Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Spring Game Rosters / Depth Charts

Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#Illini Spring Game rosters were picked last night in a draft by seniors. Here's a peek: http://bit.ly/Ih7cxh. Who you got? Orange or Blue?

http://twitter.com/IlliniFootball
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
NS2toAJ8
I like the orange team in this one.
NS2toAJ8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:08 PM   #3
DrewD007
Depth Chart

Looks pretty even to me.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
Depth Chart

Looks pretty even to me.
So...
  • Heitz is now a LT (behind Simon C?) with Flavin and McDowell at RT? That is a bit surprising given his lack of athleticism.
  • LaCosse ahead of Davis at TE?
  • Foster, Tietsma and Woods (from DE) at DT?
  • Caldwell ahead of Denmark at Leo?
  • Spence, Howe, Rhodes and O'Conner at Nose tackle. Let's hope Spence stays healthy.
  • With Thornton, Hill and Boles at LG, that might be a strength both now and in the future.
  • We have four scholarship corners, three of whom use up their eligibility this year.

Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:04 PM   #5
NS2toAJ8
We really really need to land like 4 or 5 quality impact DBs this year. We already have one which is a good start.
NS2toAJ8 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:35 PM   #6
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
So...
  • Heitz is now a LT (behind Simon C?) with Flavin and McDowell at RT? That is a bit surprising given his lack of athleticism.
  • Spence, Howe, Rhodes and O'Conner at Nose tackle. Let's hope Spence stays healthy.
  • With Thornton, Hill and Boles at LG, that might be a strength both now and in the future.
  • We have four scholarship corners, three of whom use up their eligibility this year.
Zook didn't leave the cupboard bare, but most of what's in there is in single-serve packaging.

Former Illini Pride President (2012-2013)
Orange Krush Class of 2013!

Orange Krush Road Trip @ Iowa, Feb. 3, 2010
danielb927 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:18 AM   #7
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Depth Chart

Looks pretty even to me.
Quote:
So...
That's not a "depth chart", it's the teams for the spring game. I wouldn't read too much into the player listings based on this.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Thacher_H_Guild
Quote:
if Illinois had a real game today, Beckman said Wednesday, two-year starter Scheelhaase would be first up at quarterback.

"Nate has probably separated himself from the other two," Beckman said.

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...arterback.html
No surprise for the people who watched last year, but probably a surprise for all the folks who thought Zook was stupid for playing NS over O'Toole. (Unless they've concluded Beckman is stupid too, but probably too early for that.)
Thacher_H_Guild is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
That's not a "depth chart", it's the teams for the spring game. I wouldn't read too much into the player listings based on this.
But there is a depth chart for each team which gives us some information on relative standings at present. And it provides positional information. It is something of a shock to see Heitz at LT.

Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
But there is a depth chart for each team which gives us some information on relative standings at present. And it provides positional information. It is something of a shock to see Heitz at LT.
He may simply have been the best option given the OL on that team. Doesn't mean he's going to play there in the fall.

Nor would I read much into the fact that LaCosse is listed "ahead" of Davis. Sometimes the listings are used as motivation tools, especially in the spring or fall camp.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:12 AM   #11
illiniobserver22
Quote:
He may simply have been the best option given the OL on that team. Doesn't mean he's going to play there in the fall.

Nor would I read much into the fact that LaCosse is listed "ahead" of Davis. Sometimes the listings are used as motivation tools, especially in the spring or fall camp.
Agree. No evidence that he'll play LT in the regular season, or even in the game for that matter. For all we know these depth charts were written by Jack Ramsey and Tim Kynard. I'm going to take ALE's advice and try not to read too much into this game, except as an opportunity to see some younger guys in action, which I'm excited for.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:30 AM   #12
FredrickFremont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thacher_H_Guild View Post
No surprise for the people who watched last year, but probably a surprise for all the folks who thought Zook was stupid for playing NS over O'Toole. (Unless they've concluded Beckman is stupid too, but probably too early for that.)
I watched last year and am a bit surprised by Beckman announcing this soon that a leader has emerged (and, for the record, I thought Zook was occasionally less than stellar in the smarts department for a multitude of reasons, but not necessarily this one).

My prediction is O'Toole outplays Nate in this game and the debate will begin in earnest.
FredrickFremont is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Groundhogday
Quote:
Guys can't play positions they haven't practiced. McDowell is at RT for the blue team and Heitz is at LT. Yes, this is a surprise. Per ALE, earlier in the spring the positions for these two guys were flipped. If there were two tackles available for a team, I would expect McDowell to be at LT and Heitz at RT.

I'm not saying this, or anything else is set in stone. Yes, they may have demoted a player or two for motivational purposes, but this still gives us some information on how kids are doing in practices with the new coaches.

Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:34 AM   #14
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
My prediction is O'Toole outplays Nate in this game and the debate will begin in earnest.
My prediction is that Scheelhaase will be a great QB in Beckman's system (he fits perfectly) and there won't be any debate about replacing Nate.

Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:44 AM   #15
quhawks12
Quote:
My prediction is that Scheelhaase will be a great QB in Beckman's system (he fits perfectly) and there won't be any debate about replacing Nate.
+1
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:49 AM   #16
FredrickFremont
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I like Nate a lot. Maybe his shoulder was hurting the second half last year, but his downfield throwing and accuracy seemed to drop off quite a bit. I'm aware of our OL and play-calling "issues", but he really seemed to drop off throwing the ball.

Yes, the spread should be exciting with someone who moves as well as Nate. But even he has said the passing concepts aren't all that different.
FredrickFremont is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:07 AM   #17
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Guys can't play positions they haven't practiced. McDowell is at RT for the blue team and Heitz is at LT. Yes, this is a surprise. Per ALE, earlier in the spring the positions for these two guys were flipped. If there were two tackles available for a team, I would expect McDowell to be at LT and Heitz at RT.

I'm not saying this, or anything else is set in stone. Yes, they may have demoted a player or two for motivational purposes, but this still gives us some information on how kids are doing in practices with the new coaches.
Sure, it's clear they're still figuring out things, that happens every spring so you have to take all reports with a grain of salt. Even more so with a new staff, much more likely to have "surprises" with new coaches and new systems getting put in place. Heck, last year we didn't have "LT" and "RT" at all.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredrickFremont View Post
Yes, the spread should be exciting with someone who moves as well as Nate. But even he has said the passing concepts aren't all that different.
I think Nate was being somewhat loose in his description of passing concepts being similar. Based upon what I saw with the Toledo offense, Scheelhaase will have a substantially different role this year. Look for a LOT of misdirection, fake handoffs, pump fakes, pitches, etc... Look for a lot of screen and swing passes designed to get fast/quick guys the ball in space. Scheelhaase will be perfect for this system whereas Petrino really had to adapt his preferred offense to Nate's skills.

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:36 PM   #19
DrewD007
I think Riley has a tough time since he's going against the better D line and has a weak O line.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Dan
Admin
Quote:
#illini Tim Beckman said he doesn't mind waiting until the Thursday before the first game to announce the starting QB, or any position.

Tim Beckman said Scheelhaase, O'Toole, Osei likely will all play; Osei might not be at QB.

http://twitter.com/WernerConnectFM
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:17 PM   #21
DrewD007
Well the draft video Dan posted in the other thread showed that they were drafting players and having them play out of position (ie: RT at LT)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #22
illiniobserver22
Quote:
Well the draft video Dan posted in the other thread showed that they were drafting players and having them play out of position (ie: RT at LT)
And the order they are listed in is the order they were drafted in, with the senior captains listed first at their spots.

For example, Josh Ferguson was picked #2 overall, but is behind Zach Becker on the depth chart since he was one of the team's captains.
illiniobserver22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:02 PM   #23
Groundhogday
Quote:
Beckman's concerns about squad depth are apparent, not only in his comments but with his actions.

With standout receiver Darius Millines sidelined and running back Donovonn Young engaged in only his first week of full contact, Beckman has talked of increasing the duties of senior cornerbacks Terry Hawthorne and Justin Green with receiving and ball-carrying chores, respectively. Miles Osei, a 200-pound quarterback, is rotating as a running back. Concerns at offensive tackle have raised questions whether veteran center Graham Pocic or star guard Hugh Thornton might be moved. Tight end is the deepest position, so look for Jon Davis and others to double up as slot receivers. And the defensive front four, where Beckman prefers a two-deep arrangement, is frightfully thin, particularly with pass-rushing Whitney Mercilus turning pro.

Tate

Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:39 AM   #24
AHSIllini32
Banned
Tate acts like Beckman is going to have to go through the playbook page by page for the B1G network people since they are televising the game and pretty much says keeping the practices private was a waste since the spring game will be televised.

I'm really looking forward to Jon Davis and LaCosse splitting out and running routes. I don't think LB's can keep up with them and CB's/S/nickel backs won't be big enough. Should be some great mismatches there.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:03 PM   #25
Charleston
Does anybody know what became of Russell Ellington? I don't think he was on the roster last season, but I saw his name on the roster earlier this year (which surprised me). I haven't seen anything else about him, though.
Charleston is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »