Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

12/30 News & Notes

Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Best quote of the day: Sam McLaurin: "Coach says we don't want to be a team that learns by peeing on the electric fence." #dechr

http://twitter.com/MarkTupper
Quote:
Photo Gallery: Illinois 81, Auburn 79 at the United Center

http://www.illinihq.com/multimedia/p...-united-center
Quote:
Illini take 13-1 start into Big Ten play

That Illinois will march into the Big Ten Conference season Wednesday night at Purdue with a 13-1 record is remarkable, because, yes, this is a team with flaws, a team that has basically the same core of players who melted down severely last season, a team that most people would say isn't as good as its No. 12 national ranking.

But it's a team that has something I really like, and that's chemistry and belief and faith and heart and I'd much rather watch a team with flaws and heart than watch a heartless team with more talent.

Tupper
Quote:
Abrams' new mindset leads to career day

Something changed in Illinois sophomore point guard Tracy Abrams from the time he went home for Christmas to when he returned to campus this week.

In the few days of practice leading up to Saturday's game against Auburn, Illinois coach John Groce began to see Abrams play with a different speed and mentality than he ever did.

"Have you ever read the book '212 degrees'?" Groce asked Saturday. "It's when water boils. All of a sudden two days ago, it started boiling for him."

Scott Powers
Quote:
Illinois 81, Auburn 79: 'A great feeling'

"It was fun. I'm happy, excited," Mom said. "It's amazing that he did this on the Bulls' court."

Tracy Abrams said he regularly attended Bulls games as a youngster. The product of Mount Carmel High School on the South Side never imagined he'd have a performance like his exhibition Saturday against the Tigers.

"It's a dream come true," Abrams said as Bulls point guard Kirk Hinrich walked past him in the hallway. "Growing up in Chicago, you hear about the Bulls and the United Center. It's a privilege. I thank God for the opportunity. It's a blessing."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
Illinois 81, Auburn 79: Notebook

"It was a big deal since we didn't get accomplished what we wanted down in St. Louis. We did a good job," Chicagoan Nnanna Egwu said. "It was great. The Bulls are my favorite team, so playing on their court is special. To come back to Chicago and have all the Illini fans here was fun. It was good to play in front of them and it's a nice thing we get to do here every year."

All that first-year coach John Groce cares about is the result.

"I don't get caught up in what's happened in the past. I am glad for the seniors that were able to get their first one here because of how hard they work and how good of kids those guys are. That part's good," Groce said. "We love coming up here, I love it. We're blessed to have it. It's a great sports city. Our alumni are unbelievable; that's indicative today of the crowd. It's a big area for us recruiting. It's a special place, special city. We're lucky that it's so close to our campus. We enjoy coming up. Hopefully they'll continue to have us."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
Illinois hangs on for 81-79 victory

Illinois ended its United Center slump.

It wasn't without the typical Illini thrill, though.

Illinois gave up a double-digit lead against Auburn but fought off the Tigers' comeback attempt for an 81-79 victory Saturday.

"It was odd," coach John Groce said. "That's the grimiest 80-point game I've ever been a part of. We talked about it with less than four (minutes to play), 'Hey, it's not going to be one of those sexy ones. We have to come together.'"

Shannon Ryan
Quote:
No. 12 Illinois beats Auburn behind Tracy Abrams' 27

Tracy Abrams' personal narrative is the portrait of a point guard as a young man. With each passing day, he is learning the subtleties and intricacies of the college game.

Illinois is the beneficiary.

Playing in his hometown, the former Mount Carmel star played a spectacular all-around game, scoring 27 points and adding eight rebounds, five assists and four steals as No. 12 Illinois escaped with an 81-79 victory over Auburn on Saturday at the United Center.

"I was just pushing the ball," the sophomore point guard said, "and I took what they gave me."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...abrams-27.html
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
trevdv
ESPN: Big Ten Revised Predictions

Quote:
It is impossible to say enough about what Illinois coach John Groce has done in his first half-season in Champaign. In the matter of a few months, he transformed senior guard Brandon Paul from an inefficient gunner to an All-American, totally revamped not only Illinois' style but its overall approach, made a team of little-used role players into one of the scariest offensive squads in the country, won the Maui Invitational and beat Gonzaga at Gonzaga, and almost single-handedly revived one of the nation's best fan bases out of its previously depressed stupor.

6. Illinois doesn't stay this hot all season, as the rest of the league scouts John Groce and his staff. But an efficient Brandon Paul is still worth the price of admission.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3
RichBradIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Solid article and won't argue with his predictions. Pretty much how I can see things ending up with Minnie fighting IU and Michigan till the end for the title.
RichBradIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Dan
Admin
A Rob McColley tour de force-
Quote:
The Abrams Tank

Rob McColley
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:40 AM   #5
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
It is impossible to say enough about what Illinois coach John Groce has done in his first half-season in Champaign. In the matter of a few months, he transformed senior guard Brandon Paul from an inefficient gunner to an All-American, totally revamped not only Illinois' style but its overall approach, made a team of little-used role players into one of the scariest offensive squads in the country, won the Maui Invitational and beat Gonzaga at Gonzaga, and almost single-handedly revived one of the nation's best fan bases out of its previously depressed stupor.
If fans knew just how far gone and, frankly, depressed and downcast these same players were back in March, they'd be calling for JG to get a 10-year contract extension. The man has given this team and program an extreme makeover of the mess the previous staff left this program in.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Out w.the team, looking over the dessert menu to see fried cheesecake..fried..cheesecake, no wonder were the fattest country

http://twitter.com/BP3
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:25 PM   #7
carmelillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
If fans knew just how far gone and, frankly, depressed and downcast these same players were back in March, they'd be calling for JG to get a 10-year contract extension. The man has given this team and program an extreme makeover of the mess the previous staff left this program in.
carmelillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:26 PM   #8
BenjIllini
Hoopin Groce Style
LOL Brandon would love all the fairs in the summer with their deep fried foods.
BenjIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:33 PM   #9
illinicb
Quote:
I believe it. I'm not sure how they'll do this year, but I think there is positive long range outlook.

Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:18 PM   #10
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinicb View Post
I believe it. I'm not sure how they'll do this year, but I think there is positive long range outlook.
I only got a few Ubben reports about JG and his staff after he took over, but the program he inherited was in shambles. The 2-12 finish, the mental and emotional wear and tear on the players, the frustration with BW, the tension between certain players -- by the time the season mercifully ended back in March, this team was a wreck. Most of the players and their parents were tired of the previous staff's system and how they dealt with the players. A lot of guys had lost confidence in themselves largely by how they were handled, the ill-fitting system for most, the tension around their late-season meltdown, getting thrown under the bus that infamous press conference after the home loss to PU.

JG and staff came in and exuded confidence, encouragement and enthusiasm from day 1. They quickly built relationships with each player, getting to know them and pouring not only teaching but positive reinforcement into them. It's been noted how TG said he received more encouragement in a few short weeks from the new staff than he received his first 3 years at UI. That's an enlightening indictment. I only know about JW from eyewitness accounts, but I was told how he amazed BP, DJ and the other guards with his ability to teach, instruct and correct while pouring on encouragement and patience. It was such a departure from the previous 3 years that they took to it like a fish to water. BP said he learned more about how to handle the ball and create in one summer than he received in 3 prior years.

I fully expect the B1G slate to be a struggle. I'd be shocked if we won more than 10 games. But, after watching how much improved we are down the stretch of games and the dramatic improvement of individual players (aside from his last 2 games, BP is starkly better than he was the last dozen or so games of 2011-12, TG is night and day better, TA is almost unrecognizable as a driving/creating/finishing PG, NE is showing off a beautiful new jump shot, etc.), I'm much more excited about the future than I was the last 5-6 seasons.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:50 PM   #11
lstewart53x3
Quote:
I only got a few Ubben reports about JG and his staff after he took over, but the program he inherited was in shambles. The 2-12 finish, the mental and emotional wear and tear on the players, the frustration with BW, the tension between certain players -- by the time the season mercifully ended back in March, this team was a wreck. Most of the players and their parents were tired of the previous staff's system and how they dealt with the players. A lot of guys had lost confidence in themselves largely by how they were handled, the ill-fitting system for most, the tension around their late-season meltdown, getting thrown under the bus that infamous press conference after the home loss to PU.

JG and staff came in and exuded confidence, encouragement and enthusiasm from day 1. They quickly built relationships with each player, getting to know them and pouring not only teaching but positive reinforcement into them. It's been noted how TG said he received more encouragement in a few short weeks from the new staff than he received his first 3 years at UI. That's an enlightening indictment. I only know about JW from eyewitness accounts, but I was told how he amazed BP, DJ and the other guards with his ability to teach, instruct and correct while pouring on encouragement and patience. It was such a departure from the previous 3 years that they took to it like a fish to water. BP said he learned more about how to handle the ball and create in one summer than he received in 3 prior years.

I fully expect the B1G slate to be a struggle. I'd be shocked if we won more than 10 games. But, after watching how much improved we are down the stretch of games and the dramatic improvement of individual players (aside from his last 2 games, BP is starkly better than he was the last dozen or so games of 2011-12, TG is night and day better, TA is almost unrecognizable as a driving/creating/finishing PG, NE is showing off a beautiful new jump shot, etc.), I'm much more excited about the future than I was the last 5-6 seasons.
Awesome stuff, as always, HoC. Thanks
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:01 PM   #12
alexander58
Quote:
Doctor,
I believe this statement is a violation of doctor / patient privilege.
alexander58 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:06 PM   #13
jcgoldie
"Coach says we don't want to be a team that learns by peeing on the electric fence."

Words to live by
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:44 AM   #14
illinibob
Banned
Quote:
Hater. Can we stop focusing on the past and just enjoy that we're 13-1?
illinibob is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:04 AM   #15
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinibob View Post
Hater. Can we stop focusing on the past and just enjoy that we're 13-1?
HoC is definitely not a hater.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:06 AM   #16
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
HoC is definitely not a hater.
+1

Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:16 AM   #17
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Hey Dayton, I noticed USC upset the Flyers in OT last night. Good for our RPI, bad for Dayton's NCAA hopes.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:17 AM   #18
Botb9
Realist
Yeah, this is probably more detail than HoC let on in the past, when he actually had sources who saw practice regularly and heard things around the program. Now that the fallout has been replaced with rainbows and unicorns, it's alright to look back and think how far we had fallen.

That said, there's still time for this baby to go awry, but I'm content to enjoy 13-1 while I can.

A guy I work with who's not a big college basketball guy but whose son went to Illinois told me today how great Abrams looked and how good of a game it was. I think the positive vibe is spreading outside of Champaign, and you can see it from the 18k+ that showed up Saturday.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:27 AM   #19
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Hey Dayton, I noticed USC upset the Flyers in OT last night. Good for our RPI, bad for Dayton's NCAA hopes.
Yes. Dayton is really suffering. They fired their starting center for the season for something that would not get even a slap on the wrist at UIUC. If the rumors of what he did are true, it's stunning that he'd get even a one game suspension. But that has really left a hole in the interior that is not easy to fill. They essentially have a big small forward playing center. It's a mess.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:37 AM   #20
IllinoisTradition1984
Quote:

Excellent, excellent post ... I hope every Illinois recruit and potential recruit reads this ... !

Fighting Illini - A Culture of Winning: 1 Maui Invitational Championship , 29 NCAA Tournament Appearances, 17 Big Ten Championships, 10 Sweet 16's, 6 Elite 8's, 4 Final 4's, 1 Championship Game, and Counting ...
IllinoisTradition1984 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:28 AM   #21
chiefini
Quote:

Thanks, HoC. It was apparent to any Illini fan who has followed this team for any length of time how our program had bottomed out. I felt so sorry for these kids. That's why it's so fantastic to see we've got a new coach who gets it. These players will not win every game, but I think they will fight to the end for HCJG because he believes in their abilities and has found a way to get them to believe in themselves again.

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM   #22
Symmooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Yeah, this is probably more detail than HoC let on in the past, when he actually had sources who saw practice regularly and heard things around the program. Now that the fallout has been replaced with rainbows and unicorns, it's alright to look back and think how far we had fallen.

That said, there's still time for this baby to go awry, but I'm content to enjoy 13-1 while I can.

A guy I work with who's not a big college basketball guy but whose son went to Illinois told me today how great Abrams looked and how good of a game it was. I think the positive vibe is spreading outside of Champaign, and you can see it from the 18k+ that showed up Saturday.
You just have to watch the games to see the difference, it's so obvious.

Especially the last few games where other teams have taken away most of the easy 3 point shots, .

Instead of being a live by the 3 die by the 3 team and losing, we're winning by improving our mid-range and drives to the basket to get fouls.

That's a heckuva lot more fun for us and the players than watching a team pass the ball around the perimeter and launch a prayer as the shot clock winds down.

As we get better at the inside the arc offense, the 3 point shots will come back. Then we become a REAL tough team to beat.
Who gives a crap about last season?
Symmooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:40 AM   #23
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
You just have to watch the games to see the difference, it's so obvious.

Especially the last few games where other teams have taken away most of the easy 3 point shots, .

Instead of being a live by the 3 die by the 3 team and losing, we're winning by improving our mid-range and drives to the basket to get fouls.

That's a heckuva lot more fun for us and the players than watching a team pass the ball around the perimeter and launch a prayer as the shot clock winds down.

As we get better at the inside the arc offense, the 3 point shots will come back. Then we become a REAL tough team to beat.
Who gives a crap about last season?
Did you notice the team also identified the zone quicker and pointed the PF into the hole in the zone. It was nice to see that adjustment come quickly. I think it will improve more as the season progresses.

Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:51 AM   #24
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
Did you notice the team also identified the zone quicker and pointed the PF into the hole in the zone. It was nice to see that adjustment come quickly. I think it will improve more as the season progresses.
I fist pumped the first time we dropped it to Griffey at the FT line against their zone on Saturday. It was great recognition and led to a really nice four-pass possession for an easy score.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
-josh-
Banana no more
Quote:

This matches what i was always told about Bruce Weber practices during his tenure. He would come out and yell at the guys for about 10 minutes and then go back into his office and let them work with the assistants. John Groce likes to work individually with his guys and actually teach them.

The local media love him.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »