooger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessd24 View Post
Twas a small jab not meant to cause any trouble.
If not looking to cause any trouble, why jab?
plooger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:27 PM   #222
UIUC1867
I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I'm thankful that Illini BB is enjoyable again (amongst many things to be thankful for).

Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 PM   #223
BigTenChamp87
Anyone notice how Groce got cropped out of the picture? Somehow I feel he would have it no other way; let his players get the spotlight.
BigTenChamp87 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 PM   #224
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 PM   #225
Mark Seifert
Quote:
Haha, yep... he completely has that "Photo op with a winnah! Wooo... I gotta get in on this pic!" look.
Mark Seifert is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »