Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

John Groce teleconference & player interviews (12/27)

Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: During holidays, wanted to get players home safely and time to enjoy family. Some ran into inclement weather on way back

Groce: Effort level vs. Mizzou was "off the charts." Their toughness, not execution, was why they were up with 8 minutes to go

Groce: For us, it was really about execution. Inability to get back in transition was "traumatic." Half-court D solid

Groce: They got free throws and layups. That's not the way you really want to go down.

Groce: Bertrand giving great energy. Needs to understand, trust system more. Needs to close out on defense. Focus on little things

Groce: There's guys that try to do too much sometimes for themselves. Not the case Saturday. Tried to make plays to win the game

Groce: We took more bad shots than normal. 6 of Richardson's 9 looks were great shots, just didn't fall for him.

Groce: We let our guys play. I want them to be aggressive, but at same time I think we got a little bit over-anxious.

Groce: I love going up to United Center. Huge area for alumni and recruiting.

Groce: Will keep doing Chicago game but in perfect world would not have to return it. That's probably unrealistic.

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Quote:
Groce, looking back on Mizzou game: "Effort level was off the charts... Team is really together and really tough."

Groce: "but you need to execute along with toughness and togetherness."

Groce says film revealed #Illini couldn't get back in transition. Hurt them on the final minutes against #Mizzou.

Groce: "You're going to play several games like the one we played Saturday night."

http://twitter.com/MattLoveless
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: Biggest concern with Auburn is rebounding. It's the best thing Auburn does. We have to compete better on the glass.

Groce: Phil Pressey's penetration forced rotations which affected Illinois to board. Auburn's Denson and Sullivan good off dribble

Groce: I thought (Egwu) did a great job. I thought it was the best game he played. Great to have him play 35 min w/o foul trouble

Groce: Egwu has made a ton of growth and improvement, starting to experience some of the fruits of his labor.

#TateTales: Illinois teleconference ends with Tate having a conversation and laughing with unnamed sources in the background.

http://twitter.com/WernerESPNCU
Quote:
Groce on Auburn: "The biggest thing that concerns me is rebounding." Got "hammered" on board against #Mizzou

http://twitter.com/MattLoveless
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
cali illini
They should just BAR Tate from these conferences I guess atleast his phone didnt ring again!
cali illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Dan
Admin
Groce teleconference - Loren Tate partytime

Rob McColley
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Tate is such a jackass.

Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:46 PM   #6
HsvIllini
I'm surprised he didn't ban him after the schedule question in the presser before the Mizzou game.
HsvIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
peace davids
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvIllini View Post
I'm surprised he didn't ban him after the schedule question in the presser before the Mizzou game.
Loren is like Larry King, idiotic obvious questions.

"Have you ever thought about playing more home games?" "What's the deal with the orange ball? Is that an advantage?"

Good Grief.
peace davids is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Can Egwu, Bertrand take next step?

Bertrand has the potential to be the star of this team next season. And he could assume a bigger role yet this season. Consistency is his key.

Egwu can be a matchup nightmare once he gains confidence offensively, because he can effortlessly slide inside and outside and hit shots from all over the floor. If experience makes him a better rebounder and defender (without fouling), he can become a complete post player.

Tupper
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
IlliniSpine
Banned
In short, not yet.

Bertrand will always take a step back unless the seniors are struggling (like in the GT game).

Egwu making progress but I doubt he becomes the double-double guy we need by the end of the year. Perhaps by the end of his junior year or senior year. We'll see how soon but doubt that he is able to be that guy before years end.
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »