Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Fighting Illini Basketball Scholarship Grid 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:31 PM   #126
HeartofaChampion
DL will have a battle on his hands for PT next year, as will several other players. (It's a nice problem to have, of course.)

Here's a hypothetical depth chart:
1: TA, JT, MLT
2: RR, KN, MLT
3: JB, MaH, DL
4: MyH, AC, MS
5: NE, MM, ID

If JG goes with a 9-man rotation, that means 4 players sit the bench unless ID and/or MS transfer. For instance, that could mean MS, ID, DL and MLT.

The recruits I think will play the most are KN and either JT or AC.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:26 PM   #127
AzIlliniFan
Wow, the Scholarship Grid thread has morphed into a "Possible 2013 Lineups" thread!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:28 PM   #128
rbachhuber
aka Flash Gordon, earthling
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
KBD to tOSU.

Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(188.3 KB, 6214 views)

Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:56 PM   #129
Indicchief
Banned
Up.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:07 PM   #130
ericac
Banned
Love me some commit news
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:17 PM   #131
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Finally, we'll get a bump for this thread that will stick for a few days!
Although people will still ask who we've offered, how many scholarships do we have for (insert year), etc., etc.
This thread should be pinned at the top of the forum, IMO.
Welcome to the grid, MF!

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #132
rbachhuber
Location: Planet Earth, when not battling Ming the Merciless on Mongo (or sometimes Mars)
Michael Finke of Centennial High School in Champaign has been added to the grid as verbal commit from the class of 2014.

(188.1 KB, 5612 views)

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #133
CharlesLawrence
Banned
I really think Mike Shaw and Ib will be gonne after 2013.. opening up 2 more scholarships.. just a fill of that way. When you look at how the roster will be next year. Henry will get minutes, So he is staying/ But the other 2. They will transfer out. Maybe even DL leaves....I believe they still have their redshirt leaving them a full year at another school to try to make some moves.... or maybe they don't mind and they stay.. never know these days. They are still getting a free education at the University of Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbachhuber View Post
Michael Finke of Centennial High School in Champaign has been added to the grid as verbal commit from the class of 2014.

Last edited by CharlesLawrence; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: adding the grid
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:18 AM   #134
job71188
We could see a transfer in as little as 2 weeks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:22 AM   #135
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by job71188 View Post
Is this just a factual statement or do you have specific reason to believe that one of our current players is thinking of transferring?

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:27 AM   #136
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesLawrence View Post
I really think Mike Shaw and Ib will be gonne after 2013.. opening up 2 more scholarships.. just a fill of that way. When you look at how the roster will be next year. Henry will get minutes, So he is staying/ But the other 2. They will transfer out. Maybe even DL leaves....
Doubtful DL leaves. He already redshirted so he would lose a year of eligibility unless he want d2 or d3. He'll most likely be in the rotation a good amount his junior and senior years. He's already providing good defense and rebounding when he comes in the games this season.

Maybe the light goes on MS between his soph and junior years. You figure he'd stand a better chance to get playing time backing up at the 4 then AC during AC's freshmen year, but if he can't make strides, he may look elsewhere.

Ibby might be a hard one to read. Maybe he's happy just to be a practice player / 5 fouls in a game end of the bench guy, happy to get his education / professional connections he'd get at U of I. Let's face it. You can't have a roster of 13 four and five star players.

Who knows, let's just enjoy this year's team right now

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 AM   #137
job71188
No knowledge of anything and not someone with any special info. Just pointing out the end of fall semester is about to be here and is where winter transfers are typically announced. This way a player does't throw away an extra semester.

For reference, Crandall Head announced on December 27th last year that he was transferring. Makes sense to announce it right as non-conference is winding down or over and before conference play begins.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #138
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Mid-semester transfers are not typical because the athlete will end up wasting 1/2 of a season. You get 5 years to use 4 seasons of eligibility and if you play in a single game, that counts for a season used (barring injury). We all remember Alex Legion who transferred multiple times and ended up getting something like 2 seasons of playing time out of the deal.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:19 PM   #139
CharlesLawrence
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by job71188 View Post
you think? Who are you thinking?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:49 PM   #140
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Doubtful DL leaves. He already redshirted so he would lose a year of eligibility unless he want d2 or d3. He'll most likely be in the rotation a good amount his junior and senior years. He's already providing good defense and rebounding when he comes in the games this season.

Maybe the light goes on MS between his soph and junior years. You figure he'd stand a better chance to get playing time backing up at the 4 then AC during AC's freshmen year, but if he can't make strides, he may look elsewhere.

Ibby might be a hard one to read. Maybe he's happy just to be a practice player / 5 fouls in a game end of the bench guy, happy to get his education / professional connections he'd get at U of I. Let's face it. You can't have a roster of 13 four and five star players.

Who knows, let's just enjoy this year's team right now
One thing that may factor into this is that Groce recruited AC, but didn't recruit Shaw. I'd like to think that a coach would put a team out there that has the best chance of winning, but there may be some favoritism from coach on playing AC over Shaw. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. JG has a vision for what he would like Colbert to do, and he might just not have that for MS.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:14 PM   #141
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
One thing that may factor into this is that Groce recruited AC, but didn't recruit Shaw. I'd like to think that a coach would put a team out there that has the best chance of winning, but there may be some favoritism from coach on playing AC over Shaw. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. JG has a vision for what he would like Colbert to do, and he might just not have that for MS.
It certainly appears to me that he does not have a good vision of MS contributing to UI success, based on his minutes. No predictions here, just observing that Mike doesn't see the floor.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:43 PM   #142
hermie1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Mid-semester transfers are not typical because the athlete will end up wasting 1/2 of a season. You get 5 years to use 4 seasons of eligibility and if you play in a single game, that counts for a season used (barring injury). We all remember Alex Legion who transferred multiple times and ended up getting something like 2 seasons of playing time out of the deal.
Difference is playing January 2014 or November 2014. If you are trying to get to the NBA I suppose it might not matter. If you are anxious to get PT, I think mid year makes the most since if you know you are not going to see any here. Some might just be ready for a change.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:32 AM   #143
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermie1985 View Post
Difference is playing January 2014 or November 2014. If you are trying to get to the NBA I suppose it might not matter. If you are anxious to get PT, I think mid year makes the most since if you know you are not going to see any here. Some might just be ready for a change.
Transferring mid-year means you're actually burning 2 semesters of eligibility (assuming the player enrolls at the new school immediately).
Doing it between seasons allows you to use a redshirt and retain the full 4 years of athletic eligibility.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:00 PM   #144
rbachhuber
Jabari Parker to Duke. That appears to finish off all of the offers for the class of 2013. We lost 2 to Indiana, 2 to Purdue, 2 to Marquette, and 2 to Duke. And 1 each to Michigan, Kentucky, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Missouri, Virginia, Memphis, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, Dayton, Florida State, and Southern Methodist.

(188.3 KB, 2047 views)

Old Jan 5, 2013, 05:22 PM   #145
rbachhuber
Shelton Mitchell, 2014, to Wake Forest.

(173.4 KB, 1597 views)

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:42 PM   #146
rbachhuber
Scout shows an Illini offer to 2014 PF Obi Enechionyia out of Saint James MD.

(174.8 KB, 1281 views)

Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:28 PM   #147
rbachhuber
2015 Stevenson HS PG Jalen Brunson has been offered by the Illini. Thanks to SimonHoffman in the recruiting thread for the tip.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/ind...illinois-offer

(175.3 KB, 1144 views)

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #148
IlliniFan1988
Banned
I know Fienke has given a strong verbal, but is there a reason why he hasn't signed yet? Just curious. Going to watch him play tomorrow at Decatur McArthur. He seems like a good kid and a good fit.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:19 PM   #149
TEYPAY
Because he is only a junior and can't.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:19 PM   #150
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan1988 View Post
I know Fienke has given a strong verbal, but is there a reason why he hasn't signed yet? Just curious. Going to watch him play tomorrow at Decatur McArthur. He seems like a good kid and a good fit.
I don't think he can sign until this upcoming November.
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »