Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Mason Monheim named Freshmen All-American

Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:35 PM   #1
DrewD007
Quote:
After leading all Big Ten freshmen in tackles during his freshman season, University of Illinois linebacker Mason Monheim (Orrville HS, Orrville, Ohio) has been named to Phil Steele's second-team all-freshman team.

Monheim started the final 10 games of the season after moving into a starting role in a week three win over Charleston Southern. The true-freshman led Illinois with 86 tackles on the season, the most among all Big Ten Freshmen by a wide margin. Monheim ranked 15th in the conference in tackles per game (7.2), while no other B1G freshman was in the top-50. He also added 6.0 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, one interception, one pass breakup and recovered one fumble during his rookie campaign. In eight Big Ten games, Monheim averaged 8.6 tackles per game to rank ninth overall.

FightingIllini.com
Congrats Mason!
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:39 PM   #2
AHSIllini32
Banned
15th in the conference overall in tackles/game is very nice.

Very well done. Think we got ourselves a good one here. Perhaps the next J Leman? No pressure kid
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
ctblaisdell83
awesome news. well deserved

ctblaisdell83 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
15th in the conference overall in tackles/game is very nice.

Very well done. Think we got ourselves a good one here. Perhaps the next J Leman? No pressure kid
Monheim is more athletic than Leman, and a better player than Leman as a freshman. He has great instincts at LB. Now let's see how he develops over the next three years. I admit to being skeptical when he was recruited last year. Sometimes guys recruited primarily by mid-majors can really play. Kudos to Monheim.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:36 PM   #5
jackman404
Banned
Congratulations Mason! If Brown can stay healthy next season, we might have a decent defense with these two playing.
jackman404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Juice
Awesome news, well deserved. We've got ourselves a player in Monheim can't wait to watch him progress.
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
That's great news. Out of curiousity, was Monheim a Zook or Beckman recruit?
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:09 PM   #8
ncoillini
After watching his HS highlite video, I knew M&M was going to be a great player. I just didn't know it would be his frosh year. I still wonder how he didn't get an osu offer. Congrats kid, keep it up!
ncoillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
That's great news. Out of curiousity, was Monheim a Zook or Beckman recruit?
Beckman
Juice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:18 PM   #10
GilThorpe
Beckman had recruited him fairly hard for Toledo, and he was one of the 4-5 or so that probably would have signed with Toledo had TB stayed there. I know Monnheim had a ton of MAC offers, not sure that he had any other B1G offers. For a kid from northern Ohio, if tO$U , Michigan ,PSU , or MSU dont offer you, Illinois, Indiana or Purdue look real good if you are looking for a good big time school where Mom & Dad can see you play leaving the house at 6 am on Sat..
GilThorpe is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Groundhogday
I'm guessing there were a number of factors working against Monheim that caused the big guys to overlook him: (1) played in Div. IV, smaller schools; (b) slightly undersized; and (c) not a spectacular athlete. But in the end, their loss is our gain.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:25 PM   #12
AHSIllini32
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
I'm guessing there were a number of factors working against Monheim that caused the big guys to overlook him: (1) played in Div. IV, smaller schools; (b) slightly undersized; and (c) not a spectacular athlete. But in the end, their loss is our gain.
Indeed it is and these are the kind of guys that we are going to have to trust Beckman and co. will be able to identify to help move us up to the middle tier of B1G schools consistently.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Groundhogday
This award prompted me to look at Svetina, another "mid major" guy. Mike led his team to the D1 (biggest schools) state championship, was D1 co-defensive player of the year for Ohio, and player of the year for the Cleveland area. Svetina was a terrific high school LB. Again, I can only assume that he didn't have the ideal size/speed that the high majors want, but it isn't as if he is slow or small.

Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:48 PM   #14
OlivetNaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Sometimes guys recruited primarily by mid-majors can really play. Kudos to Monheim.
Boise State and TCU have made their livings the past 15 years on kids EXACTLY like Monheim - comes from a smaller school, slightly undersized, and underrated...but full of heart and knows how to play the game.

"If life were logical, men would ride side-saddle."
OlivetNaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:40 PM   #15
Illini87InClt
It's nice that Monheim received recognition for a nice freshman season. This is well-deserved recognition and hopefully Monheim can build on his initial success over his next three seasons.
Illini87InClt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:50 AM   #16
SteakSandwich
Great news for Mason hopefully he can stay healthy and have a great Illini career!
SteakSandwich is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:41 AM   #17
illinijan
He was one of very few bright spots on defense this year. Hopefully Jonathon Brown can join him next year in a strong LB unit.
illinijan is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »