Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Gonzaga, Saturday, December 8th, 9:00pm CT, ESPN2

Closed Thread

Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:04 PM   #351
PeoriaIllini1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
I just think it is terrific how many people are now ending their predictions with an Illini win triggered by a TG three. Last year, it was Tyler who? Now it is Tyler, you 'da man !!

Last year talent was not the issue it was something else i wont mention! :rolleyes:
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:05 PM   #352
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illball View Post
Hope we win. Have a good feeling. Tracey will have to have a huge game offensively and defense wise, also Griffey won't be able to play much imo. If my mind stands correct Harris is their 4 and no way Griffey can guard him. Hope to see big time minutes out of mccalurin (sp?) and Henry at the 4 spot. Go ILLINI!
No one on our team can contain Harris. We'll need Griffey's scoring.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:07 PM   #353
OrangeAndBlue217
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
No one on our team can contain Harris. We'll need Griffey's scoring.
Same thing as last year. But Harris just disappeared. Was basically a non factor. Maybe we take him out of the game by forcing their guards to go elsewhere or take bad shots.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:12 PM   #354
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
Same thing as last year. But Harris just disappeared. Was basically a non factor. Maybe we take him out of the game by forcing their guards to go elsewhere or take bad shots.
Yeah you may be right I was just saying I believe Griffey will get his usual scoring time because 1.) we'll need his scoring and 2.) Henry won't be able to guard Harris much better.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:30 PM   #355
IlliniByProxy
I was thinking about this game and listening to some radio when I heard a radio host say that in college basketball the 3pt shot is the great equalizer. This got me thinking back to Ohio's run in the tournament last year. Check out the box score from their final game against NC.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320830153

Ohio was much more of an underdog than we are against GU. They hit 12 threes in that game and nearly knocked off #1 seed NC despite NC's bigs scoring 52 of their 73 points and being out rebounded by 30! Yeah they were out rebounded by 30!!! There it is right in front of us, knock down the 3's and the game becomes much much more manageable.

p.s. It also didn't hurt that NC turned the ball over 24 times lol.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:32 PM   #356
BTBZag
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue217 View Post
19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, and a block is being a non-factor???
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:35 PM   #357
IlliniByProxy
I was at that game, from what I remember Harris pretty much single handedly kept GU in the game. He was far from a non-factor.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:39 PM   #358
PeoriaIllini1
11.5 point dog on Scoresandodds.com

no doubt we need alot of 3's

i think Seniors will help us alot and a hot BP
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:53 PM   #359
trevdv
Another nice piece of exposure from ESPN. We are the top headline in the NCAA Basketball world this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(104.8 KB, 199 views)

Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:02 PM   #360
CARPET
# 13 Illinois at # 10 Gonzaga

Zags have one of the best teams they have had in a long time, They are Tenacious on defense down low and rebounding. They have some beast down low roaming the paint for sure.

The only nick I could put on the Zags is the defensive ability to guard from the 3 point range. They suck at that and those big trees are not coming out to defend from beyond 15 feet.

Illinois has come out of no where, ask anyone and they will tell you Illinois is over rated, but they are rated for a reason people like what they see with this team with a new coach. Leading the nation in 3 point shooting pressing every play up and down and a free will type of play.

The Zags will dominate the inside game. Illinois will have plenty of free and clear shot looks from beyond. Zags rank 310 in 3 point defense.

I look for Illinois to be in this game tooth and nail, This is a different Illinois team this year loaded with talent with a new Head Coach that plays high intensity ball.

The spread is Gonzaga -11.5

I see this game Illinois keeping it close losing by a heart breaker
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:32 PM   #361
joekam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
From that same blog is a conversation between Brennan and Medcalf:

Darn right.
After I read that, I got curious as to just how feared our Illini would be. Are we talking Sweet 16 scary? Elite 8? Dare I say...

Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:37 PM   #362
mdonsbach
Sounds like the ultimate live by the 3 die by the 3 game. If we hit 12 or more we win. Anything less we lose.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:41 PM   #363
joekam
Illini shot well in the small gym in Maui. Maybe the small gym at Gonzaga will feel just as comfy.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:10 PM   #364
Illini70math
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBZag View Post
19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals, and a block is being a non-factor???
The points scored just bounced in the basket, the rebounds just fell into his hands, the three steals were reach-ins that weren't called. He did get a block. A regular Mike Davis performance.

P.S. Zag fans, this is an Illini joke. Don't try to understand it.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:30 PM   #365
trevdv
Quote:
Landed!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/djrich32
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:31 PM   #366
IlliniRunIn07
Has it been mentioned if the team has been waking up later during the week trying to get on Pacific time?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:42 PM   #367
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Landed!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/djrich32
Quote:
Tonight's flight 3:46 CMI to Spokane

http://twitter.com/EdIllini
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:47 PM   #368
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Has it been mentioned if the team has been waking up later during the week trying to get on Pacific time?
It hasn't been mentioned, but I'm assuming they would. The last time an Illini squad didn't, the score was 45-14...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:09 PM   #369
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
It hasn't been mentioned, but I'm assuming they would. The last time an Illini squad didn't, the score was 45-14...
I thought it had been said here on the boards that they were treating this as if it were a Central Zone game. I wonder if that means instead of getting up later, they've been having practice later than usual.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:43 PM   #370
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Too much for us to overcome: Long flight, time zones, Harris & Pangos, two true 7-footers who aren't just Frankensteins. But that's OK because Gonzaga is a great team and will help us prepare for the B1G. I expect a fight, but

Illinois 71
Gonzaga 79
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:16 PM   #371
troydove
Banned
I fill somethings in the air. Just can't put my finger on it!

If we somehow get brave and play with no fear. Blow the dog pound up with ILLINI TNT

Sad part I think we get beat bad down low. Zags 92 ILLINI 63 BBBBUUUTTTT if we pull this off,,, SPECIAL SEASON - for !!!!s and giggles

game time yet?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:40 PM   #372
JimmyChitwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by troydove View Post
I fill somethings in the air. Just can't put my finger on it!

If we somehow get brave and play with no fear. Blow the dog pound up with ILLINI TNT

Sad part I think we get beat bad down low. Zags 92 ILLINI 63 BBBBUUUTTTT if we pull this off,,, SPECIAL SEASON - for !!!!s and giggles

game time yet?
lol there is no way we lose by 30...I dont think there is any way we lose by more then 10. This team can make to many 3 pointers in a hurry for the score to get way out of line.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:49 PM   #373
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekam View Post
After I read that, I got curious as to just how feared our Illini would be. Are we talking Sweet 16 scary? Elite 8? Dare I say...
You'd expect that if we beat Gonzaga, suddenly we're favored against Mizzou and are looking at quite possibly a perfect record going into conference play. That's early-2000s scary.

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:14 PM   #374
ExtremeJim
Yeah, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonsbach View Post
Sounds like the ultimate live by the 3 die by the 3 game. If we hit 12 or more we win. Anything less we lose.
I get that the Illini make a high percentage of treys, and I get that Gonzaga gives up a high percentage of treys, but what is Gonzaga doing on offense? In five games in the McCarthy Center this season, their own players are 40-95 from three-point range, .421, in that building.

Pangos takes most of them, and he typically takes them from 25-28 feet, so longer guards defending him at the line might not bother him as much as they would bother some other 3-point shooters of his size.

If you hit 12 or more, do you still win if they're hitting 8 or 10 themselves, interspersed with the Polish Giant working the high-low with Harris and Nine-Foot Bible Boy?

Better hit 15 or 20, just to be sure.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:28 PM   #375
IlliniRon
Illini Basketball Fan Forever
Don't count us out just because Gonzaga has a big and talented front line. Coach Groce will have a plan to take these guys on, and it might be zone, might be some different guys in there, you just don't know what he has planned.

And if we get rolling with some solid outside shooting, anything can happen, just like at Maui. Plus, we play well and we have big upside from winning, and not much downside if we lose the game in a close one. Can't wait for the game to start, and I wish I had gone up to Spokane for the game.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »