Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Mannie Jackson elected into Basketball Hall of Fame

Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:51 AM   #1
StateFarmCenter
Quote:
Congrats to my friend and #ILLINI legend Mannie Jackson on his inclusion in 2017 Naismith Basketball HOF class! @illiniad
https://twitter.com/IlliniAD/status/848215290131484673

Last edited by Dan; Apr 1, 2017 at 11:22 AM.
StateFarmCenter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:00 AM   #2
peoriabball13
Hear, hear!!! For he's a jolly good felloooooooooow!!!
peoriabball13 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Centennial Illini
He was born in a railroad boxcar near Illmo, Missouri. Real poverty but close friends of mine who went to school with him in that time tell of people in Eville who saw something in him, steered him in the right, mentored him and then got out of his way.

And when he saw opportunity he jumped on it with both feet. A real Horatio Alger story. He also went to school in Champaign when that was not a welcoming town for black Americans. And to his everlasting credit, he grew past that
Centennial Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:50 AM   #4
IllGuardU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centennial Illini View Post
He was born in a railroad boxcar near Illmo, Missouri. Real poverty but close friends of mine who went to school with him in that time tell of people in Eville who saw something in him, steered him in the right, mentored him and then got out of his way.

And when he saw opportunity he jumped on it with both feet. A real Horatio Alger story. He also went to school in Champaign when that was not a welcoming town for black Americans. And to his everlasting credit, he grew past that
Amazing story! Thanks for sharing. Congrats Mannie on an outstanding life of accomplishment!
IllGuardU is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Centennial Illini
To say that Mannie Jackson was a player for the Harlem Globetrotters is like saying Ernie Banks worked part time for the Chicago Cubs.

He owns the Harlem Globetrotters.

He was executive vice president in charge of corporate acquisitions for Honeywell before he was 40.

I know that he is getting in for his basketball accomplishments but his life was a lot more nuanced than that.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 02:36 PM   #6
Obelix
Complete list of 2017 inductees. Ex-Illini coach Bill Self also made it (as expected):

Tracy McGrady
Bill Self
Rebecca Lobo
Muffet McGraw
Robert Hughes
Jerry Krause
George McGinnis
Nikos Galis - Onions!
Zack Clayton
Mannie Jackson
Tom Jernstedt
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:43 PM   #7
89illini
What a great day for Illini basketball. If anyone exemplifies what we want Illini players to do in life beyond their on court performance, it is Mannie Jackson.

Many congrats to him for a life well lived. All Illini fans have something truly great to brag about.
89illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Illini B-Ball Fan
Congrats, Mannie!

Old Apr 1, 2017, 07:41 PM   #9
Seagee
A good friend of mine, Alison Davis-Wood, produced a great documentary about Manny Jackson called "From Boxcar to Boardrooms."

As the first African American b-ball team captain he automatically became the first black Homecoming King. Not our school's proudest moment how they handled worry over the optics of him being publicly coupled with the white Homecoming Queen. Kudos to her for having the courage to stand up to the Administration and do the right thing back then. She actually attended the film's premiere here a few years ago. Class act.

You can watch the entire 43 minute film here:

From Boxcar to Boardrooms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugz6oPGIun0

Last edited by Dan; Apr 1, 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Seagee is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:05 PM   #10
jerome
A statue outside SFC of Mannie Jackson would be brilliant, on multiple levels.

Not in Illinois uniform. Suit and tie, or maybe tie with sleeves rolled up.

Not exaggerating: He should be the symbol of the program, henceforth.
jerome is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Illinimobile
Harlem Globetrotters - The Team That Changed the World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiF1Ghi3UI
Illinimobile is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:55 PM   #12
Illinimobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinimobile View Post
Manny is featured prominently in this documentary of course (along with several other notable personalities). I highly recommend this 1 hr documentary.
Illinimobile is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2017, 01:12 PM   #13
Centennial Illini
When he lived in Eville as a very young boy, people have told me that he would go with his mother to clean the houses and do the laundry in the homes on St Louis St. His work ethic, politeness, and sharpness caught the eye of a lot of those people and they mentored him.

A friend of mine who was a freshman when Mannie was a senior used the word "aura" to describe Mannie walking down the hall in school. Cream always rises to the top.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 01:45 PM   #14
Obelix
Great day for a great Illini tomorrow. On media day today at the HOF, Mannie Jackson addressed reporters.

Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Thor015
That's awesome! Congrats and well Deserved. I would support a statue!
Thor015 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Good for Mannie.

Also--weird seeing Self in an orange jacket again....