Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Just as he did at Ohio, Groce has Illini rolling down the stretch

Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:51 AM   #1
cjcastan
Quote:

What happens next year as Groce's recruits come in and four talented seniors leave is anybody's guess. But no one is doubting that Illinois got the right guy anymore.

And unlike Northwestern, which is spinning its wheels in another lost season, Illinois could actually be Chicago's Big Ten team once again.

ESPN Chicago - His time has come: Just as he did at Ohio, Groce has Illini rolling down the stretch
How fortuitous that one of the ESPN Chi beat writers is an Ohio Alum.

Last edited by Dan; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: moved post to new thread
cjcastan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:09 PM   #2
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcastan View Post
ESPN Chicago - His time has come: Just as he did at Ohio, Groce has Illini rolling down the stretch

My favorite bit was his jab at Krush owning Chicago's Big Ten high school gym. :laugh:
IlliniKat91 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
UIUC2008
Banned
Quote:
I've been following Greenberg on Twitter and always wondered why he followed Illinois so closely. It was about two weeks ago when he was tweeting from an OU game that I put two and two together. He loves Groce. It's good to see some good press in the Chicago media. Shannon Ryan is brutal.
UIUC2008 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by UIUC2008 View Post
I've been following Greenberg on Twitter and always wondered why he followed Illinois so closely. It was about two weeks ago when he was tweeting from an OU game that I put two and two together. He loves Groce. It's good to see some good press in the Chicago media. Shannon Ryan is brutal.
This is sexist, and I should feel bad for saying it about another woman, but what's brutal is how she looked during Groce's latest press conference. I was shocked when he called her Shannon. I went and Googled her picture after watching the video, and was shocked. Someone didn't bother looking decent before she left the house.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5
illynifan34
That's a winner!!
One of my favorite parts of that article is the picture of Myke Henry's reverse dunk that didn't go in.

In Mike I Trust

Aggressive

illynifan34 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6
trevdv
Quote:
Now, after righting things with four wins in a row and with an NCAA tournament bid almost locked up, there is, it seems, contentment in University of Illinois basketball circles. The Illini owned the Big Ten's Chicago high school gym.

No one is doubting that Illinois got the right guy anymore. And unlike Northwestern, which is spinning its wheels in another lost season, Illinois could actually be Chicago's Big Ten team once again.
These quotes just make me smile. Never thought I'd see this stuff being written about our basketball program this season.

trevdv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:24 PM   #7
colbeck1
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
One of my favorite parts of that article is the picture of Myke Henry's reverse dunk that didn't go in.
That was the first thing I thought also!
colbeck1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:33 PM   #8
IL2000
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynifan34 View Post
IL2000 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2000 View Post
Is that picture the "C" in "Chicago's Big Ten Team"?
Did they do that yesterday?

Made me laugh, true or not.
Big billboard it is on, too.
FeelYourPaign is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:53 PM   #10
illinifan31
Orange Krush Cow
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post

Nah, it just spelled CATS. All the letters almost didn't show up in time, so we weren't really sure what they were trying to spell.
illinifan31 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:54 PM   #11
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post

They don't have enough fans to spell that out.
DrewD007 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:55 PM   #12
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan31 View Post
Nah, it just spelled CATS. All the letters almost didn't show up in time, so we weren't really sure what they were trying to spell.
He's pretty sad looking.
Was this before the game or well onto their beating?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 PM   #13
BrooksTaylorFan
Banned
Quote:
Looks like he enjoyed coloring in his belly button a little too much. :laugh:
BrooksTaylorFan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:46 PM   #14
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
For some reason this makes me think of Fight Club.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:57 PM   #15
IlliniKat91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
For some reason this makes me think of Fight Club.
You know, now that you say that, I can totally see it.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:28 PM   #16
-josh-
Banana no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
They don't have enough fans to spell that out.

:laugh:

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:37 AM   #17
freebird6
Quote:
That OHIO has the top flight Scripps School of Journalism and an aggressive Sports Ad and Sports Marketing program one expects nothing less from zealous and proud alums. That Groce is a bit of a folk hero in Athens as he will be when he is snatched up from Champaign means lots of Bobcats are following the Illini.
freebird6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Botb9
Realist
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird6 View Post
That OHIO has the top flight Scripps School of Journalism and an aggressive Sports Ad and Sports Marketing program one expects nothing less from zealous and proud alums. That Groce is a bit of a folk hero in Athens as he will be when he is snatched up from Champaign means lots of Bobcats are following the Illini.
You assume he is snatched up from here at all! Perhaps this guy ends up an Illini lifer.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:50 AM   #19
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Yo I know you always have "inside info" when it relates to JG. I don't know if you graduated from Ohio maybe? So you've been following him longer than we have or what, but do you think there's a possibility JG is going to be at Illinois long term?
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:15 AM   #20
freebird6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart53x3 View Post
Yo I know you always have "inside info" when it relates to JG. I don't know if you graduated from Ohio maybe? So you've been following him longer than we have or what, but do you think there's a possibility JG is going to be at Illinois long term?
Been following him since he was a freshman coach at a local HS. Best prepared freshman team ever seen.

I wrote 4 years on a napkin in one of our informal "napkin pools" at a local bar in Athens the summer he and Holtmann came to OHIO. Reason being that I thought it would take him getting his cycle of players on board to run his system. Leaving C-U will be harder as there are only so many places that are truly bigger programs with more upside. He is close to family and that is way important with his kids and their aunts, uncles and grandparents.

In the new Napkin Challenge I wrote 5 , because IMHO I believe it is going to take a weird alignment of tourney success, retirement and recruiting wins to make the next jump. I truly believe Matta is screwed as the recruits JG brought in are drying up. JG as a lead recruiter built the foundation for the sustained success that started with Matta at Butler, X and then culminated at tO$U. He is a tireless recruiter that sells families and players on being at a place and only pursues high character and very coachable guys with families that will back his approach to their kid. C-U is like OHIO in the regard that it is an easy sell. Get em on campus and with the love he gives them the family is sold.

I am not a grad...actually Illinois Benedictine. I am a native Hoosier ( not as in IU, but a native of the state) that is 3rd gen player and subsequent lifelong junkie/student of the game. I think JG is going to leave the Illini in great shape...I am never going to say he will win Big Ten titles because that is not how he works. I got a feeling most will be happy with runs in the tourney over Conference titles. My biggest complaint about Keady was his success in season and lack of advancement with regard to the tourney....but you can insert several coaches in that position.

Happy that JG is living up to his mantra. "we want to be playing our best ball in March"

Last edited by freebird6; Feb 19, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
freebird6 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:22 AM   #21
U of I 89-05-10
Call me crazy, but I think we hang on to Groce. Kruger and Self were rare exceptions that were specific to themselves; this CAN be a destination job, no worse than Syracuse, Arizona or Michigan State.
U of I 89-05-10 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:28 AM   #22
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of I 89-05-10 View Post
Call me crazy, but I think we hang on to Groce. Kruger and Self were rare exceptions that were specific to themselves; this CAN be a destination job, no worse than Syracuse, Arizona or Michigan State.
There is one thing each of those programs has that Illinois doesn't, but I'm hopeful that Groce has what it takes to even it up a bit.
Ransom Stoddard is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:38 AM   #23
lstewart53x3
Quote:
Been following him since he was a freshman coach at a local HS. Best prepared freshman team ever seen.

I wrote 4 years on a napkin in one of our informal "napkin pools" at a local bar in Athens the summer he and Holtmann came to OHIO. Reason being that I thought it would take him getting his cycle of players on board to run his system. Leaving C-U will be harder as there are only so many places that are truly bigger programs with more upside. He is close to family and that is way important with his kids and their aunts, uncles and grandparents.

In the new Napkin Challenge I wrote 5 , because IMHO I believe it is going to take a weird alignment of tourney success, retirement and recruiting wins to make the next jump. I truly believe Matta is screwed as the recruits JG brought in are drying up. JG as a lead recruiter built the foundation for the sustained success that started with Matta at Butler, X and then culminated at tO$U. He is a tireless recruiter that sells families and players on being at a place and only pursues high character and very coachable guys with families that will back his approach to their kid. C-U is like OHIO in the regard that it is an easy sell. Get em on campus and with the love he gives them the family is sold.

I am not a grad...actually Illinois Benedictine. I am a native Hoosier ( not as in IU, but a native of the state) that is 3rd gen player and subsequent lifelong junkie/student of the game. I think JG is going to leave the Illini in great shape...I am never going to say he will win Big Ten titles because that is not how he works. I got a feeling most will be happy with runs in the tourney over Conference titles. My biggest complaint about Keady was his success in season and lack of advancement with regard to the tourney....but you can insert several coaches in that position.

Happy that JG is living up to his mantra. "we want to be playing our best ball in March"
Wow, you're awesome. Thanks for the insight!

Admittedly, I had never heard of JG, until we hired him, but to me, he seems like a super star coach in the making. He has all the intangibles that BW never had.

I hope, when the time comes, MT does the right thing and pays the man what he deserves (not saying he only cares about money, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt).
lstewart53x3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:44 AM   #24
Calvin
Quote:

Good to get your perspective. It does make me wonder what it takes to keep a high level coach, assuming Groce becomes the kind of coach the elites go after. Would we pony up 3+ mil? (you have to believe MT would given the $2.5 for Shaka) Is Groce a guy who wants to cash in if he has a great tourney run a little later in his tenure? How much will his recruits mean to him once they're here and playing well for him? While we might not have the brand name of the blue bloods, if he makes in-roads in Chicago, you'd have to think that would factor into his thinking in a positive way for us also.

Think I'll worry about that another day....
Calvin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:47 AM   #25
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post

Think I'll worry about that another day....
That's how I feel.
JG, please do so well that I have to worry.

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »