Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:48 PM   #8976
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
I wonder how much of a chance we have with any of these kids
If a kid is willing to visit a school in his own dime, they're pretty serious most of the time about that school..

We probably lead for a few of the guys visiting. It'd be nice to see a 2014 pop.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:52 PM   #8977
ILLiniJoe32390
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
If a kid is willing to visit a school in his own dime, they're pretty serious most of the time about that school..

We probably lead for a few of the guys visiting. It'd be nice to see a 2014 pop.
Yea that's true. And yea we are over due for a 2014 commit!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:05 PM   #8978
Warriors1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post

Think we are leading enough for any to pull the trigger?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8979
ILLiniJoe32390
I'm really intrigued by that WR from Indiana who won the offensive MVP at the Core 6 thing.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:23 PM   #8980
RyanK
Quote:
I'm really intrigued by that WR from Indiana who won the offensive MVP at the Core 6 thing.
Wasn't that Jauan Wesley? He's from Illinois.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:32 PM   #8981
ILLiniJoe32390
I thought that Jon Vae Johnson won it
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:14 PM   #8982
RyanK
Quote:
You could be right. Hes teammates with Lonnie johnson
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:49 PM   #8983
CUWPC
Nice list for Junior Day.

http://247sports.com/Article/Area-Ta...ior-Day-113086
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:59 PM   #8984
quhawks12
Quote:
Doug Bucshon ‏@IllinoisRivals
Westerville (Ohio) South TE @darryl_long among visitors for #Illini junior day this weekend
Quote:
Allen Trieu ‏@AllenTrieu
Ft. Wayne South (Ind.) 2014 CB Donovan Clark was at #Iowa junior day, has #Illinois and #Indiana next:
Quote:
Allen Trieu ‏@AllenTrieu
Parrker Westphal, Nick Allegretti, Nile Sykes and others among the expected visitors for #Illinois junior day:
Quote:
Allen Trieu ‏@AllenTrieu
DeKalb (Ill.) 2015 RB Dre Brown holds two offers, headed to junior days at #Illinois and #Indiana:
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:16 PM   #8985
Juice
Man, that list of visitors is impressive
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:27 PM   #8986
Jimbo15
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidarrin View Post
A kid from Blues Springs Mo. visiting? Thats Mizzou Tigers territory there.
Home of Brandon Loyd
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:41 PM   #8987
Lake Camelot
I agree

I've found myself making more negative post than I want to lately. I have to be honest and say how I feel. So I am really glad to say I think this a great list of visitors. I hope we can start building.

I just hope we can get a couple really good O line players this year. It is very important to the future.

Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:01 PM   #8988
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Camelot View Post
I've found myself making more negative post than I want to lately. I have to be honest and say how I feel. So I am really glad to say I think this a great list of visitors. I hope we can start building.

I just hope we can get a couple really good O line players this year. It is very important to the future.
Yup, critical
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:21 PM   #8989
OrangeandBlue4eva
I feel like if we can somehow win 6 games and seem respectable, the recruiting will take off because recruits won't be scared away. I really don't know, but I have much more optimism for next year. I really like Beckman and hope he can get some great recruits, which will only make the program better.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:02 PM   #8990
BZuppke
The horror of this past season has faded somewhat and I start to feel we have a chance to be better. The experience of the new coaches, another year in beckman's system etc. give me hope.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:05 PM   #8991
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
The horror of this past season has faded somewhat and I start to feel we have a chance to be better. The experience of the new coaches, another year in beckman's system etc. give me hope.
There's certainly reasons for optimism, and also reasons for pessimism. I'm just eager to see how everything pans out. I'm in the middle somewhere. Not too optimistic, not too pessimistic.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:24 PM   #8992
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
There's certainly reasons for optimism, and also reasons for pessimism. I'm just eager to see how everything pans out. I'm in the middle somewhere. Not too optimistic, not too pessimistic.
Ditto. It is hard to be optimistic when we are losing our two best OL, our three best DL (two are probably going to be playing on Sundays), and virtually our entire secondary. And to make matters worse, we had little depth at those positions last season.

Perhaps better chemistry and fewer injuries can help overcome some of these losses, but a reasonable assessment would be that we are at minimum a year away from a real turnaround (2014).

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8993
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Ditto. It is hard to be optimistic when we are losing our two best OL, our three best DL (two are probably going to be playing on Sundays), and virtually our entire secondary. And to make matters worse, we had little depth at those positions last season.

Perhaps better chemistry and fewer injuries can help overcome some of these losses, but a reasonable assessment would be that we are at minimum a year away from a real turnaround (2014).
Will be satisfied with pieces of improvement not necessarily translated to our W-L record....the tranquility of low expectations
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:44 AM   #8994
AHSIllini32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilama View Post
Will be satisfied with pieces of improvement not necessarily translated to our W-L record....the tranquility of low expectations
There's a difference between low expectations and realistic expectations though. Low means we are shooting for under what we should really achieve such as saying "let's just make another bowl, any bowl" before the 2008 season. Turns out that would have been better than what we got...

However, that's not where we're at right now. I'm encouraged by a couple of things on the recruiting side this year: 1) Beckman and co's. ability to evaluate players early on before the big boys come calling as was the case with Jones and Dawson (off the top of my head) and 2) their ability to hold together a class that is balanced, fills a bunch of needs, and still has some top end talent coming off a 2-10 season.

Now obviously none of the potential recruiting pluses of this staff matter if we don't start showing improvement.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:12 AM   #8995
Big Bill
Quote:
He played at Wide Reciever at Lake Central HS last year. Has good speed and hands. Don't understand why 2014 Gelen Robinson DE/LB has nor been offered. Robinson will be a top three player in the state of Indiana next year! Incredible strength and quickness.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:21 AM   #8996
LincolnIlliniFan
New football commit (preferred walk on) WR Kevin Carrol from St. Thomas Moore from right here in Champaign
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:56 AM   #8997
veerman76
Veerman76
Could someone explain jr day are all these kids invited or do they show up on there own?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:56 AM   #8998
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Ditto. It is hard to be optimistic when we are losing our two best OL,
I would not call Pocic one of our 2 best OL. He was probably one of the worst 2 OL last year. Granted this was because of playing hurt but it's true. But, yeah, I agree with the total point of your post.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:05 AM   #8999
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
There's a difference between low expectations and realistic expectations though. Low means we are shooting for under what we should really achieve such as saying "let's just make another bowl, any bowl" before the 2008 season. Turns out that would have been better than what we got...

However, that's not where we're at right now. I'm encouraged by a couple of things on the recruiting side this year: 1) Beckman and co's. ability to evaluate players early on before the big boys come calling as was the case with Jones and Dawson (off the top of my head) and 2) their ability to hold together a class that is balanced, fills a bunch of needs, and still has some top end talent coming off a 2-10 season.

Now obviously none of the potential recruiting pluses of this staff matter if we don't start showing improvement.
I think that low expectations are more than often realistic expectations with our snake bitten program....that is different than hope...got plenty of that!!!!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:12 AM   #9000
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
I would not call Pocic one of our 2 best OL. He was probably one of the worst 2 OL last year. Granted this was because of playing hurt but it's true. But, yeah, I agree with the total point of your post.
Playing hurt and being jerked all over the line. Pocic at RT? But regardless, there isn't a lot of proven talent returning on the OL.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »