12/19 News & Notes

Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Braggin' Rights coaches tell their story

BILL SELF (Braggin' Rights record 3-0)

What is your favorite memory from the Border War? "Winning all three games."

What's the one thing people don't realize about the game that you experienced as a coach? "I'm not sure there was any one thing that I learned as a coach. The fans taught me a lot about the game in that I always disliked Missouri and it was easy for me to make it the most important nonconference game on our schedule. The way it is split 50-50, like the OU-Texas football-type setting, it was an atmosphere that was probably better than any NCAA tournament because everybody in the building had a vested interest."

Asmussen
Quote:
Paul doing everything for Illini

Paul credits much of his basketball success to his mother, Lynda, who played at Ball State and coached her son at the AAU level for years. His brother, Darius, is a freshman at Western Michigan and also played for their mother with the HoopStars program.

"She has a tremendous passion for the game," Brandon said. "There's no doubt she's my biggest fan. She told me she knew I could score at a young age but told me to value defense as much as offense and helped me to be a better defender."

Durando
Quote:
Groce gives green light

After the 66-53 victory over Eastern Kentucky on Sunday, Groce looked at the latest 6-for-23 3-point totals and just shrugged.

"We didn't make as many of the 3s as we'd like," he said. "I thought we got some pretty good looks, but we just didn't make them. There will be games like that. That's when you have to rely on your defense."

Tupper
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Holdemall
Quote:
His brother, Darius, is a freshman at Western Michigan and also played for their mother with the HoopStars program.
And appears to be a capital-p Player. Averaging 11 and 7 with an A/T over 1.
Holdemall is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:50 AM   #3
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
Quote:
"We didn't make as many of the 3s as we'd like," he said. "I thought we got some pretty good looks, but we just didn't make them. There will be games like that. That's when you have to rely on your defense."
I love John Groce.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Illiniwek06
Quote:
USC has been a disappointment thus far with a 4-6 record. But four of the Trojans' defeats have been to Top 25 teams Illinois, Minnesota, San Diego State and New Mexico.
"The best team we've played is Minnesota," USC coach Kevin O'Neill said by phone Tuesday. "They had depth, size and athleticism -- and they're well-coached. I just didn't see a lot of weaknesses."
Quote:
Missouri 69, vs. Illinois 67: The Illini's magic has to end -- or at least hit a snag -- at some point. Doesn't it?
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball
Illiniwek06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiniwek06 View Post
Minnesota only beat USC by 14 I believe. We were up on them by almost 30 at the half lol.
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:44 PM   #6
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Minnesota only beat USC by 14 I believe. We were up on them by almost 30 at the half lol.
Maybe KO is still sore at us for beating the purple kitties brains in from his time in Evanston 1997-2000

Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7
OrangeKrushCheerMaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
Maybe KO is still sore at us for beating the purple kitties brains in from his time in Evanston 1997-2000
Nah, he is still sore from the sinking realization that he can't coach a college basketball team :laugh:

OrangeKrushCheerMaster is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
pckldr
Well, Minny's ft defense was much better than ours.

And remember, don't sleep on DePaul. :rolleyes:
pckldr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Janice
Quote:
I attended the Minnesota/Florida State Game, and Minny has a good team! Their guards were tremendous.
Janice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Tron2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckldr View Post
Well, Minny's ft defense was much better than ours.

And remember, don't sleep on DePaul. :rolleyes:

What he meant to say was "Dont sleep on B.Paul". A typo Im sure.
Tron2010 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:43 PM   #11
Calvin
FWLIW, Sagarin has Minny 8th in the nation. They were beat pretty badly by Duke, but that's their only loss.
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:46 PM   #12
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
FWLIW, Sagarin has Minny 8th in the nation. They were beat pretty badly by Duke, but that's their only loss.
When I've watch them, they've looked very good. Not a team to look past, no matter who you are.
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:34 PM   #13
illinicardinalfan2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
When I've watch them, they've looked very good. Not a team to look past, no matter who you are.
I agree. Well have to shoot well from deep to beat them. Tubby has a solid team up there in Minnesota.
illinicardinalfan2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #14
zoggle101
Mbakwe still isn't starting but can that last the whole year? He's playing at a pretty high level, has been great about coming off the bench and has accepted his punishment in a positive way after getting arrested over the summer.

A few people new the Golden Gophers were going to be legitimate with or without Mbawke.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forum...ight=Minnesota

Quote:
Dayton, I really liked Minnesota's freshman class and I think two were redshirts. A healthy and I mean 100% Mbakwe could make them a scary top 15 team all year. Even without a healthy Mbakwe they'll be top 25 solid with the team Tubby has assembled. Guys like Elliot Eliason, Andre Ingram and Oto Osenieks(I was more than impressed with the trio last year) should catch some people eyes as capable bigs if Mbakwe isn't healthy plus a healthy Mo Walker boosts their depth in the front court. The have a plethora of guards in both Hollins(not related), Joe Coleman(impressive freshman), Julian Welch(best player at times last year), plus a four year veteran in Maverick Ahanimisi. These guys are interchangable but big minutes are going to be hard to distribute. Most likely to leave is Ahanimisi but there have been rumbling that Joe Coleman or Julian Welch weren't happy with their minutes last year. Oh, I didn't mention a dynamic 3/4 in Rodney Williams. If he tightens his handles, and improves his consisntency in his jumper he'll be a Wooden finalist.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice View Post
I attended the Minnesota/Florida State Game, and Minny has a good team! Their guards were tremendous.
Oh no I agree Minny is good. Maybe better than we are, but I give the edge to us at home against them here in the next couple weeks. I was just saying we had a better game against USC than they did, so it was interesting to see their coach say that.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
mattcoldagelli
Minnesota might be our worst matchup in the entire conference.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Dan
Admin
Quote:
The @IlliniHoops rebounders club kids clinic is crazy. Great to see the players interact with the little kids. http://pic.twitter.com/0ELXoTVJ

http://twitter.com/coryhat
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:40 PM   #18
lstewart53x3
My aunt is in Rebounders Club, so I was actually able to go to this when Dee and Deron were playing for Illinois. Had Dee sign a head band and the rest of the Championship team sign a basketball.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:53 AM   #19
justsomedude
Quote:
Oh no I agree Minny is good. Maybe better than we are, but I give the edge to us at home against them here in the next couple weeks. I was just saying we had a better game against USC than they did, so it was interesting to see their coach say that.
I suspect he feels USC played better in that game, and they were at home, and still got beat by double digits.

Our game may be one he just wanted out of his memory.
justsomedude is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:02 AM   #20
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I suspect he feels USC played better in that game, and they were at home, and still got beat by double digits.

Our game may be one he just wanted out of his memory.
I was thinking the same thing. I know if I were him, I probably would've blacked out 6 minutes into our game.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »