Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois 71, Nebraska 51 POSTGAME

Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:32 PM   #76
IlliniSpine
Banned
IMO 6 more BT wins to go...still a LONG way to go.

If we can pull off 1 out of next 5 then we could do 5 wins this way (not including BTT):

1. Purdue at home
2. NW on road
3. PSU at home
4. NEB at home
5. Iowa on road

If we win 2 of next 5, we don't have to win that Iowa on the road game to get to 8-10
IlliniSpine is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:34 PM   #77
Dan
Admin

Rob McColley
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:34 PM   #78
IlliNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeandBlue4eva View Post
Let me clarify:how many games do we need to win out of the next 5 to stay in tourney?
2?
IlliNYC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:37 PM   #79
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini70math View Post
I will admit that one thing that bothers me is our extremely short rotation. I question how much improvement we can expect out of Langford, Shaw, and even Henry given their very limited minutes. In that respect, our change in head coach has not changed our rotation philosophy that I can see.
It'd be nice to go deeper, but we're far from alone in using a 7-man rotation. Tonight KU, MSU and UW all used 7-man rotations. I'm sure others did, too. Not uncommon this time of year. Key is only one player (DJ) played more than 30 mins tonight, so no one logged heavy mins, and we have 5 days off till UM.
HeartofaChampion is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #80
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander58 View Post
While many posters have been pretty critical of the officials in games previous, I really havent seen a game I thought was poorly officiated. Tonight, I thought the officiating was awful.
If you watch other conferences' games they seem a little rougher but they have an exciting flow back and forth displaying the personalities and skills and weaknesses the teams possess. The B1G is called extremely tight = Lots of fouls. Tonight however was an embarrassment to our league. Those refs were a poor example of what they are out there for. Did not effect outcome, just hard to watch. Held Neb under 60! Called it!

Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #81
HeartofaChampion
Our O produced a lot of open looks tonight. Better screening, quicker movement and better job of swinging the ball sideline to sideline to shift the D out of place and set them up for screens and cuts. Defensively we matched up well with UNL. Their guards aren't overly quick or physical, and their bigs are big but aren't very athletic. They have to be the 2nd-worst team in the B1G after PSU. NU looked much more skilled.

Question is can we maintain this intensity and focus?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:43 PM   #82
HeartofaChampion
What did JG say to earn a T? Looked like he was just talking to the ref, not being demonstrative or showing him up.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:48 PM   #83
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofaChampion View Post
What did JG say to earn a T? Looked like he was just talking to the ref, not being demonstrative or showing him up.
I'm guessing a four letter word. Looked like he was pretty calm, must have sad the right word.:laugh:

Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:53 PM   #84
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINISTU View Post
I'm guessing a four letter word. Looked like he was pretty calm, must have sad the right word.:laugh:
Whoever that referee was that T'd him up is one of the worst referees I've seen in the Big 10.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:55 PM   #85
Illinoiss
Banned
Anyone notice that we pushed the ball more. Uptempo, transition buckets.
Illinoiss is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:56 PM   #86
Groundhogday
Thank God we won. WHEW.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 PM   #87
blmillini
Okay, can all the !d!0t5 on here that keep calling for DJ to sit shut up now? He finally did the one thing that means anything to those people so they should be happy.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #88
HeartofaChampion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoiss View Post
Our bigs got more defensive boards, allowing our guards to leak out upcourt more often. Plus we had a couple of nice steals leading to transition baskets.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 PM   #89
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoiss View Post
We threw some decent passes tonight too.

The intensity was just better all around.

I still can't believe how sloppy we are with the ball sometimes. We had several occasions where we were lucky to keep the ball because we threw lazy, soft passes but were aggressive enough in receiving the ball to get away with it.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 PM   #90
BillyBob1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
Whoever that referee was that T'd him up is one of the worst referees I've seen in the Big 10.
I mentioned in the game thread, he is the same official that called the flagrant+1 against Joseph Bertrand last year at Penn St.

It was such a weak call. The basket should have counted and no foul called. Way too many touch fouls.
BillyBob1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 PM   #91
IlliniSpine
Banned
We won this game with 3 things primarily:

1. Boards
2. Defensive intensity
3. DJ goin' off

Won't be that easy vs. Mich or next 5...especially #1 or #3....will need #2 and hope we hit some shots by moving the ball...NEED NEED NEED TA to be on and not get into foul trouble.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:10 PM   #92
joekam
Got the must win. Now we need to go after an upset or two over the next few.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:10 PM   #93
Leonardite
Oh my.... The highs and lows of Illini basketball and the reaction from the fanbase after each W and L is incredible.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #94
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardite View Post
Oh my.... The highs and lows of Illini basketball and the reaction from the fanbase after each W and L is incredible.
My thoughts exactly.

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #95
IlliniSpine
Banned
Quote:
Haven't you figured out that you have to be manic-depressive to be an fan!?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 PM   #96
blmillini
Quote:
That's pretty much any fans that have any expectations.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:13 PM   #97
illinois_hustle
My Kool-Aid needs vodka
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
Illini-Ku:

A much needed win
Last year's demons exorcised.
Let's beat Michigan
Hey! :laugh:

...nice job though
illinois_hustle is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:17 PM   #98
blmillini
Did anyone else get annoyed with how often Eddie kept calling out our guys for playing too aggressively on defense at the end of the game? I understood his point but had two problems with it. First, I would think Groce was trying to make a point to the guys that they must play with a high level of intensity consistently (create the mindset). Second, Eddie never played a lick of defense when he was with the Illini (I loved him but he was just a gunner).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:41 PM   #99
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmillini View Post
That's pretty much any fans that have any expectations.
I expected us to be a bubble team at the beginning of the year. Fairly high expectations for a team that fell flat on its face last season.

However, I didn't get extremely pumped when we won Maui or beat Gonzaga. Excited? Yes. Nor did I scream and throw a hissy fit when we lost to Purdue and Northwestern. Was I disappointed? Sure. But I expected everything to even out over the course of the season, and it has... A lot of the people on here, though, are so bipolar game by game that I just find it incredible and slightly hysterical.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:47 PM   #100
blmillini
Quote:
I expected us to be a bubble team at the beginning of the year. Fairly high expectations for a team that fell flat on its face last season.

However, I didn't get extremely pumped when we won Maui or beat Gonzaga. Excited? Yes. Nor did I scream and throw a hissy fit when we lost to Purdue and Northwestern. Was I disappointed? Sure. But I expected everything to even out over the course of the season, and it has... A lot of the people on here, though, are so bipolar game by game that I just find it incredible and slightly hysterical.
I agree. I was just making the point that it happens everywhere. We should just be happy that we are moving in a positive direction, which I am.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »