Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

NFL Draft: Corey Liuget to Chargers, Mikel Leshoure to Lions, Martez Wilson to Saints, Nate Bussey to Saints

Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:22 PM   #126
DrewD007
@AaronMatas: #Illini Junior RB Mikel Leshoure met with coach Ron Zook today and told him he is leaning towards the #NFL. No decision yet though.

DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:07 AM   #127
tdub35
So what is everyones final thoughts on what will happen? and will their be a scheulded press confrence for their decision?
tdub35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:27 AM   #128
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdub35 View Post
So what is everyones final thoughts on what will happen? and will their be a scheulded press confrence for their decision?
There probably will be a press conference. As of Friday, Asmussen said there had been nothing scheduled. I'm guessing the guys take as long as possible to make the decision... with a Jan 15th deadline they really don't get that much time.

Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:59 AM   #129
mmccallum
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
He might never be drafted higher. The negatives (primarily a lack of top end speed) aren't going to change with another year at Illinois. I suppose he could improve his pass catching and blocking skills, but those aren't big negatives (a lot of college feature backs need work in those areas when moving up to the NFL).
What you guys think are his odds at the Hiesman if he returned?
A few more games like at NW and...
Of course he woudl be going up against the Stanford QB, but he won't have his coach anymore.
mmccallum is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:06 PM   #130
RHITIllini
luck will be good regardless
and James from Oregon will be back.

He could probably make it to NY but unless he goes wild (i.e. 2000 yards) then i dont know that he wins
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:07 PM   #131
tdub35
I think this would be doubtful for him to win the hiesman.. While we are talking about leshoure did anyone else notice that he seemed to be playing hurt for half of the season?? It seemed he would come up with a limp sometimes. Take himself out and the trainer would come talk to him.
tdub35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:51 PM   #132
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccallum View Post
Huge long shot. I doubt that is a serious factor in his deliberations.

Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:14 PM   #133
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccallum View Post
A few more games like at NW and...
Of course he woudl be going up against the Stanford QB, but he won't have his coach anymore.
To much emphasis on being in the NC hunt to make a serious run.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 03:50 PM   #134
Groundhogday
Quote:
Illini awaiting trio’s decision

All three juniors have seriously considered a jump to pro football, but the possibility of an NFL lockout has them reevaluating the options, a reliable source said...

Supinie
So no lockout and all three are probably gone. With a high probability of a lockout...?

Old Jan 9, 2011, 04:03 PM   #135
Oskeefan
Come on lockout, or rumors thereof!

John Clay just entered the draft, hope this year's underclassmen don't waste a season. Next January Andrew Luck could appear as the smartest Heisman winner in a long time, IMHO.
Oskeefan is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 04:39 PM   #136
BMD48
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskeefan View Post
Next January Andrew Luck could appear as the smartest Heisman winner in a long time, IMHO.
Taking a look at a lot of the Heisman winners, he appears to be the smartest ever hands down.
BMD48 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:12 AM   #137
Dan
Admin
Quote:
schadjoe
Illinois LB Martez Wilson has filed papers to enter the next NFL draft
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:25 AM   #138
Groundhogday
Interesting that Martez was the first to apply. He was thought to be the most likely to return.

Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:28 AM   #139
quhawks12
4 years...already has a degree...will be a combine freak. Can't blame him. Good luck Martez I'll be rooting for you wherever you end up!

Paging Brandon Denmark and Jonathon Brown....
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:50 AM   #140
Shief
Im with qukawks, good luck Tez. The Illini Nation will miss you but we wish you all the luck in the draft. Show the NFL what Illinois linebackers and defensive players are like.

Mikel and Corey please stay but if you move on do the same, show what Big Ten power football is about.
Shief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:01 AM   #141
Obelix
Martez Wilson officially enters draft, per ESPN with comments.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nc...ory?id=6007747
Obelix is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:01 AM   #142
touper
Excuse my ignorance...but does this work similarly to the NBA draft where Tez can withdraw by a certain date if he doesn't hire an agent? Has there been any talk about granting players eligibility that have declared if there is a lockout?
touper is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:15 AM   #143
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by touper View Post
Excuse my ignorance...but does this work similarly to the NBA draft where Tez can withdraw by a certain date if he doesn't hire an agent? Has there been any talk about granting players eligibility that have declared if there is a lockout?
I believe there is a 72-hrs grace period to reconsider (assuming you have not hired an agent). I believe the same is true if you go undrafted. Obviously, going through the NFL draft without an agent almost never happens.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:32 AM   #144
WesterveltVictoryCigar
I know a lot expected Tez to return, but the fact that he's been on campus for 4 years and probably feels he's ready to move on isn't too surprising.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:37 AM   #145
ChitownIllini
I can't say as I'm surprised. I'm glad that Tez had a good season. Hope for his sake (and the good of our program) that he does well in the combine and gets drafted earlier.
ChitownIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:42 AM   #146
OrangeFever
Lead, don't follow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Interesting that Martez was the first to apply. He was thought to be the most likely to return.
Well, least likely among us uninformed Illini fans. I think they'll all declare. Leshoure should cash in. Liuget probably should, too. I have real reservations about Wilson's prospects at the next level. He struggled to learn schemes and keep up here. Everything accelerates, intensifies, and grows in complexity in the NFL, and the demands are higher since it's a job.

We'll see. His decision doesn't surprise me in the least.
OrangeFever is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:44 AM   #147
RHITIllini
We're forgetting, he's the only one of the three who has a degree...
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:44 AM   #148
Obelix
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
I know a lot expected Tez to return, but the fact that he's been on campus for 4 years and probably feels he's ready to move on isn't too surprising.
The only player in a similar situation actually was Kevin Hardy. He had been at UI 4 years (he was a RS junior) and was actually probably more highly ranked than Tez after his RS junior year. He also had his degree in hand. The move to come back even surprised Tepper at the time.

Obviously, it paid off for Hardy in the next year's draft. But overall, Kevin Hardy was an exception. You can't blame Tez for his decision.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:56 AM   #149
LDD4511
I really hope he gets drafted by a team with a 3-4 defense. That's his best bet at success in the NFL IMO.
LDD4511 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:14 PM   #150
BWBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWBW View Post
There are many reasons we can post here to try and convince ourselves Martez should or will come back.

Martez is making the decision and money is compelling. He has graduated. He seems ready to move on. So far as I know, he hasn't enrolled in graduate school.

So, I think he's gone.
I don't know why anyone thought Martez was the most likely to return. At least since December 10th, that he would leave seemed most likely.
BWBW is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »