Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Gonzaga, Saturday, December 8th, 9:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:23 PM   #226
OrangeAndBlue217
If we need to use guys like Shaw or Ibby to use fouls then so be it. I dont know individually. But last I saw Gonzaga as a team was shooting in high 50% from the stripe. We could definitely put them on the line and take our chances.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:29 PM   #227
BTBZag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
Curious, why did this game not suit Edi, Dower, Dranginis, or David? I was only able to watch a little of the game.
Well this is just my opinion but: the game against WSU was a very scrappy "brawl" kind of game. We were having trouble getting rebounds, loose balls were everywhere, very physical game etc.. Dower is pretty unathletic and is known as "soft" (I don't think he's particularly soft, but not as physical as our other bigs). Dranginis and Stockton are both super skinny and can get knocked around easy, plus it was Dranginis' first road game and it was against a rival. Edi can play in this game but our other 3, Mike Hart, is expecially tailored for this kind of game. He's as scrappy as they come.

Not saying that these guys can't play in tough games, just that maybe Few was more comfortable playing the other guys. The other poster that brings up the flu raises a good point that the team caught the flu while down in Orlando, I assumed they were all over it by now but maybe not.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 02:52 PM   #228
Kramer116
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBZag View Post
Well this is just my opinion but: the game against WSU was a very scrappy "brawl" kind of game. We were having trouble getting rebounds, loose balls were everywhere, very physical game etc.. Dower is pretty unathletic and is known as "soft" (I don't think he's particularly soft, but not as physical as our other bigs). Dranginis and Stockton are both super skinny and can get knocked around easy, plus it was Dranginis' first road game and it was against a rival. Edi can play in this game but our other 3, Mike Hart, is expecially tailored for this kind of game. He's as scrappy as they come.

Not saying that these guys can't play in tough games, just that maybe Few was more comfortable playing the other guys. The other poster that brings up the flu raises a good point that the team caught the flu while down in Orlando, I assumed they were all over it by now but maybe not.
What I had figured, thanks. The part of the game I was able to watch was actually pretty entertaining and up and down it seemed. But that was the crunch time at the end of the game it seemed.

"I do want to address something. I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in it's place. I'm going to tell you what place it's in. It's in a great place. That's what place it's in.... So if anyone wants to know what place Illinois college hoops is in right now, it's in a great place. Not a good place. A great place" - JFG
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:09 PM   #229
WizardBill
Illini optimist
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
Looks like the Zags stumbled on #JoeTales lol...

http://gonzagakennelclub.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/dirt-on-illinois/
Hello Kennel Clubbers! We hope you are as excited as we are about Saturday’s classic West Coast/Mid-West battle of the greats. This is legitimately one of the biggest games, exhibiting the highest quality of basketball, that the MAC has seen in a VERY long time.

Read that and tell me they need a new proof-reader! Obviously not a UI education!!! This was on their web page, not in someone's message to a message board.

Please return Dead and Alive to Edwin Schrodinger
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:13 PM   #230
zoggle101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer116 View Post
I always remember Harris playing fairly well against us but never really going completely off leading them to a victory...

My question is have we ever had a player who was a matchup answer to Harris in the past?
The Rev. would of matched up the best with Harris out of all the ILlini I remember. Throw Lucas Johnson out there and let him get tangled up with Harris a few times. I guarantee someone is going to get ejected in that situation. My boy Robert Bennett was a guy who could battle Harris on the defensive blocks and both ends on the boards. I loved the way JR didn't back down from him when we played in 10.

I really hope we get out early and beat the tar out of them. It would be a huge win and solidify our ranking and the higher one we'll be receiving on Monday.

Last edited by zoggle101; Dec 6, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:56 PM   #231
Tophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
B1G refs are calling Saturdays game vs the Zags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWBW View Post
Is that a good thing?
Not if Hightower is one of them...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:18 PM   #232
chief3469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Carlo View Post
Not sure a #13 ranked team beating a #10 ranked team is a noteworthy upset. Yes, the home team would normally get the tiebreaker, so to speak, on two teams who are at least basically equally ranked, but don't think it's a noteworthy upset either way. Now, if Illinois was unranked or even where they were last week at #22, that might be the case, but certainly not an upset in my mind.
KenPom gives us a 15% chance to win and predicts us losing by 10 points.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:26 PM   #233
MTILLINOIS
I think our "Good" team will show up tonight. Let's get a win boys!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:35 PM   #234
CaliforniaIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTILLINOIS View Post
I think our "Good" team will show up tonight. Let's get a win boys!
Love the enthusiasm but you're two days early!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:40 PM   #235
CharlesLawrence
I'm assuming someone(s) had to watch the Zag game last night right? The team that won on a last second layup against Wash State. Oh the same Zags team that had a problem guarding their ( Wash State ) guards and guarding the 3 point line. After watching last night's game I believe we have a serious chance to win. Depends on DJ & TA defense. I think we match up very well against them. The last few years have proven it. If we don't get blown out on the boards ( keep it with in 5 ) we win the game.

Illini 78 Zags 70 Book it!

Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:09 PM   #236
Decatur8r
I don't understand all the doom and gloom. This is the best team we have played all year, so isn't this what we want. They look like a fairly even match with each other.
The team that shots the best 3 point percentage wins.
Ill- 78
Zags- 66
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:00 PM   #237
URBANAillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaboutillini74 View Post
It must be nice to have some home cooking. Assembly Hall in Champaign is right now probably the friendliest place in all of college basket to play. About the only difference for a road team is a sea of orange otherwise it might as well at the least be on a neutral site.
I must disagree with "beaboutillini74"; I have been going to the AH as a season ticket holder for about 20 years and this year I have noticed a real difference in our fans from the last several years. There is much more enthusiasm among the fans; they have definitely risen (literally) to the occasion when it matters. While we have not been filling the AH, come B1G I believe the fans will be there. Groce's style of play is IMHO generating more excitement.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:07 PM   #238
MitchFromAtwood
After watching last night's Gonzaga game twice this evening after work, I'm going to have to change my prediction on Saturday's game. I feel like in this uptempo game it's going to be the defenses that determine the outcome. That said, I will take our defense over their defense any day. They do NOT defend the 3 ball well at all. We will get plenty of looks and will shoot a good percentage from 3 in their small "arena".

The magic number is 70. If we keep them below 70, we win.

Ill 74
Zags 69
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:11 PM   #239
jrichisamazing
This could be one of those games where someone off the bench comes in and completely changes the game. I could see Henry coming in and getting a double-double, we all know he is capable of it.

Would Henry or Langford be a possibility to slow down Harris? I think TG could do a decent job but will get into too much foul trouble.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:18 PM   #240
jmat
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichisamazing View Post
This could be one of those games where someone off the bench comes in and completely changes the game. I could see Henry coming in and getting a double-double, we all know he is capable of it.

Would Henry or Langford be a possibility to slow down Harris? I think TG could do a decent job but will get into too much foul trouble.
i'd say off the bench langford has the best shot at slowing harris down based on size and athletisism. he could play a very big role in this game
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:19 PM   #241
alexander58
Quote:

I would think Harris is too quick for Griffey. Langford is quick enough, but lacks the strength to stand his ground in the post, but somebody has to guard him.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:25 PM   #242
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:

I think it's fair to say Ibby was the X-factor last year. I've never seen someone come off the bench and have such a disparity between his contributions on the stat sheet vs his contributions in the actual game. It was incredible to watch. I really believe Langford can have that similar X-factorness (cool word, huh?) this game. I can see Harris lighting us up this year with points and rebounds since hes done it before, especially on the rebounding end. If Langford can come in for double digit possessions and neutralize Harris' rebounding ability, that could be huge. Devin can be non-existant on offense, but he lives to box people out. It is far and away his biggest strength in the limited action we've seen of him. Can it be the difference? I'll go out on a limb and say yes.

Zags - 65
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:38 PM   #243
IlliniByProxy
Just saw an interesting stat. Gonzaga ranks 318th of 347 teams in the country in opponents percentage of points from 3 pointers. That's bodes well for our shooters. Let's hope we come out on fire!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:23 PM   #244
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniByProxy View Post
Let's hope we come out on fire!
Yes, as Jerry Hester always says, you've got to start fast and do the same at the start of the second half too. If we can get going real quick and overwhelm both their team and their crowd (say, 10-2 run to open game), then we have a shot. I'm changing my previous prediction, because I don't see us getting as run over as I did a couple days ago.

Gonzaga - 85
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:52 PM   #245
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
A lot of Gonzaga fans seem to think we are gonna be gassed at the end of the game. I would think it would be them who are gassed at the pace we play. I think they are also underestimating that lots of 3s=lots of long rebounds.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:18 PM   #246
bigblahla
Thought you folks might enjoy this it's a tradition at GU.

http://www.krem.com/sports/GU-studen....html?ref=next

Go!! Zags!!!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:25 PM   #247
DaytonIllini
88-80 Gonzaga

Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:26 PM   #248
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
Thought you folks might enjoy this it's a tradition at GU.

http://www.krem.com/sports/GU-studen....html?ref=next

Go!! Zags!!!
A lot of trouble just to watch their team lose! Great passion.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:40 PM   #249
BillyBob1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
The environment will definitely be a tougher one. Hopefully we wont be competing against the refs like we did in Hawaii.
It may or may not matter, but there should be Big 10 refs doing this game. When we played them in Chicago and here, they had there refs from there own conference.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:42 PM   #250
OrangeAndBlue217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob1 View Post
It may or may not matter, but there should be Big 10 refs doing this game. When we played them in Chicago and here, they had there refs from there own conference.
I feel like we never get calls from our own officials, even at the hall. It seems like all of the officials graduated from Indiana and they let us know it each game lol.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »