Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois vs Eastern Kentucky, Sunday, December 16th, 5:00pm CT, ESPNU

Closed Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:51 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 12: Illinois (11-0) vs Eastern Kentucky (9-0)

Sunday, December 16th

The Assembly Hall

Time: 5:00pm CT

TV: ESPNU

Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
trevdv
I really don't know what to make of this game. EKU is undefeated, but who have they played? We're undefeated, but are we going to struggle like we did Tuesday? This will be a game where we see what both teams are made of. Can we respond and come back with a strong win? Or will we see truly how good EKU is? I'm really not sure.

EKU - 72
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:27 AM   #3
PointGuardU01
I predict 2 things in this game.

1. An Illini win
2. A very quiet crowd
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Illinimedic
Was at the game last night and ya, it was quiet. The orange krush definitely isn't what it used to be. Most of the students just stand there with their arms cross. Pretty disappointing bc they used to be pretty legit.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:13 AM   #5
anonymousalcoholic
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
I really don't know what to make of this game. EKU is undefeated, but who have they played? We're undefeated, but are we going to struggle like we did Tuesday? This will be a game where we see what both teams are made of. Can we respond and come back with a strong win? Or will we see truly how good EKU is? I'm really not sure.

EKU - 72
i thought someone said in the postgame thread that eku beat norfolk state by 24, so. . .

still, i hope, *hope* this is where illinois puts away an inferior team. it does not have to be by 30 pts, as eku seems somewhat legit, but a 12- to 15-point win where the game is never really in doubt would be a nice start.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
combes
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousalcoholic View Post
i thought someone said in the postgame thread that eku beat norfolk state by 24, so. . .

still, i hope, *hope* this is where illinois puts away an inferior team. it does not have to be by 30 pts, as eku seems somewhat legit, but a 12- to 15-point win where the game is never really in doubt would be a nice start.
Hard to compare scores. Norfolk had some injuries and has gotten one of its best players back since the EKU game. EKU also only beat Western Carolina by 2.

If we play well, we will have a solid victory. If we come out flat and struggle with our shooting, it will be a nailbiter again.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7
hooraybeer
i will be there ! hoping to see an exciting, fast-paced game ala Maui Invite. let's get back to that.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:37 AM   #8
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Well all of the Krush haters should be happy. We have been banished to the territory known as "break games", so you won't have to see us till the end of January. Now those loud and crazy normal fans that fill A and B section can sit in the Orange Krush section instead. Phewwwwwww.

I am legit worried about this game. Illinois has started doing Saturday finals now, and almost everyone I know has one, so probably a lot of the guys on the team have them too, if not Friday or Monday as well. No student section will equal even more of a dead environment. EKU shoots lights out it seems and seemed to be able to handle Norfolk St. I could see a loss here.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
RyanK
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
Well all of the Krush haters should be happy. We have been banished to the territory known as "break games", so you won't have to see us till the end of January. Now those loud and crazy normal fans that fill A and B section can sit in the Orange Krush section instead. Phewwwwwww.

I am legit worried about this game. Illinois has started doing Saturday finals now, and almost everyone I know has one, so probably a lot of the guys on the team have them too, if not Friday or Monday as well. No student section will equal even more of a dead environment. EKU shoots lights out it seems and seemed to be able to handle Norfolk St. I could see a loss here.
Finals week has seemed to always bring teams problems. I am impressed (and amazed) at how these kids balance finals week and playing basketball.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:45 AM   #10
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
One personal request - please come to the game, be loud, and relax! Last night I didn't have a voice so I sat up in B section with my folks. About 3.5 times during the game, we went on a 5 point run, and the hall got nice and loud. Then Norfolk State would hit a three and it was just pitch quiet and tense throughout the whole building.

What this team needs is not a home arena full of 12,000 coaches, intently watching the game and figuring out how we can play better. I know it happens because I'm guilty of doing exactly that sometimes, but analysis and armchair coaching are what this forum are for. There's one guy that gets paid the big bucks to coach the team, and that's John Groce. We've got an 11-0 team that's #10 in the nation. We want a team that plays fearless, loose, and energized? Let's be fearless, loose, and energized as fans, too.

I heard some blame flying around from the crowd towards the team at the game last night, and I've seen a lot from fans to other fans here. It's not our job as fans to coach the team or make halftime adjustments, it's our job to provide support and energy. Let's buy in to Coach Groce's "no excuses" mentality and do our job from here on out! With finals, everything until the Northwestern game is a "break game" for Orange Krush, so it's doubly important to me to put this message out there, we need a Hall-wide effort to be the crowd this unbeaten team deserves.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #11
dgcrow
The Illini dropped from 19th to 21st in the latest Sagarin ratings, undefeated Eastern Kentucky, surprisingly, rated only 171st. Tough game, but the Illini prevail by 10 points.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Umit9
Quote:

In previous seasons, during the break, the Krush would still have some members attending the games correct? Is this year going to be different?

Also, usually the Krush has some attendance at the United Center game. Will that be the case this year? Braggin' Rights?

Go Illini
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:56 AM   #13
danielb927
Orange Krush Class of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umit9 View Post
In previous seasons, during the break, the Krush would still have some members attending the games correct? Is this year going to be different?

Also, usually the Krush has some attendance at the United Center game. Will that be the case this year?

Go Illini
Same as in previous years. Krush members can purchase tickets to the break games, usually behind the baskets but not along the sidelines. We also have the opportunity to buy tickets to Mizzou and the United Center game, so there will be a Krush presence at both!

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 AM   #14
TyinLex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcrow View Post
The Illini dropped from 19th to 21st in the latest Sagarin ratings, undefeated Eastern Kentucky, surprisingly, rated only 171st. Tough game, but the Illini prevail by 10 points.
Those ratings do not reflect the Norkfolk St. game, fyi

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:59 AM   #15
Umit9
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
Same as in previous years. Krush members can purchase tickets to the break games, usually behind the baskets but not along the sidelines. We also have the opportunity to buy tickets to Mizzou and the United Center game, so there will be a Krush presence at both!
Great, you had me worried for a moment. We need you guys too. I try at each game I am at.

Go Illini
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
dgcrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyinLex View Post
Those ratings do not reflect the Norkfolk St. game, fyi
Yes, they do. They are updated daily, and the intro says the latest ratings are effective "through results of 2012 December 11 Tuesday". That's why the Illini dropped two places.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Redbirds33333
ILL - 74
EKU - 68
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:40 PM   #18
britt31
Does anyone know what our 3 point shooting % is @ home versus away? It just seems our home games lead to abysmal shooting while on the road/neutral we shoot much better.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:43 PM   #19
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by britt31 View Post
Does anyone know what our 3 point shooting % is @ home versus away? It just seems our home games lead to abysmal shooting while on the road/neutral we shoot much better.
40.3 on the road, 38.9 at home. Of course, going 14-28 against Georgia Tech helped the home % quite a bit.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:05 PM   #20
joekam
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb927 View Post
What this team needs is not a home arena full of 12,000 coaches, intently watching the game and figuring out how we can play better. I know it happens because I'm guilty of doing exactly that sometimes, but analysis and armchair coaching are what this forum are for. There's one guy that gets paid the big bucks to coach the team, and that's John Groce. We've got an 11-0 team that's #10 in the nation. We want a team that plays fearless, loose, and energized? Let's be fearless, loose, and energized as fans, too.

I heard some blame flying around from the crowd towards the team at the game last night, and I've seen a lot from fans to other fans here. It's not our job as fans to coach the team or make halftime adjustments, it's our job to provide support and energy. Let's buy in to Coach Groce's "no excuses" mentality and do our job from here on out! With finals, everything until the Northwestern game is a "break game" for Orange Krush, so it's doubly important to me to put this message out there, we need a Hall-wide effort to be the crowd this unbeaten team deserves.
Good post daniel. "Fan coach" is a part of me that is hard to keep quiet, but I agree that the mindset of the crowd can affect the result on the court. I know this gets into the whole arguement of "I paid for my ticket, I expect a quality product, I can boo if I want to" mentality, but its not helpful. Part of the reason why I think the Cubs collapsed in the NLCS in 2003.

I liked the Home Alone large head cut out behind the basket. Keep that up. Perfect for the holiday season.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:06 PM   #21
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umit9 View Post
Great, you had me worried for a moment. We need you guys too. I try at each game I am at.

Go Illini
Well they can buy tickets, but it isn't Orange Krush technically. We just have a better chance of getting those seats than others. If I remember correctly, OSU had a big mix of regular people and students.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:09 PM   #22
Future Walk-On
EKU 79
ILL 75
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:11 PM   #23
Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
40.3 on the road, 38.9 at home. Of course, going 14-28 against Georgia Tech helped the home % quite a bit.
It's our overall shooting that is really been bad at home - 42.2% at home and 48.5% on the road. Maybe it has something to do with smaller venues since all our away games have been in cozier confines. We have shot 48% or better in all but one away game, but 40% or less in three of our home games and never once 50% or better in a home game (best was 49% in our second home game). Not giving ourselves a very good home court advantage.

Obviously that all changes with the Braggin' Rights game and then the UC game and then on to the Big Ten, so hopefully that stat really doesn't mean anything in that regard and is just how things have fallen thusfar.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:08 PM   #24
Moneybreaks
http://www.ekusports.com/documents/2...ts.pdf?id=4221

I was surprised to see that they are so guard heavy. Two 6'8" guys and two 6'7" guys is where they top out. I suspect a lot of quick, athletic guards which could give our guys some fits. We should have an edge in rebounding though. Also noticed that their first seven games were played at home, and the last 2 were on the road but much closer than their previous wins. I expect a similar group to the Norfolk State group we saw last night, although perhaps better shooters. We need to feed the ball to our bigs and bang with em, along with getting the shooting touch back from the outside.

IL - 74
EK - 65
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Umit9
Quote:
Well they can buy tickets, but it isn't Orange Krush technically. We just have a better chance of getting those seats than others. If I remember correctly, OSU had a big mix of regular people and students.
So as a former student, would I have access to those tickets somehow?

Go Illini
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »