Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Northwestern, Thursday, January 17th, 7:15pm CT, BTN

Closed Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:24 PM   #76
Rall
First off, we have to make shots. That's the main thing that has to change or we lose.
I trust Groce on this. He will calm our guys down so we can make more of them.

But Open 3's? Each of the last 4 games we have had and missed at least 5 wide open 3's. Groce will get our guys to remember that and they will settle down and make a few more per game and that will brings the scores down late so we can come back to win games outright, or lose fighting and not get embarrassed.

Easy to say, isn't it. Will they do it? We'll see soon. But I believe Groce will get these guys to slow their brains down and shoot the ball with their shooting stroke better. And remind them that they were leading the country in 3 pt baskets for half of the season for crying out load!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:18 AM   #77
JoeJ
Clearly if we start making 3's we will be better.
TA & NE need to stay out of foul trouble.
We need to get a reasonable amount of assists.
We need to keep rebounding.
Not let Joe Whoever have a career game again.
Then we will be fine.

Also agree we should be supportive as we have exceeded expectations so far, but we all have last year somewhere in the back of our head. I try to suppress it and I am sure JG does his best to get it out of the players head, but it wasn't just a bad dream.
Let's focus on improving in 2013 and supporting our team.
GO ILLINI!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:20 AM   #78
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
Then we will be fine.

Also agree we should be supportive as we have exceeded expectations so far, but we all have last year somewhere in the back of our head. I try to suppress it and I am sure JG does his best to get it out of the players head, but it wasn't just a bad dream.
GO ILLINI!
Unless it's Joe Tales.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:55 PM   #79
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Game 19 Notes: Illinois vs. Northwestern

TV Announcers: Dave Revsine (Play-By-Play), Jim Jackson (Analyst).

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...011613aac.html
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:04 PM   #80
finalfour2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
Then we will be fine.

GO ILLINI!
We simply MUST start hitting those shots...and beat Northwestern and then at Nebraska...because after that it is Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Indiana, Minnesota for the next 5 games. I doubt anyone in the country has a tougher 5 game schedule unless it is another B1G team.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:03 PM   #81
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
Bertrand should be in the starting lineup from here on out, even if it means going to a 4-guard lineup. He's easily one of our five best players. And he needs to get used to starting for next year.
Your plan requires 15-20 minutes from Latulip or Langford to back up the 1-3. That is not going to happen.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:10 PM   #82
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
I think I read an article where Groce said he wasn't going to panic, wasn't going to change anything, and that they just need to do what they're doing better.
I think I read a quote where he said he was willing to try just about anything at this point. Another where players that don't step up can sit down. Another where he is going to stick a player in the rotation that has about 30 minutes for the season so far.

I don't think he is in panic mode but it would be a groce (sic) exageration to say that he isn't going to change anything.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:11 PM   #83
DaytonIllini
I don't care what the score is as long as we win. That said, we darn well better win.

Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:04 PM   #84
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
I don't care what the score is as long as we win. That said, we darn well better win.
I'm not in meltdown mode at all, but if we were to lose to the kitty cats at home, I would go into instant meltdown. No in between on that.

But I'm not nervous
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:09 PM   #85
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
I think I read a quote where he said he was willing to try just about anything at this point. Another where players that don't step up can sit down. Another where he is going to stick a player in the rotation that has about 30 minutes for the season so far.

I don't think he is in panic mode but it would be a groce (sic) exageration to say that he isn't going to change anything.
Where did you see this? I'd like to read that.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:14 AM   #86
RedButkus
Banned
Quote:

In my opinion, "I think I read a quote" is disingenuous posting.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:00 AM   #87
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Groce: Time for his Illini to 'man up'

But they've lost four of six after a 12-0 start, and the panicked fan base is fearful of a repeat of 2011-12.

"Just because something happened in the past doesn't mean that it's going to inevitably happen," Groce said. "That's on us. We've got to control that with what we can control with our effort, our toughness, our togetherness, our mind-set. I think those things are things that we can control, and we've got to do that. If we can't do that, that's on us."

Marcus Jackson
Quote:
No excuses for Illini against Northwestern

Aware that Illinois went into a free fall and lost 12 of the final 14 games last year, Groce has made a point of saying, "We can't change the past," all season. So he's prepped his team on the topic, telling them there will be no excuses this time.

"I'll tell you what, 10 to 15 years from now if they think they're not going to get hit in the mouth in life, we're teaching them the wrong things at the University of Illinois," Groce said Wednesday. "That deal? Fragile confidence? I said to the staff today, 'That's out.'

"Pretty soon (players) will have to deal with their kid being sick, with a family emergency. You will have to deal with things in life that aren't easy. We have to figure that out. We have absolutely no excuses. We have to man up and play. We have to fight. That's the expectation that we have."

Tupper
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:50 AM   #88
OrangeandBlue4eva
I love hearing Groce speak. This is no intention to bash, but I felt like last year Weber was just hoping the squad could turn it around and he was nervous and panicky just like the fan base. I don't get that feeling with Groce. He doesn't play the what if game. His motto seems to be just get it done and the rest will take care of itself.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:12 AM   #89
hermie1985
The easy games are a problem for this group
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:47 AM   #90
DrewD007
Game sold out!

Quote:
Tonight's game is officially a sellout, the third in a row at @Assembly_Hall. Thanks to #Illini nation for the great support of your team!

@IlliniHoops
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:13 AM   #91
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Game sold out!
Great news. Tonight is a must win game. You can't lose to NW at home.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:21 AM   #92
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
Time for a good old fashioned pounding, Assembly Hall style.

Illinois: 81
N'western: 59

Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:33 AM   #93
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedButkus View Post
In my opinion, "I think I read a quote" is disingenuous posting.
Lazy, really. He did say that he was open to anything though. Why wouldn't you be at this point?

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:36 AM   #94
U of I 89-05-10
Good LORD, you drama queens. Iowa just beat them by 20 in Evanston. If you think Iowa is better than we are, I'd call you an insecure fan.

NU 62
UI 84
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:37 AM   #95
champaignchris
Just scored A section seats. Look forward to seeing the guys get back on the winning track.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:39 AM   #96
U of I 89-05-10
Nice!! If we sellout vs. NU, I can't see who we won't sellout against! Let today be just another in a long line of sellouts and the start of another win streak at AH!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:41 AM   #97
Illinigirl
Quote:
Game sold out!

Great news! I'm expecting a great game tonight, really think they will respond & come out tough and get the win! Go Illini!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #98
illini ri0t
Banned
Hopefully this game will help these guys regain their stride. We have a few guys slumping. I love the fan support, another sellout baby!!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:01 PM   #99
WARDFORTHREE
What we really need tonight is BP to take over. They really don't have an answer for him. Drive, drive, drive. I think he responds.

BP-71
Housecats-58
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:12 PM   #100
theanonymousillini
Quote:
Game sold out!
On a limb I just tried to get 2 tickets through fightingillini.com and was able to find seats in B. Did another search, and was able to find 6 seats together (also in B). Anyone know what's up?
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »