Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

All Time Love-to-Hate B1G Team

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
thenoodler
I've been thinking the last few days about the B1G players I've loved to hate during my time as an Illini fan. I'd love to get your thoughts, especially from some of the fans who go way back. Here are mine:

First Team

G Tom Coverdale IU
G Eric Gordon IU
F Dane Fife IU
F Sam Okey Wiconsin/Iowa
C Luka Mirkovic Northwestern

Coach: Bob Knight

Second Team

G Chris Kramer Purdue
G Evan Turner tOSU
F Greg Brunner Iowa
F Brian Cardinal Purdue
C Brent Petway Mich

Coach: Steve Alford

Some of these guys (Cardinal, Brunner) seemed like good guys, it was just annoying to watch them out-hustle the Illini. Others (Coverdale, Okey)...well I won't say what I think of them. Let's just say Coverdale would be the MVP of the Love to Hate team.

I would imagine if I were a fan of another team, Lucas Johnson might have made an appearance.

I've admired some players from other teams too. Always loved to watch guys like Bobby Jackson (Minn), Scoonie Penn and Ken Johnson (tOSU), Shannon Brown and Maurice Ager (MSU)

So, let's hear from you all. Who did you love to hate?

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
thenoodler
How could I forget Tim Doyle? He just might replace Evan Turner on the 2nd Team.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #3
scubadunk
Jess Settles from Iowa. Kid played like 8 years of college basketball. Luke Recker from Indiana and Iowa fame. John Shurna, Sean Higgens, Any of the Fab Five, Kirk Penney. There just are so many.
scubadunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
thenoodler
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadunk View Post
Jess Settles from Iowa. Kid played like 8 years of college basketball. Luke Recker from Indiana and Iowa fame. John Shurna, Sean Higgens, Any of the Fab Five, Kirk Penney. There just are so many.
Thought about including Luke Recker, but the competition was pretty tough.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
chiefini
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodler View Post
I've been thinking the last few days about the B1G players I've loved to hate during my time as an Illini fan. I'd love to get your thoughts, especially from some of the fans who go way back. Here are mine:

First Team

G Tom Coverdale IU
G Eric Gordon IU
F Dane Fife IU
F Sam Okey Wiconsin/Iowa
C Luka Mirkovic Northwestern

Coach: Bob Knight

Second Team

G Chris Kramer Purdue
G Evan Turner tOSU
F Greg Brunner Iowa
F Brian Cardinal Purdue
C Brent Petway Mich

Coach: Steve Alford

Some of these guys (Cardinal, Brunner) seemed like good guys, it was just annoying to watch them out-hustle the Illini. Others (Coverdale, Okey)...well I won't say what I think of them. Let's just say Coverdale would be the MVP of the Love to Hate team.

I would imagine if I were a fan of another team, Lucas Johnson might have made an appearance.

I've admired some players from other teams too. Always loved to watch guys like Bobby Jackson (Minn), Scoonie Penn and Ken Johnson (tOSU), Shannon Brown and Maurice Ager (MSU)

So, let's hear from you all. Who did you love to hate?
I'd have to have Chris Webber and Jalen Rose on the first team! OMG, I hate those cheaters

‎"There is an uncommon spirit known only by those who call themselves Illini...It is a dignified spirit portrayed by the Chief. It is a spirit of orange and blue blood and of the young and the old. Once it enters your veins, you will never be the same again." Illini Spirit William Branom, '54 (1932-2012)
chiefini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Illiniwek06
@scuba: +1 on those Iowa guys and Penney. Despised them.

@noodler: you covered the objects of my disdain with Coverdale, Fife, IDWTI. Also really disliked Kirk Haston, and Jared Jeffries to a lesser extent.
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Illiniwek06
Also, for whatever reason, I also disliked the Crispin brothers.
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Bluestreak
Assistant coach: Kelvin Sampson
Waterboy: Taylor Battle
Mascot: Bo Ryan
Cheerleader: Kelsey Barlow
Concessions: DeAndre Thomas
Bluestreak is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:18 AM   #9
illiniobserver22
My history doesn't go back as far as some of you, but in the last few years my most hated include Jon Diebler, BJ Mullens, Eric Gordon, Drew Neitzel, Keaton Grant.

Someone I liked when we weren't playing him but hated when we were was Talor Battle.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
scubadunk
Eric Hanson Iowa. Couldnt stand that kid. Can we put Nic Smith on their even though he was an Illini. Pierre Pierce, Shawn Respert, Calbert Chaney, Joel Pryzbilla, Kris Humphries, Blake Hoffbauer (spelling), Rashard Griffith (wasted talent) Gene Keady's hair.
scubadunk is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:28 AM   #11
jcgoldie
Jess Settles was the first guy that came to mind...

What a thug. And throw in Pierre Pierce... hell I guess you could make a case for about 60% of the people who ever played for Iowa...
jcgoldie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #12
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Scott Skiles, Kevin Boyle, Jacob Jaacks, Steve Alford.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:40 AM   #13
thenoodler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
@scuba: +1 on those Iowa guys and Penney. Despised them.

@noodler: you covered the objects of my disdain with Coverdale, Fife, IDWTI. Also really disliked Kirk Haston, and Jared Jeffries to a lesser extent.
I think the 2001-2002 Indiana had Coverdale, Fife, Jeffries, and Haston. Yikes! There's a whole lot to hate right there. Throw in that booger A.J. Moye as well. Gets my blood boiling just thinking about it.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:41 AM   #14
thenoodler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Wow. Had forgotten about Jaacks. He was easy to hate.

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:42 AM   #15
bleedsorangenblue
Gotta throw Steve Fisher in there as coach ..... always hated his smug attitude while at Michigan.
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:08 PM   #16
wileyl02
i think Tom Coverdale just says it all!!
wileyl02 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:27 PM   #17
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyl02 View Post
i think Tom Coverdale just says it all!!

Yep.

Coverdale is the MVP of this list.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:01 PM   #18
aluma
Who was the tool from Ohio State that made that last second shot against our 04-05 team that kept us from going undefeated? Matt Sylvester I think... He would win hands down for my vote.
aluma is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:09 PM   #19
ILL Thunder
Chris Kingsbury
Taylor Battle nice kid but he owned us!
Jacob Jaacks
Jess Settles
Chris Webber
ILL Thunder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:10 PM   #20
ILL Thunder
Oh yeah how could I forget Eric Gordon
ILL Thunder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:17 PM   #21
TCTORNADO
Without a doubt the darkest moment in B1G history was the Winfield, Taylor, & Behagen (Minny) attack on OSU's prone Luke Witte. I hope I never see another player stomp on a defenseless players head the way those thugs did. The year was 1972.
TCTORNADO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:25 PM   #22
brosox
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
Skiles would have to be the captain of an all-hate team. I would probably add Isaiah Thomas to that team, with that impish grin he always played with.
brosox is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:54 PM   #23
basementcheetos
First Team
G Drew Nietzel Michigan State
G Eric Gordon Indiana
F Alando Tucker Wisconsin
F Greg Brunner Iowa
C Marco Killingsworth Indiana

Coach Kelvin Sampson

2nd Team
G Devin Harris Wisconsin
G Kris Kramer Purdue
F Adam Haluska Iowa
F Marcus Landry Wisconsin
C Matt Kiefer Purdue

Coach Bo Ryan

Of special note would be great dislike for Nietzel. Tucker makes the list because it seems liked he played for 8 years at Wisconsin. Brunner was an unskilled oaf who killed us. Killingsworth was a thug. Gordon needs no explanation. On the second team Harris makes it because he always played well against us. Kramer was easy to dislike, unskilled offensivley but athletic/good defender whose teams beat us consitently. Haluska just irked me. Landry seemed to always have his best game of the year against us and always buried big threes. Kiefer was terrible, but somehow started for three years at Purdue.
basementcheetos is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:54 PM   #24
ctblaisdell83
scuba was first to "recognize" the Fab 5, and I concur - they mixed cheating with hotdogging, smack talk, and self-aggrandizement...and DIDN'T WIN.

IDKWTI and the Bad Chief (Sampson) a package deal...if the package is a steaming box of...

Sean Higgins for doing one very bad thing

Uwe Blab who was a turncoat

And props to TC for remembering the Minnesota thugs. Their Coach, Musselman, was one of the greatest losers and idiots to be involved in sports. The lowest of the lows was when Taylor of Minnesota (after already assaulting Witte) came over to help him up, extending a hand. While he was helping Witte up off the floor, Taylor kneed him in the groin. Brewer a few seconds later stomped on Witte's head. Dave Winfield and some fans tag-teamed an OSU sub in semi-consciousness.

My blood boils remembering this. There's a youtube vid and a story in SI.com's vault for anyone who wants to get agitated - they are among the first three hits in a google search of 1972 minnesota osu brawl
ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:04 PM   #25
FinalFour88
Evan Turner makes my first team all day, every day. Yet, I actually kind of like him now. Probably because of his kind words toward Groce.
FinalFour88 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »