Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > General Sports Talk

D-1 college teams other than the Illini you root for

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
IlliniFan1988
Banned
I am sure I am not alone in the fact I have another D-1 team I root for outside of . Who is your team? I am an Arkansas Razorbacks fan as well because I have family that lives down in Fort Smith. However, when the Hogs meet the Fighting Illini, it's all orange and blue .
IlliniFan1988 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:23 PM   #2
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Arizona State since I went there for grad school. After that I like when any Illinois teams do well aside from DePaul and except when they are playing

Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:40 PM   #3
illiniracers
Murray State Racers and ND in football (its a family thing)
illiniracers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:49 PM   #4
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Kansas State, i was converted by my great uncle back in 1997, his love for Bill Snyder influenced me...as well as his hatred for the Kansas Jayhawks.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:06 PM   #5
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by -josh- View Post
Kansas State, i was converted by my great uncle back in 1997, his love for Bill Snyder influenced me...as well as his hatred for the Kansas Jayhawks.
Ouch. Weber twice? That would be like having wandstadt (sp) coaching the Illini, at least for me. Unless you likes weber? In that case, great hire!
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Georgia Tech, as my daughter goes there, and Kansas, as my inlaws are alums and its easier to keep the peace that way. They are also rabid Illini fans, so it seems only fair. I will also always root for Steve Lavin teams unless they play Illinois.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:10 PM   #7
mdonsbach
Non-Conference any and all B1G teams.

After that...the underdog.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:13 PM   #8
orangeroses07
Southern Illinois, since I go to school there now. I have a few other schools that I don't mind rooting for. Ole Miss, Texas, Oregon...I'm full blooded orange and blue, trust me

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #9
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
Ouch. Weber twice? That would be like having wandstadt (sp) coaching the Illini, at least for me. Unless you likes weber? In that case, great hire!

No...I actually almost cried when he went to Kstate, it was a roller coaster of joy from being fired here...to absolute rage for Currie to hire him at Kstate... I can't even describe.

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:29 PM   #10
cmore
How is he doing over there? Do the fans like him. Cautious optimism? Or are they just waiting for the sucking to begin?
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
How is he doing over there? Do the fans like him. Cautious optimism? Or are they just waiting for the sucking to begin?

His plodding style of play is NOT a hit with fans (imagine that). Here's the thing though, Bill Snyder took their football program and turned it into a yearly competitor in conference, and Ron Prince almost ruined it again before Snyder came back out of retirement.

They see Bruce Weber as a Ron Prince type of coach, that he'll have SOME success with a team that should make the sweet 16 and then eventually sink the program like he did at Illinois. They want Weber and the Athletic Director Currie fired. He's not really being given a shot because they think if he couldn't succeed at a basketball school like Illinois then he doesn't have much of a chance at Kstate.

http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=25132.0

Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:55 PM   #12
KJKobs
Texas A&M football. When I was younger, my dad went to College Station for a work conference and brought me back a ton of Aggies gear. So while the popular thing is to root for the Longhorns, I've been always cheering on the Aggies. Gig 'Em!

Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:05 PM   #13
-josh-
Calm, Collected, German.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJKobs View Post
Texas A&M football. When I was younger, my dad went to College Station for a work conference and brought me back a ton of Aggies gear. So while the popular thing is to root for the Longhorns, I've been always cheering on the Aggies. Gig 'Em!

How about that Johnny football, i'm a fan of that kid even though i'm not a huge fan of A&M per se... Also what's this gig em about?

Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:02 PM   #14
OlivetNaz
Boise State first (yes, even above the Illini) because of some personal relationships out there...then Illinois (lived in state for 18 years, last 7 in Champaign), Maryland (spent part of my childhood there) and Oregon State (was 1 purchased car from going there - deal for the car fell through).

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Shief
BIG - Purdue (I'd go to grad school there if not Illinois, not when Illinois plays them)
Big12 - Texas
Pac 12 - Stanford, Colorado (grandma went there)
SEC - Florida (sister's best friend), Texas A&M (my girlfriend likes them)

Pick and choose from there

Will always hate
SEC - Mizzou (cousin went there), Alabama (Saban)
Shief is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:47 PM   #16
chief4life
Chief Supporter
As Robert from alioneye quoted, "We love NO OTHER."

Long live the Chief.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #17
Go Illini
In addition to the Illini, I root for the Cal Golden Bears. I used to work with a woman that went to undergrad there, and she was super cool. She also knew Chunk from the Goonies, so that always stuck out in my mind.
Go Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:40 PM   #18
U of I 89-05-10
I don't actively root for any other team, but I sort of like the following:

- Northern Illinois: Parents went to undergrad there
- Bradley: Dad got MBA from there, was born in Peoria
- Iowa: I go to school here
- Florida State: Fellow school honoring American Indian history
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:24 AM   #19
pizzaman
I'm a Badger fan unless they are playing the Illini. My favorite brother in law is a Washington Huskie alum so I'm happy for him if they do well but I don't really give them any love or attention.

After that I have a few teams I would like to struggle (ND, Kansas, Duke, N. Carolina) but no one I really hate or like.
pizzaman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #20
IlliniSaluki
SIUC & SIUE, St. Louis

I also follow Rutgers a bit since a few friends from H.S. went there. I guess they will now be my other B1G team except when they play the Illini of course. lol
IlliniSaluki is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:50 PM   #21
PVR
My best friend from law school (who I met during the Zook era, which we bonded over, ha) is a Florida Gator, so we always support each other's teams (though watching Beal in that orange and blue was painful).

I also have a soft spot for DePaul. I don't think they should ever pose a real threat to us in Chicago recruiting. There is more than enough talent to go around (with us getting the best of it and them getting the rest). I'd like to see them get back to being a consistently decent program.
PVR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:26 AM   #22
SteakSandwich
I've always liked Cal State Fullerton in baseball. Football it's all about the U it's about the U! I don't really follow them anymore but when i was kid i loved the Hurricanes. Basketball i have only had passion for one team and that's the Illini! All Hail The CHIEF!
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:16 AM   #23
NorthwesternIllini4
Banned
When it comes to basketball, it's O&B 100% OurStateOurTeam

When it comes to football, I don't follow that closely but I've always had a soft spot for West Coast teams (probably since I always wanted to live out there). So Oregon, USC, and Cal are teams I don't mind seeing do well. Also University of Miami, though they've kinda fallen off recently
NorthwesternIllini4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:34 AM   #24
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
I root for no one but Illinois.

I follow University of Cincinnati, only because they are the local team for me. Occasionally I listen to the UK basketball games because that's what's on the radio for college basketball.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:54 PM   #25
wpr
B1G especially when they play ACC in bb or SEC in fb.
NIU grad.
Other IL teams like SIU and IL State. Always wish their programs were a little stronger. UIC my son grad from there.
Always liked Bradley since I grew up in the region.

Outside of the state- I have no deep loyalties. I take it game by game and see. EX: I loved Lou Holtz for taking Arkansas to the 1978 Orange Bowl to face #1 OK. He lost his All American guard, suspended 3 offensive starters just days before the game. They were given no chance whatsoever to win and yet put a beat down on Barry Switzer's team.

« Previous Thread | General Sports Chat | Next Thread »