Haven't been in the game thread, but surprised BP3 isn't being given credit. Majority of us are always ready to point out the bad, myself included, but he kept at it tonight and had key plays.
Started out slow with couple bad shots and TOs, but stuck with it on def and had that nice steal and dive for the ball that led to DJ's 3 point play. Scored clutch buckets to keep Illini ahead late in the game and had 13 points in second half alone.
Yeah he missed some free throws, but at least he was being aggressive and getting to the line. Hopefully this game breaks him out of his mini slump. He played a great all around game tonight. And he had NO turnovers, according to the espn box score
1. We played Penn State. It was an ugly game. Oh, I repeat myself. There are just few teams in college basketball that can uglify a game like the Nittany Lions. But we won!
2. PSU was able to keep the game reasonably close by playing good defense and hitting a run of threes at the end of the game. Particularly at the start of the game, their defense was really limiting our offense. They were very well prepared to defend against our offense, and we looked pretty bad out of the gate.
3. Ultimately it was their fouling that did them in, but our weak free throw shooting kept us from pulling away. We did make enough free throws at the end to keep them at bay in spite of their rain of late threes.
4. Nobody played brilliantly for the Illini, but lots of guys made solid contributions. DJ has become Mr. Reliable, and this game was no different. His 8 of 9 from the free throw line on his way to 18 points was crucial in the win.
5. Brandon was effective again. He didn't shoot well at all from the free throw line, but he did a lot of good things including getting two charging calls against PSU that were key turnovers. He managed to grind out 16 points, 13 in the second half, while playing a good overall game. That's the difference between winning and losing. His defense was excellent again.
6. Tyler was very quiet today, but Myke Henry did a nice job in his 10 minutes. I am not sure why he didn't play more, but I presume it was defensive issues. Joe B was fairly quiet as well, but we needed every one of his six points. Tracy also played a solid if not spectacular game.
7. Sam and Nnanna struggled against the PSU big guy, and we were outrebounded 34 to 25 by PSU, which was not good. Sam did contribute some nice offensive plays at key times, and Nnanna was going for the Play of the Day on his breakaway. At first I thought is was in slo-mo, but then they replayed it and it was real-time!
8. One scary thought is that PSU stands to get Frazier back next season. With their current guards plus Frazier, they will be a serious team, particularly if their big guy continues to play as well as he has for the last three games.
9. We won our 20th game of the season, and we very likely locked up an NCAA tourney berth with that win. I don't want to test that theory, so I want to see at least one more win (Nebraska will do). Well, we are back at .500! All those who "knew" we would be there now after the Wisconsin are...liars!!! Congratulations to the players and the coaches on what is already a successful season. Now let's make it a special season!
its good to get a win. but i think the word for tonight is disappointing. We were hoping to hit them in the jaw and they really didnt do it
Playing this way, we're 1-3 at best the rest of the way. This level of play will result in blowouts, on the sadface side, on the road at UM, Iowa, OSU.
Kudos for fighting back to .500, but they still seem a faint echo of the team that started the year. Seems like DJ is the only guy with any consistent offense, and free throws were just abysmal, tonight.