Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (July-August 2013)

Closed Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:38 AM   #6926
daymanahahah
Did he take down the tweet? i dont see it on his twitter page
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:41 AM   #6927
troyk
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyinLex View Post
I bet Groce is not concerned. Anyone find it odd that UI's preseason "event" is not scheduled yet? Groce is figuring the right time to "plan" the event, which would in theory be better than a UV or OV. As many have said before, Cliff and family know what Groce is selling, Groce knows Cliff needs to feel the excitement/love from the fans and commitment from future teammates, and this preseason "event" will do the trick.

When we know the date, that will unlock the treasure.
I hope that isn't the case.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:05 AM   #6928
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Why do I get the feeling that with all the pushing and pulling going on with CA's recruitment, that an April 2014 signing is not out of the question. An awful lot of drama here.
Think this has real possibilities. The Humble Kid is definitely enjoying the process. He is working it, thinking about how to keep the spotlight and I am enjoying the heck out of it. He's impressed me, for what little that is worth.

But I don't have nearly as much interest in his recruitment as he does (how could I?) so I hope this show doesn't have an extended run until April. If it does, well, it does. But I hope not.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:33 AM   #6929
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by daymanahahah View Post
Did he take down the tweet? i dont see it on his twitter page
Yeah, I believe he did.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:39 AM   #6930
troyk
Banned
Is Okafor's recruitment similar to Cliff's? I feel like Okafor has a lot less drama and speculation in his.

I really want Cliff, but I also really want his recruitment to just be over.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:40 AM   #6931
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyk View Post
Why take an OV to DePaul?
Why not? You ever parent a teenager?
Maybe he just wants to PO someone or maybe he has a good friend that wants to go there. It doesn't have to make sense to us.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:50 AM   #6932
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmal View Post
I have no idea what the DePaul visit signifies. And I think he wants it that way. Color me baffled.
DePaul is CA's safety school plus his host for OV is Rahm. $300 million for an arena needs some type of payback.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:51 AM   #6933
cali illini
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217sports View Post
You know what this says? His official visits vs unofficial visits mean absolutely nothing. I take this as good news.
This
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6934
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618MattD View Post
I have a feeling that Coach Groce knows that LB is going to verbal on his OV. If that is the case, then he can go after Cliff with everything he has. Snider would be a good get, but I don't see it as a huge need. I think that Tate will surprise a lot of people this year. Not that we have a huge hole at the forward spots, but a player of Cliff's ability would absolutely be huge to get.
removing perception and coolness from the equation, Snider and Black would likely have larger impact on the future success of the program than Cliff. I think Cliff moves you into FF contention the one year he's here. I think a class of Snider, Black, Finke with 2 years of Cosby and 3 of Paul and the 2013 guys would solidify the program back into the top 15 for their time here. If a couple break out, sky's the limit.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:54 AM   #6935
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Wow I wish I had some of what you're smoking. Hate to sound like this...but wake up fellas.
In conclusion I think he come to u I
self ad hominem
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:01 AM   #6936
justsomedude
Here's my take. If it is true that this visit means nothing and he was willing to just throw away the 5th visit, so to speak, I really wish he'd have done it at Illinois.

Even if it's 100% subconscious, he will be able to remember Kansas and the other OV's wining and dining him, while we aren't allowed.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:02 AM   #6937
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
It's simple. This is all about Cliff still wanting to be the #1 player in the country. Look how quick he was to correct Goodman today and others in the past when they reported that he had narrowed it down to a couple of teams. Keeping all of these schools involved keeps interest high and keeps the spotlight on him. Once Oak/Jones commit to Duke, all eyes will be on Cliff. So why not keep everyone off track? I still believe that he will pick Kansas in the end, but Groce is certainly still in the race and will be there till the end.
Excellent points. CA can't officially have an agent, yet, but I'm sure he has plenty of people who are advising him on how to market himself to the NBA, right now and every way possible. It's just smart business.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:13 AM   #6938
Beef wit Peppers
CA already knows JFG and the Illinois staff very well. He is only taking these visits (DePaul) to solidify/reinforce his decision to take his talents to C-U.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6939
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
But if he loves Groce, why not give Illinois some cred?
One second after he picks a school everyone forgets about ALL his visits. Whether they were OVs or not becomes completely irrelevant.

I don't get this "cred" argument.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6940
TCTORNADO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
Excellent points. CA can't officially have an agent, yet, but I'm sure he has plenty of people who are advising him on how to market himself to the NBA, right now and every way possible. It's just smart business.
And Mike Irvin's occupation is what, again?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6941
gordonbacon15
Anybody happen to know how many visits Cliff has taken to DePaul?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:23 AM   #6942
IlliniRunIn07
This obviously came as a shock to me. I don't think DePaul is a major player. Maybe this means nothing, but can we please stop pretending this is somehow good news?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6943
Symmooth
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetolives View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ost-in-college

Interesting article on which elite recruits will struggle in college (LB received a vote, but so did pretty much everyone).
Thanks for the link. They seem to imply that 2015 will be a stronger field and we have a lot of open spots for 2015.

I'd be plenty happy with Starks and LB for 2014, winning lots of games, then getting a bunch of stud 2015s.

What if CA comes here and we have a Bucknell Bradley Bill end to our season? All comes to he who waits.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:44 AM   #6944
Strobes77
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
This obviously came as a shock to me. I don't think DePaul is a major player. Maybe this means nothing, but can we please stop pretending this is somehow good news?
It's better than an OV to UK or MSU. I honestly don't think OV v UV is a big deal at all.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6945
robirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
DePaul has NO chance at all and you are right, it isn't good news. We may still hold a very slim shot.... but I agree with the TRUE insiders in here and say he is/has been KU's to lose for a while now.

Black and Snider would be a better focus and highly more likely......and a fantastic get if that can be pulled off.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6946
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksTaylorFan View Post
I was talking about all 5 OV's in general. I don't think the OV to DePaul means much at all and that it's more out of love for Purnell. Cliff decided his 4 OV's pretty quickly and has been stewing on the 5th for awhile. Why not use the extra one on DePaul and give the city school some cred? My thought was that maybe Goodman's article today spurning DePaul led Cliff to deciding on visiting DePaul? JMO.
Either way all of us want to spin this news, the official to DePaul is a huge slap in the face to Groce. No way CA comes here. No way he goes to DePaul either, but this just cements that cold hard fact in my opinion.....
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:54 AM   #6947
Shiloh
It seems like Cliff is doing everything possible to dispel the notion that he has any favorites at this point.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6948
TCTORNADO
Oliver Purnell gets his haircut at gO's barbershop.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6949
jmat
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217sports View Post
Don't associate me with that stuff, that's just ignorant.

So your saying that illinois, MSU, and UK are all out of this recruitment because we don't get an official? DePaul is in it more than us because they do? No.
no thats not what im saying at all. i just dont see how you could take this as good news
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6950
jmat
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmooth View Post
self ad hominem
just tyrin to keep high hopes. haha
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »