Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Recruiting Thread

Closed Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:14 AM   #9001
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Playing hurt and being jerked all over the line. Pocic at RT? But regardless, there isn't a lot of proven talent returning on the OL.
Yes being jerked all over the line did not help. But he was not good...at any spot. Actually I think he was worst at C towards the end of the season than any of the other OL.

The 5 OL that played most the time last year I would have probably ranked based solely on in-game performance:

1. Thornton
2. Karras
3. Simon C
4. Pocic
5. Heitz/Hill
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:17 AM   #9002
quhawks12
The other key with this OL I feel is playing together. Knowing how to help the guys around you as well as take care of your responsibilities. If you remember last year if any team ran a DL stunt it was a sack. Because we simply did not know how to pass a guy off and take on the guy that came back to us. We chased and lunged nearly ever play.

So to me step one is having the OL play as a cohesive group. UNDERSTAND the playbook inside and out. Playing as a group.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:33 AM   #9003
Calilama
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
The other key with this OL I feel is playing together. Knowing how to help the guys around you as well as take care of your responsibilities. If you remember last year if any team ran a DL stunt it was a sack. Because we simply did not know how to pass a guy off and take on the guy that came back to us. We chased and lunged nearly ever play.

So to me step one is having the OL play as a cohesive group. UNDERSTAND the playbook inside and out. Playing as a group.
Agree with this...whatever the new staff settles on as a blocking scheme will require a total buy in and serious repetition...however, no amount of cohesion can help what I saw out of Simon C and Heitz with edge rushers..the only guy they passed off the defensive end to was our quarterback...which might be why Pocic ended up at OT

Will be interested to see where and if Thornton and Pocic get drafted
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:39 AM   #9004
Calilama
Banned
Also just hated how Pocic telegraphed the snap count in the shotgun by locking out his legs and sticking his butt up in the air until he was ready to snap...just never understood why he didn't remain in his crouch so the D couldn't key on him and really tee off
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:02 PM   #9005
calibear
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Yes being jerked all over the line did not help. But he was not good...at any spot. Actually I think he was worst at C towards the end of the season than any of the other OL.

The 5 OL that played most the time last year I would have probably ranked based solely on in-game performance:

1. Thornton
2. Karras
3. Simon C
4. Pocic
5. Heitz/Hill
Sounds about right.
Along wiith the schemes and blocking assignments was the problem moving the players in and out (alot because of injuries) and along the line to a different position. They never had a chance to gain and continuity or recognition of what the guys beside them tendencies , thus allowing said player to move accordingly. Your dance partner never knowing what you would do in ballroom dancing.

Last edited by calibear; Jan 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:39 PM   #9006
ILLiniJoe32390
So does anyone think we pick up a commit from a 2014 this weekend?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:01 PM   #9007
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibear View Post
Sounds about right.
Along wiith the schemes and blocking assignments was the problem moving the players in and out (alot because of injuries) and along the line to a different position. They never had a chance to gain and continuity or recognition of what the guys beside them tendencies , thus allowing said player to move accordingly. Your dance partner never knowing what you would do in ballroom dancing.
Another thing to consider is that developing offensive linemen and an offensive line (as a unit) is a multi-year undertaking. I have to believe that Gilbert did a terrible job of laying the foundation for this unit.

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:02 PM   #9008
illinidarrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
I kinda doubt it. We usually dont get early commitments like that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:04 PM   #9009
quhawks12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLiniJoe32390 View Post
Don't think so. But I wouldn't be surprised if we did. I think we'll have 2 or 3 by the end of February.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9010
calibear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Another thing to consider is that developing offensive linemen and an offensive line (as a unit) is a multi-year undertaking. I have to believe that Gilbert did a terrible job of laying the foundation for this unit.
Thou I have repeatedly asked if we could land another olineman particularly a jc unlike many others I like the potential of a number underclassmen. Two problems with that. First unproven goes hand in hand with potential second finding the right combination then have them drill in their sleep. Keeping them at said position.,
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:26 PM   #9011
calibear
Unlike last this year next class is very likely to be slow out of the gate in terms of commitments. Remember other staffs are going to be on the express train of 'your coaches are going to be gone by next year'.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:12 PM   #9012
uofi09
'14 recruit Mikale Wilbon said on twitter that he hopes that the illini offers Aaron Roberts. Does this is mean Wilbon favors Illinois if he wants Illinois to someone?

Here is Roberts' twitter. It is like the 14th or 15th one down? I don't know how to show just the one tweet that I am talking about?
https://twitter.com/D1_Roberts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:32 PM   #9013
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofi09 View Post
'14 recruit Mikale Wilbon said on twitter that he hopes that the illini offers Aaron Roberts. Does this is mean Wilbon favors Illinois if he wants Illinois to someone?

Here is Roberts' twitter. It is like the 14th or 15th one down? I don't know how to show just the one tweet that I am talking about?
Probably just means he hopes his teammate gets his first offer at junior day.

Here's the tweet:
Quote:
@BornReady5_ATG: I hope #Illini offer my big fella @D1_Roberts #BeenWorkingHard #HeNeedThat
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:35 PM   #9014
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Probably just means he hopes his teammate gets his first offer at junior day.

Here's the tweet:
Kinda sounds like Wilbon favors Illinois too to me.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:39 PM   #9015
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Kinda sounds like Wilbon favors Illinois too to me.
Not sure how you guys are getting that from that tweet?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:08 PM   #9016
RHITIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK View Post
Not sure how you guys are getting that from that tweet?
Some wishful thinkers on this board.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:25 AM   #9017
PaytonHighstep
I take the tweet at face value. It sounds like he is pulling for his friend to get an offer at the next event he goes to, which happens to be the illini jr. day and the state school.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:28 AM   #9018
CUWPC
Quote:

Might be worth the offer. 6'6 285 plus teammates with Wilbon and Jamarco Jones.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9019
Juice
Per Core6 twitter account, 2014 DL Dylan Thompson offered by Illinois
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:41 AM   #9020
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Per Core6 twitter account, 2014 DL Dylan Thompson offered by Illinois
Good find.

@core6athletes: Hearing Core 6 Athletes Class of 2014 DL Dylan Thompson got #Illinois to offer today. Our Class of 2014 is stacked.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/illinois/foo...mokvErbaw6sJB4

Last edited by RyanK; Jan 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 AM   #9021
RHITIllini
Thompson is a workout warrior. Kid is really strong and doesn't have much wasted weight
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:57 AM   #9022
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHITIllini View Post
Thompson is a workout warrior. Kid is really strong and doesn't have much wasted weight
What school does he go to?

Edit: Nevermind. Thanks for the link Ryan.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:34 PM   #9023
Holdemall
Quote:

Is Wilbon any relation?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:09 PM   #9024
uofi09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdemall View Post
Is Wilbon any relation?
to Michael Wilbon, of PTI fame?
I don't think so. I think someone (in this thread, but I can't remember who) had said that there was no relation.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9025
quhawks12
A Twitter summary of today's junior day:

Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
Wheaton Ill. St. Francis junior RB James Butler will call a few new coaches this weekend plus will visit Illinois
Quote:
Jamarco Jones ‏@jjones_73
Michigan, Ohio State and Illinois stopped by today!
Quote:
Steve Wiltfong ‏@SWiltfong247
A stacked junior day at #Illinois today. News & Notes on many of the top prospects attending. http://247sports.com/Article/Area-Ta...ior-Day-113086 … via @247Sports #Illini
Quote:
Jared Shanker ‏@JShankerESPN
Looks like @Reggie_Spearman made it to #Iowa. #Hawkeyes #Illini
Quote:
Core 6 Athletes ‏@core6athletes
Hearing Core 6 Athletes Class of 2014 DL Dylan Thompson got #Illinois to offer today. Our Class of 2014 is stacked.
Quote:
Steve Wiltfong ‏@SWiltfong247
Lombard (IL) Montini Catholic 2014 DL Dylan Thompson confirms #Illinois has offered today at junior day.
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
My evaluation of Montini Catholic junior DL Dylan Thompson, who reported was offered by #Illinois today ($) http://bit.ly/W6YgEp
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
2014 DE Vontae Diggs on Illinois visit? "Yeah I liked it at Illinois.. Overall it was a good visit to Illinois."
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
2015 SHG OT Quinn Oseland also was a no show at #Illinois along with Thornton 2014 DB Tifonte Hunt
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
Both Oseland, Hunt and Thornton WR Jauan Wesley planning to go to the hoops game tomorrow at #Illinois
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
2014 St. Charles North OT Chase Gianacakos on IL? ($) "He (Beckman) talked alot abt recruiting Chicagoland hard."
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
Jacksonville Ill. OL/DL Blake Hance was a last minute scratch today for the #Illinois junior day http://bit.ly/WodfcL will visit tomorrow
Quote:
Ryan Easterling ‏@RyanEasterling
Chicago Mt. Carmel RB Matt Domer offered by #Illinois today
Quote:
Matthew Domer 4⃣ ‏@DreamBIG_4
Got my Illinois Offer today! Truly blessed . I pray they keep rollin in ! Thank you ������
Quote:
EDGYTIM.com ‏@EDGYTIM
Frankfort Ill. Lincoln-Way North ATH Julian Hylton liked what he saw today at #Illinois
Quote:
Tim Beckman ‏@coachbeckman
We had an unbelievable Jr Day!! Thank you to all #FutureFightingIllini for coming today! #ILLININATION #WIN
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »