Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Gophers want Shaka Smart

Closed Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1
cjcastan
Souhan: If Tubby can't turn this around, it's time to get Smart

Quote:
If the Gophers basketball coach can't drag his most talented team back to .500 and make his program presentable for the NCAA tournament selectors, athletic director Norwood Teague should buy him out and lure VCU coach Shaka Smart to The Barn.

Unless Teague has pictures of Smart murdering someone, I really really doubt this happens.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:30 AM   #2
illini ri0t
Banned
why does minnesota think that they are the only team that is immune to losing streaks in the B1G?

Every team has suffered consecutive losses. Hell, look at michigan and ohio state currently standing at 2 losses. Maybe minny should join the SEC or C-USA where they may have a better chance at winning.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:46 AM   #3
quhawks12
Teague hired Smart at VCU. I'd say there they have a real shot at him based on that relationship alone.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
why does minnesota think that they are the only team that is immune to losing streaks in the B1G?

Every team has suffered consecutive losses. Hell, look at michigan and ohio state currently standing at 2 losses. Maybe minny should join the SEC or C-USA where they may have a better chance at winning.
But Minnesota does this every year. They start off looking good and then crumble in the Big Ten season and find a way to finish below .500 in conference. Tubby Smith has done an absolutely mediocre job at Minny. I don't even know if he's one of the 10 best coaches in the conference.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:54 AM   #5
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFour88 View Post
But Minnesota does this every year. They start off looking good and then crumble in the Big Ten season and find a way to finish below .500 in conference. Tubby Smith has done an absolutely mediocre job at Minny. I don't even know if he's one of the 10 best coaches in the conference.

Good point. Minny doesn't have the top flight recruits coming in and out like some of the other teams in the B1G. Talent makes a difference.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:55 AM   #6
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by quhawks12 View Post
Teague hired Smart at VCU. I'd say there they have a real shot at him based on that relationship alone.
But I'm guessing Smart didn't take the VCU job because of Teague. He probably took it because it was his best job offer at the time. This off-season, Minnesota will likely not be his best job offer. If it is, he'll just hold out for something better -- just like he did last year.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:56 AM   #7
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini ri0t View Post
Good point. Minny doesn't have the top flight recruits coming in and out like some of the other teams in the B1G. Talent makes a difference.
True, true.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:57 AM   #8
cjcastan
Quote:
He's turned down Maryland and NC State and some other B1G team.

But yes to a team who hasn't officially won a NCAA tourney game since 1990?

MD and NC State are National Championship winning programs in talent rich areas.

Dunno man, with as brutal as the B1G is now and will be considering the gauntlet of opposing coaches a coach would face.

You would suppose one at least would want to go to a team where you have some built in advantages like a mammoth money churning football program or a talent laden recruiting breadbasket, neither of which Minny has.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:05 AM   #9
quhawks12
Quote:
But I'm guessing Smart didn't take the VCU job because of Teague. He probably took it because it was his best job offer at the time. This off-season, Minnesota will likely not be his best job offer. If it is, he'll just hold out for something better -- just like he did last year.
I didn't say he would take the job. I said they have a real shot at getting him because of that relationship. Personally, I think he goes to UCLA.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Botb9
Realist
Did Souhan tear any ligaments from that knee-jerk reaction?

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:31 AM   #11
CaptainHindsight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botb9 View Post
Did Souhan tear any ligaments from that knee-jerk reaction?
:laugh:
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:32 AM   #12
FinalFour88
Quote:
I didn't say he would take the job. I said they have a real shot at getting him because of that relationship. Personally, I think he goes to UCLA.
Ucla sounds like a real possibility. I think UConn could have a shot too. They currently have an interim coach who's just doing so-so, right?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:35 AM   #13
quhawks12
Quote:
Ucla sounds like a real possibility. I think UConn could have a shot too. They currently have an interim coach who's just doing so-so, right?
Ollie got a contract extension earlier in the season.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:37 AM   #14
cjcastan
Quote:
UConn is out. Ollie just got reupped for 5 more years. Plus Calhoun still has an office there.

I'd bet he goes to UCLA this offseason. That would be the best job becoming open since UK or IU.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:41 AM   #15
illini ri0t
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
UConn is out. Ollie just got reupped for 5 more years. Plus Calhoun still has an office there.

I'd bet he goes to UCLA this offseason. That would be the best job becoming open since UK or IU.

It's no secret that Smart is waiting for a job at a "historic" program. UCLA fits that mold.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:44 AM   #16
Cool Hand Luke
Founder, Mike Thomas Fan Club
I believe Mizzou is going to make a hard push for Smart if they decide Haith is more trouble than he's worth.

But I am speculating wildly.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:46 AM   #17
FinalFour88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I believe Mizzou is going to make a hard push for Smart if they decide Haith is more trouble than he's worth.

Shaka Smart going to Missouri: my worst nightmare.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:48 AM   #18
FinalFour88
Quote:

Does a Ben Howland dismissal seem eminent? Sorry, I haven't been following other conferences, evidenced by my UConn comment above.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:49 AM   #19
justsomedude
Quote:
He's turned down Maryland and NC State and some other B1G team.

But yes to a team who hasn't officially won a NCAA tourney game since 1990?

MD and NC State are National Championship winning programs in talent rich areas.

Dunno man, with as brutal as the B1G is now and will be considering the gauntlet of opposing coaches a coach would face.

You would suppose one at least would want to go to a team where you have some built in advantages like a mammoth money churning football program or a talent laden recruiting breadbasket, neither of which Minny has.
There is one other potential advantage to Minny, it's in an urban area where his wife could still practice her business.

Not saying it would happen, but Teague and the "city" atmosphere are two cards we didn't have, despite being a better job.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:50 AM   #20
aberger
Banned
Quote:
If he is holding out for a better job then Illinois, good luck to him.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:51 AM   #21
aberger
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post

The rule to show cause against Haith pretty much guarantees he will be gone after this season.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:51 AM   #22
zpfled
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
There is one other potential advantage to Minny, it's in an urban area where his wife could still practice her business.

Not saying it would happen, but Teague and the "city" atmosphere are two cards we didn't have, despite being a better job.
And Minnesota's recruiting base is not heavily dependent on Chicago, which IIRC Smart was hesitant about tackling.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:06 AM   #23
cjcastan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpfled View Post
And Minnesota's recruiting base is not heavily dependent on Chicago, which IIRC Smart was hesitant about tackling.
More talent comes from outside the chicago metro area in Illinois than in the state of Minnesota as a whole.

Cribbed this from gopherhole from GophersinIowa

Quote:
Talent is better in MN than ever before but it is no where near Illinois, Indiana, or Michigan. I just looked back at the last three years Rivals Top 150 list. In those three years, just one MN player (Joe Coleman) was on the list. In that same period, Illinois had 20, Indiana 19, Michigan 14, Wisconsin 12, Iowa 4, Nebraska 2, and Ohio 2. Yes, next year will be a big year in talent for the state but still nowhere near the top three. I was surprised Wisconsin had so many the past few years.
I'm also guessing the LA AAU scene would be just a seedy as Chi-town. Read "Play their hearts out" by Dohrmann

Didn't Mizzou already get turned down by Shaka then moved to Painter?

Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:26 AM   #24
justsomedude
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberger View Post
If he is holding out for a better job then Illinois, good luck to him.
I don't know, he's pretty much increased his value this year and looks to be only improving. He and Stevens are clearly the two top coaches for any Blue Blood to go after.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:28 AM   #25
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomedude View Post
I don't know, he's pretty much increased his value this year and looks to be only improving. He and Stevens are clearly the two top coaches for any Blue Blood to go after.
+1. Ben Howland looks to be on the way out, and UCLA is objectively a better job than Illinois
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »