Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

2013 All-Star Games

Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:07 AM   #1
quhawks12
Quote:
Illinois Football ‏@IlliniFootball
#Illini @Shrine_Game update: DB Terry Hawthorne is been added to West roster. C Graham Pocic will miss game due to injury. #shrinegame2013
Quote:
#Illini DB Justin Green (@JGREEN_26) will be playing in the Raycom All-Star Classic @theallstargame on Jan. 19 in Montgomery, Ala.
Pocic missing because of injury makes me wonder how hurt he was all season?
quhawks12 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
quhawks12
Quote:
#Illini in All-Star games - Buchanan & Thornton in @seniorbowl (1/26), Hawthorne in @Shrine_Game (1/19) & Green in @theallstargame (1/19)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
quhawks12
Quote:
NFL Draft Bible ‏@NFLDraftBible
Glenville State via Illinois OL MARK JACKSON is a mountain of a man at 6'5 1/2 and 341 pounds. He could help draft stock this week at EWS.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Lake Camelot
East West Shrine Game practices-Players that struggled

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...Practices.html

Quote:
4. Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois (6000, 194 and 4.45): Despite looking like an NFL CB “on the hoof” and displaying smooth athleticism throughout practice, Hawthorne did not have a solid practice this afternoon. He struggled to break and close on passes and did not display the quick twitch explosiveness to close fast on passes. For a player with legitimate NFL starter talent he did not play up to that level today.

Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Groundhogday
Count me as not surprised. I've said for some time now that for all of his physical attributes and hype coming out of high school, Hawthorne doesn't have particularly good instincts or quickness at CB. That is why I thought he might end up at safety.

Old Jan 18, 2013, 06:28 PM   #6
STLINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogday View Post
Count me as not surprised. I've said for some time now that for all of his physical attributes and hype coming out of high school, Hawthorne doesn't have particularly good instincts or quickness at CB. That is why I thought he might end up at safety.
For a guy as athletic as Hawthorne, I was always suprised at how stiff he looked coming in and out of breaks and changing direction. He wasn't afraid to throw his body around, so you may be right that FS may not be a bad spot for him.
STLINI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLINI View Post
For a guy as athletic as Hawthorne, I was always suprised at how stiff he looked coming in and out of breaks and changing direction. He wasn't afraid to throw his body around, so you may be right that FS may not be a bad spot for him.
Koenning pointed out early on that Hawthorne was a long-strider. He is a very fluid athlete and can run as fast as almost anyone, but doesn't have elite quickness and explosiveness.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:49 AM   #8
I Hate Lemonier
Hawthorne with nice game

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/west-ri...92--ncaaf.html
I Hate Lemonier is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:31 AM   #9
BZuppke
His coach (Bennett) is high on him and with this performance he may be as high as a second rounder (probably 3rd). Great for Terry.
BZuppke is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZuppke View Post
His coach (Bennett) is high on him and with this performance he may be as high as a second rounder (probably 3rd). Great for Terry.
I agree. He could make an excellent safety in the NFL.

Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:56 PM   #11
RHITIllini
Terry was a baller at FS in high school. Probably was a corner out of necessity at Illinois.
RHITIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #12
quhawks12
Quote:
Rick Pizzo ‏@BTNRickPizzo
#Illini DL Michael Buchanan will move up draft boards if he can keep speed w/some xtra lbs(252 now).Maybe most athletic DL here.#seniorbowl
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
CUWPC
Nice! Well if a few players get drafted this year it will give Beckman some fuel for recruiting. The Illini have definitely put some people into the NFL over the last few years.
CUWPC is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Groundhogday
Will Buchanan put on the extra muscle? He might not have the genetics to do it.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:09 AM   #15
SCillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUWPC View Post
Nice! Well if a few players get drafted this year it will give Beckman some fuel for recruiting. The Illini have definitely put some people into the NFL over the last few years.
Any player being drafted this year will have little impact on recruiting now. These guys played only one year under Beckman and none improved much if any. If anything, this just highlights, despite lack of depth, how little the current staff got out of some talented players. Hawthorne, Buchanon, Spence, Pocic, and Thorton will be drafted. Green and Foster will get camp invites. That's five guys likely being drafted, and we still went 2-10 and were rarely close in our games. It's still good to see or hear Illinois listed as a starting players college when it's shown/said to start an NFL game.
SCillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:17 AM   #16
SCillini
Quote:
Will Buchanan put on the extra muscle? He might not have the genetics to do it.
I would think he could put on 15lbs and still keep the same speed. The way many defenses drop their ends into coverage, I can see him being athletic and strong enough to rush the passer, hold up against the run, and drop into coverage. It's possible he could also play OLB in a 3-4.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:28 AM   #17
quhawks12
Quote:
Thomas Melton ‏@TMeltonScouting
I really like Thornton. I'm going to have to go back and watch him a lot, he was one of my favorites today #Illinois #seniorbowl
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Groundhogday
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCillini View Post
I would think he could put on 15lbs and still keep the same speed. The way many defenses drop their ends into coverage, I can see him being athletic and strong enough to rush the passer, hold up against the run, and drop into coverage. It's possible he could also play OLB in a 3-4.
Buchanan got stronger at Illinois, and is very strong for his size, but just didn't seem to have the ability to put on weight. That said, another 10 lbs or so is certainly possible.

It will be interesting to see where he plays in the NFL. I see him as much better as a DE in a 4-3 scheme than OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:58 AM   #19
SCillini
Quote:
Buchanan got stronger at Illinois, and is very strong for his size, but just didn't seem to have the ability to put on weight. That said, another 10 lbs or so is certainly possible.

It will be interesting to see where he plays in the NFL. I see him as much better as a DE in a 4-3 scheme than OLB in a 3-4 scheme.
I think he would probably be better in a 4-3, too, but his athleticism makes him versatile enough for either. I thought Mercilus would also be a 4-3 DE, but he played fairly well in a 3-4.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Groundhogday
Quote:
I think he would probably be better in a 4-3, too, but his athleticism makes him versatile enough for either. I thought Mercilus would also be a 4-3 DE, but he played fairly well in a 3-4.
True. And Buchanan is more athletic and better in space than Mercilus.

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:45 PM   #21
quhawks12
Buchanan reminds me of Richard Seymour. Obviously with a lot less weight right now. But just overall build (Seymour was tall and had that long neck) and playing style.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 AM   #22
quhawks12
Quote:
#Illini Michael Buchanan really struggling against run at current size.May not like comparison,but I see a lot of Aaron Maybin. #seniorbowl
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:59 AM   #23
PaytonHighstep
Quote:
Any player being drafted this year will have little impact on recruiting now. These guys played only one year under Beckman and none improved much if any. If anything, this just highlights, despite lack of depth, how little the current staff got out of some talented players. Hawthorne, Buchanon, Spence, Pocic, and Thorton will be drafted. Green and Foster will get camp invites. That's five guys likely being drafted, and we still went 2-10 and were rarely close in our games. It's still good to see or hear Illinois listed as a starting players college when it's shown/said to start an NFL game.
I felt this way about Zook and his staff as well. They did get to 2 straight bowl games, but lower level bowls that didn't exist 15 years ago. Who knows, but the fact that the Illini could use a very good coach that surrounds himself with recruiters is still needed.

I am of the thought that the jury is still out with Beckman, but last season gets duplicated into the next 2 seasons.... I won't be thinking the same way.
PaytonHighstep is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:51 AM   #24
quhawks12
Quote:
First head to head battle between two guys having gr8 weeks at #seniorbowl as #Illini Hugh Thornton locks up #Purdue Kawaan Short. Gr8 stuff
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:17 AM   #25
Calilama
Banned
Not saying this is dispositive but there is an article in the Sun-Times this am about Michael Buchanan.....makes an eye popping move at the Senior Bowl that catches the eyes of scouts...last year projected as a first rounder...7 1/2 sacks, 13/1/2 TFL...this year 4 1/2 sacks and 7 TFL......the kid is 6'5, 252....can carry 265......scouts think he can play but is inconsistent.....

I think it might have more to do with the defensive scheme he was in under Banks and how Gilmore had to coach it....

Might be a reach.....but willing to bet that his performance at the Senior Bowl will prove out that his earlier numbers were no fluke...anyhow, any Illini who gets to the NFL is a great thing and can only help recruiting....good luck to Thorton and Pocic as well!!!!
Calilama is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »