Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

2/16 Games

Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Dan
Admin
The February 16th college basketball games thread.

Today's Big Ten games-

Purdue at Indiana, 1:00pm CT, ESPN

Michigan State at Nebraska, 7:00pm CT, BTN

B1G standings-
_____________________Conf______+/-____Overall
1.__Indiana__________10-2______4______22-3
____Michigan State___10-2______4______21-4
3.__Michigan__________8-4______3______21-4
____Ohio State________8-4______2______18-6
____Wisconsin_________8-4______2______17-8
6.__Minnesota_________6-6______-1_____18-7
7.__Illinois__________5-7______-2_____18-8
____Iowa______________5-7_______0_____16-9
____Purdue____________5-7______-1_____12-13
10._Northwestern______4-8______-1_____13-12
11._Nebraska__________3-9______-3_____12-13
12._Penn State________0-12_____-7______8-16

+/- = +1 for B1G road win, -1 for B1G home loss.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
sapan1030
Banned
They're talking to Bill Self on college gameday at Kansas right now. The first question they asked him was why he left Illinois, because he had a pretty good thing going. Self responded that it had always been dream to coach at Kansas, ever since he was a graduate assistant there, but that when he was at Illinois he was convinced he was working at a top 10 job in college basketball
sapan1030 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Jimmy McNulty
Bill Self on College Gameday he's an easy guy to like, especially now that I think we found a guy to replace him in Groce. He did say he thought he had a top 10 job at Illinois which I think he's said before.

Sapan beat me too it. good interview

Last edited by Jimmy McNulty; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: already posted
Jimmy McNulty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
stevo99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapan1030 View Post
They're talking to Bill Self on college gameday at Kansas right now. The first question they asked him was why he left Illinois, because he had a pretty good thing going. Self responded that it had always been dream to coach at Kansas, ever since he was a graduate assistant there, but that when he was at Illinois he was convinced he was working at a top 10 job in college basketball

You can tell even to this day, he isn't comfortable talking about leaving Illinois.
stevo99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
AHSIllini32
Banned
I think it's been talked about before but really the only job he would have left Illinois for was Kansas and unfortunately that happened. It'll be an endless debate as to whether Self would have gotten Illinois to the place it's never been before.
AHSIllini32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Jimmy McNulty
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHSIllini32 View Post
I think it's been talked about before but really the only job he would have left Illinois for was Kansas and unfortunately that happened. It'll be an endless debate as to whether Self would have gotten Illinois to the place it's never been before.
All the blame goes on Matt Doereghty (Sp?) for not being able to get it done at UNC. What could've been. I'm ok now though thinking what could be.
Jimmy McNulty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #7
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
With the right coach/AD I believe this is true. We just haven't had that perfect combination yet. I hope we have it now. With the talent in HCJG's stated recruiting area (6 hour driving radius I believe he said, or was that Beckman? Applies to both I think) the backing of the athletic department, and facilities upgrade, there is absolutely no reason we can't be a perennial top ten team.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
sapan1030
Banned
As Jimmy said up above, Self is a really easy guy to like. Can't blame him for going to Kansas. I don't know how anyone could say no to everything they have to offer. I hope someday I can take a trip out to Phog Allen for a game to see what it's all about
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:48 AM   #9
sapan1030
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
With the right coach/AD I believe this is true. We just haven't had that perfect combination yet. I hope we have it now. With the talent in HCJG's stated recruiting area (6 hour driving radius I believe he said, or was that Beckman? Applies to both I think) the backing of the athletic department, and facilities upgrade, there is absolutely no reason we can't be a perennial top ten team.
Even with the facilities upgrade, based on the mockups I think we're still pretty far away from what many programs offer their athletes. Their are some ridiculously impressive practice facilities and arenas around the country
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:59 AM   #10
AzIlliniFan
Quote:
Even with the facilities upgrade, based on the mockups I think we're still pretty far away from what many programs offer their athletes. Their are some ridiculously impressive practice facilities and arenas around the country
We obviously won't have facilities anywhere near as nice as Kentucky, Louisville, or even Nebraska. But at least there will be an improvement over what we have now. As part of a package it will be adequate and should be down the list of considerations a recruit hopefully bases his choice of schools on. 1 and 2 on his list should be the Head Coach and the program. Those two should make up at least 90% of the factors in his decision.
AzIlliniFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:08 AM   #11
frankfortillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzIlliniFan View Post
We obviously won't have facilities anywhere near as nice as Kentucky, Louisville, or even Nebraska. But at least there will be an improvement over what we have now. As part of a package it will be adequate and should be down the list of considerations a recruit hopefully bases his choice of schools on. 1 and 2 on his list should be the Head Coach and the program. Those two should make up at least 90% of the factors in his decision.
Are there renderings of all the upgrades being done at UBBEN?
frankfortillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:43 PM   #12
trevdv
These games don't really affect where we sit in the standings at all. Either the top teams win again, or the bottom feeders pick up an upset win.

Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:55 PM   #13
IlliniRunIn07
Kentucky is getting throttled right now. Down to Tennessee by 25 with a few minutes to go in the half. Wouldn't it be sweet to see them miss the tournament? Notre dame just lost to providence too. A couple ranked teams go down today already!
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:28 PM   #14
JSpence
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Kentucky is getting throttled right now. Down to Tennessee by 25 with a few minutes to go in the half. Wouldn't it be sweet to see them miss the tournament? Notre dame just lost to providence too. A couple ranked teams go down today already!
They certainly don't deserve to be dancing.

UK down 28 a few minutes into the 2nd half.
JSpence is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:36 PM   #15
IlliniFan95
Banned
Dakich is just an idiot. He is unwatchable when he does IU games. Imho
IlliniFan95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:43 PM   #16
IlliniFan95
Banned
Quote:
Never thought they did enough to get ranked in the first place!
IlliniFan95 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:48 PM   #17
AK Illini
UofI Basketball..off the chain
Dakich is getting fat
AK Illini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:50 PM   #18
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Providence was favored in that game, not a surprise. Kentucky is gonna have a hard time making the tournament if they don't show better than they did today. May be a case of the shock of losing Noel having a lingering effect into today's game, we'll see what they do down the stretch.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:51 PM   #19
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan95 View Post
Dakich is just an idiot. He is unwatchable when he does IU games. Imho
I hate IU more than anybody but I just don't understand the Dakich hate...he is the best CBB color guy going imo.
PointGuardU01 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:05 PM   #20
Leonardite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
I hate IU more than anybody but I just don't understand the Dakich hate...he is the best CBB color guy going imo.
Completely disagree.

I think all of the CBS guys are the best. Bill Raftery easily being my favorite.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:08 PM   #21
trevdv
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGuardU01 View Post
He is the best CBB color guy going imo.
He may not be the best, but he's definitely one of my favorites. I don't understand all the criticism; he brings knowledge with some wit and sarcasm as well. And considering he always does Big Ten games, he's not very biased towards his former team, the Hoosiers either. So he's pretty good compared to the others. Raftery is definitely a good color guy too.

Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:21 PM   #22
Leonardite
Tennessee beat Kentucky by 30. Kentucky should definitely be out of the tournament right now, no doubt.

So easy.
So easy.
So easy.

"Frank Williams putting on a show passing the rock! Driving, Drawing, and Dishing the rock! The three D's man!" --- The Frank Williams Show
Leonardite is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:28 PM   #23
bleedsorangenblue
Hate to see any team go down the tubes due to injury. Can't say I am too heartbroken it is KY and that they, likely, will not make the tournament this year. If any team neds to be knocked off their high horse, it is KY. Sometimes the basketball gods get it right.

Hopefully, Noel will be fine and he gets his in the NBA. I don't see him coming back to KY. Tough breaks for a kid who seems to live up to the talent hype. Best of luck going forward.
bleedsorangenblue is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:30 PM   #24
ILLINISTU
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
He may not be the best, but he's definitely one of my favorites. I don't understand all the criticism; he brings knowledge with some wit and sarcasm as well. And considering he always does Big Ten games, he's not very biased towards his former team, the Hoosiers either. So he's pretty good compared to the others. Raftery is definitely a good color guy too.
Hilarious! You are being sarcastic right? Oh, your not? Sorry, I think he's a boob.

Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:31 PM   #25
IlliniSteve
Banned
I did find it funny how a fan in the IU student section had a sign reading "Dakich wears Crocs"
IlliniSteve is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »