Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Serious heat on Tim Beckman at Illinois

Closed Thread

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:13 PM   #701
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
Just a question - if Thomas were to pull the trigger, don't you think other candidates could see exactly why after this season?
There has already been reports that MT didn't exactly get along with some of his other coaches. It's obvious weber isn't his biggest fan too. If MT fired Beckman after this season, it would ensure we would never get anyone worth getting during his time here.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:14 PM   #702
kcib8130
WIU alum
Dave Wischnowsky ‏@wischlist
Have now heard from more than one connected person that there are indications Tim Beckman won't return to #Illini in 2013. We shall see.

dont know how valid this is...but its out there.

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:14 PM   #703
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazboy22 View Post
Don't believe that Beckman will get fired...and if they keep him next year they can't fire him either cuz everyone already knows that illinois is gonna be bad next year. So give him time or kill it now
I agree.

Next year will be the bottom rung of a rebuild. Thomas needs to decide if he wants Beckman or an alternative leading that charge. From a purely football standpoint there isnt much lost by cutting ties now other than a recruiting class.

From a PR, financial etc etc is where the difficulties lie
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:28 PM   #704
Ramrod2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcib8130 View Post
Have now heard from more than one connected person that there are indications Tim Beckman won't return to #Illini in 2013. We shall see.

Holy crap...Dave isn't exactly not connected so for him to be hearing this I would assume means there is some smoke there.

Last edited by Ramrod2010; Nov 24, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:31 PM   #705
illinidarrin
If this happens, i pray that we dont lose our top recruits. If that happens, it may get worse.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:32 PM   #706
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:

Wow! I would still be surprised to see anything come of this, but wow!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:32 PM   #707
frankfortillini
Thomas just better not make any move without having someone locked up.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:33 PM   #708
Aaron
Beckman isn't getting fired.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:34 PM   #709
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod2010 View Post
Holy crap...Dave isn't exactly not connected so for for him to be hearing this I would assume means there is some smoke there.
There might be smoke but not necessarily any fire to this rumor.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:35 PM   #710
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
If this happens, i pray that we dont lose our top recruits. If that happens, it may get worse.
This.

I still stand by my position that Beckman will return. If he leaves after one year, I think it'll be of his own volition. I just have a real hard time seeing MT fire his own hire after only one year.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:39 PM   #711
GilThorpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivetNaz View Post
This.

I still stand by my position that Beckman will return. If he leaves after one year, I think it'll be of his own volition. I just have a real hard time seeing MT fire his own hire after only one year.
I agree with this. I have a real hard time believing MT would fire him after one year, and I have a hard believing TB would quit after a year, unless there are some other off field type issues at play here, in which case a firing or quitting scenario is certainly in play.

I guess we will find out in a day or so.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:41 PM   #712
illinidarrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post
I agree with this. I have a real hard time believing MT would fire him after one year, and I have a hard believing TB would quit after a year, unless there are some other off field type issues at play here, in which case a firing or quitting scenario is certainly in play.

Unless he feels he cant do it here and that he is over his head.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:48 PM   #713
Illini87InClt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilThorpe View Post

I agree and feel that a change will happen quickly if it does. If this does not happen within the next week, I expect Beckman to return next year. There's a possibility that Beckman may be convinced to walk away, but this is unlikely as you stated. I'm not really expecting to see a new coach thread this off season but can't rule this completely out either.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:49 PM   #714
AngryOrange
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
Yes, because he was an unknown with the top offense in college FB last year. Really flew under the radar. Only the people on IllinoisLoyalty.com knew of this sleeping giant Todd Monken.:rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is that Tim Beckman isn't a good football coach. He wasn't good in the MAC but we're supposed to tolerate this here? Give me a break. Todd Monken is an offensive wizard. Tim Beckman is just offensive.
Monken was a first year offensive coordinator last year care taking someone else's system. So ILL, yes basically only people here were calling for him to take over a BCS level program. This year, with two first round draft picks moving on and dealing with a 3rd string QB, he has shown many that he can move the needle so to speak. :rolleyes:
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:52 PM   #715
AngryOrange
Quote:

I wonder if this is the same members of the AD and the couple of alums who have been fanning this for part of the year, or something completely different. I guess we will be finding out soon enough.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:55 PM   #716
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Even if Thomas has lost faith in Beckman taking us to the promised land, keeping him for next year could still be the wise decision--Thomas already got a reputation as an "axe man" last year. Firing a coach who took over a pretty miserable roster after one year would look even worse. Not to mention it would leave another recruiting class in limbo.
I disagree. If Thomas doesn't believe Beckman has what it takes to succeed at Illinois then you have to hire a new coach ASAP. Gosh, didn't we learn that lesson after hanging onto Zook in 2009?

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:56 PM   #717
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
No kidding. We just CAN'T lose this class.

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:56 PM   #718
Juice
Dan Bernstein says via twitter that his Illinois source says there a "good chance" Tim Beckmann is fired.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:58 PM   #719
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryOrange View Post
Monken was a first year offensive coordinator last year care taking someone else's system. So ILL, yes basically only people here were calling for him to take over a BCS level program. This year, with two first round draft picks moving on and dealing with a 3rd string QB, he has shown many that he can move the needle so to speak. :rolleyes:
I agree. They have the No. 14 offense this year per F/+ rankings, impressive given their QB situation. He will receive some consideration and probably a better offer than Tulane (I think they offered him last year). That said, Thomas needs to be able to read a guy and decide if he has what it takes to succeed. Resumes only go so far. It is certainly a greater risk to hire a guy who has never been a head coach.

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:59 PM   #720
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
There has already been reports that MT didn't exactly get along with some of his other coaches. It's obvious weber isn't his biggest fan too. If MT fired Beckman after this season, it would ensure we would never get anyone worth getting during his time here.
Shouldn't matter. If you made a disastrous hire, cut your losses.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:00 PM   #721
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Dan Bernstein says via twitter that his Illinois source says there a "good chance" Tim Beckmann is fired.
Take Bernstein with a huge grain of salt.

Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:01 PM   #722
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I disagree. If Thomas doesn't believe Beckman has what it takes to succeed at Illinois then you have to hire a new coach ASAP. Gosh, didn't we learn that lesson after hanging onto Zook in 2009?
+1

You have to make a move unconventional or not if convinced a guy cant do the job. This is particularly true if there are going to be mass defections on the coaching staff.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:01 PM   #723
Ramrod2010
Quote:
My Illinois sources say that Dan Bernstein is a big sack of flaming dog poop. That being said he may be right on this one.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:02 PM   #724
mattcoldagelli
Holy crap. I'm maintaining that firing a guy after a year is one of the highest risk moves there is, but if it happens I'm rechristening MT "Iron Mike" Thomas.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:04 PM   #725
I Hate Lemonier
Quote:
This kind of stuff is what i have been concerned with all along. Valid or not recruiting will suffer. If Beckman survive he will be on everyone top 10 hotseat ranking next year
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »