Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

News & Notes - January 25th

Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Conference Power Rankings: Big Ten

10. Illinois. Illinois has a major opportunity on its hands Sunday. After getting at least somewhat right at Nebraska Tuesday night (Illinois won 71-51, but still shot just 32 percent from 3), the Illini now set their sights on a home game against Michigan Sunday afternoon. Michigan allows opponents to shoot 31.9 percent from 3 thus far this season, so it's at least conceivable that Illinois can break out of the month-long shooting slump that has chased it down to a 2-4 start in league play. Of course, the Illini also will have to, you know, stop Michigan. That's another story entirely.

Eamonn Brennan
Quote:
Sean Harrington: How to beat Michigan

Keys to scoring on Michigan

The Wolverines are mainly a man-to-man team, but they will play some zone from time to time. Michigan will get out and pressure the ball, but it likes to stay packed inside the arc. Look for Michigan to switch 1 through 4 on ball screens. Michigan is solid defensively, but it will get lost on switches at times and will have mismatches when Burke switches onto a 4 man.

It is very important to have great spacing on the court. Michigan can be taken off the dribble when there are driving lanes created by good spacing. It also will be very important to move the basketball from side to side. Michigan's defense is very good on the first side of the court, but it will have breakdowns with ball movement.

http://www.illinihq.com/sports/illin...-michigan.html
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #2
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Michigan allows opponents to shoot 31.9 percent from 3 thus far this season, so it's at least conceivable that Illinois can break out of the month-long shooting slump that has chased it down to a 2-4 start in league play.
Hey Eamonn, you realize that 31.9 percent means scUM is GOOD at defending the 3 point shot, right? They are in the upper 1/3 of all teams in that stat, dingus.
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:11 PM   #3
uofiguy
If I were John Groce, I would print out 100 copies of those power rankings, circle "10. Illinois" in some florescent marker, and put them up all over the place for the players to see. Being considered just one above Penn St./Nebraska in the BT is downright embarrassing. The worst part is, given that this piece is about inter-conference rankings, it is hard to argue with right now.
uofiguy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:16 PM   #4
BlockI
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofiguy View Post
If I were John Groce, I would print out 100 copies of those power rankings, circle "10. Illinois" in some florescent marker, and put them up all over the place for the players to see. Being considered just one above Penn St./Nebraska in the BT is downright embarrassing. The worst part is, given that this piece is about inter-conference rankings, it is hard to argue with right now.
Ya that would really boost the confidence! :rolleyes:
BlockI is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Decatur8r
It is Still simple. It isn't rebounding it is how well do they shoot. If it is at 50% they will win. Simple.
Decatur8r is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 PM   #6
U of I 89-05-10
A win is huge. Pull this one off and, dare I say, we're back to where we were before the NU loss: Tournament is the expectation. Let's get a W, boys.
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
bootsy
I honestly can't stand this Eamonn idiot. He couldn't wait to move Illinois as far down as he could and IU who is so freaking overrated and looks like a team that if it faces a good athletic team who plays some defense they will lose big at number 2. 'Oh look IU beat Penn St. and Northwestern back up to number two you go'. What a joke. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see IU lose their first game if they aren't careful. I was never impressed with IU the way the media, 'experts' and some on here were. I thought they tricked everyone based off of the Kentucky win from last year into a number 1 preseason ranking when in reality they were a 5th place B1G team who lost to Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska last year.

Last edited by bootsy; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
bootsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:51 PM   #8
zoggle101
Eamonn knows his college ball, and he routinely writes things that I also see before a lot of the other analyst. I think he likes aggravating Illini fans and does a good job of it. It bothered me being 10th in the power rankings, but at this moment its the situation the team put itself in. I'll say this, we're the only team as low as 10th in the league power rankings who can jump into the top 25 after this weekend.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:13 PM   #9
bootsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Eamonn knows his college ball, and he routinely writes things that I also see before a lot of the other analyst. I think he likes aggravating Illini fans and does a good job of it. It bothered me being 10th in the power rankings, but at this moment its the situation the team put itself in. I'll say this, we're the only team as low as 10th in the league power rankings who can jump into the top 25 after this weekend.
Haven't seen any evidence of this.
bootsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
Foo G
Can bring the ball up
Quote:
Originally Posted by uofiguy View Post
If guys aren't motivated to take it at the #2 team in the country (and possibly the best team in college basketball this season) on their home court, then there's no way for these guys to get motivated.
That article should not have any bearing on how they play, whether the read it and are aware of it or not.

"I understand there was an article written about Illinois basketball being put in its place. I'm gonna tell you what place it's in; it's in a great place. That's what place it's in." - Chief John Groce
Foo G is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:07 PM   #11
RecLeagueHero
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoggle101 View Post
Isn't he an IU guy?
RecLeagueHero is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:52 PM   #12
JSpence
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecLeagueHero View Post
Isn't he an IU guy?
Quote:
The Spartans were the beneficiaries of a couple of really close wins over good teams this week (over Ohio State at home, over Wisconsin in Madison), not only because of late-game plays (and Shannon Scott's horrific final shot Saturday in East Lansing) but also because their combination of athleticism and interior strength has made them one of the better defensive rebounding teams in the country -- and one of the more toughest teams to play.
The grammar within the borderline run-on above tells me all I need to know.
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:44 PM   #13
DaytonIllini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpence View Post
By that definition Dan would have to ban 95% of the people that post here.

Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonIllini View Post
By that definition Dan would have to ban 95% of the people that post here.
OK, picky, picky I admit, but he didn't say that bad grammar deserves banning. He said that it tells him plenty about the poster who penned it. Strange concept, no?
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:55 PM   #15
RecLeagueHero
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpence View Post
I had to look it up, just so I could know...yeah, he is a Loosier.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/eamonnb
RecLeagueHero is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 PM   #16
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecLeagueHero View Post
I had to look it up, just so I could know...yeah, he is a Loosier.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/eamonnb
From Greater Chicago, went to IU = turned down by UI?
UofIChE06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:49 AM   #17
Bailey
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
From Greater Chicago, went to IU = turned down by UI?
For Journalism? uh...

Sincerely,
Purdue Grad
Bailey is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:32 AM   #18
UofIChE06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
For Journalism? uh...

Sincerely,
Purdue Grad
I looked it up and you are right.... must one of the only things IU is better at.
UofIChE06 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:12 PM   #19
zoggle101
Harringtons overview is spot on especially McGary. The kid plays all out.

The others :

Jon Horford - physical player with scoring ability. Not the tallest post player but gets it done with strength and aggressiveness.

Matt Vogrich - he's not a super athlete, but Matt can still knock down threes. Be aware of him if he's in the game.

Spike Albrect - solid, small freshman guard. I haven't been able to watch him much, but it looks like he has enough ability to enter the game for spurts allowing Burke to rest while running the offense efficiently. True pg comes to mind.
zoggle101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:18 PM   #20
kbotc
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofIChE06 View Post
I looked it up and you are right.... must one of the only things IU is better at.
So, Mizzou and Northwestern are top journalism schools, and even IU beats us. No wonder we're never given much love in the national press... The enemies write the stories.
kbotc is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »