Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Pregame: Illinois at Michigan, Sunday, February 24th, 12:00pm CT, ESPN

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Game 29: Illinois (20-8, 7-7) at Michigan (22-4, 9-4)

Sunday, February 24th

Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, MI

Time: 12:00pm CT

TV: ESPN

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:11 PM   #2
hooraybeer
hopefully the trend continues that we play our best in the big games. UM has not been playing their best lately, i think this game will be close.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:45 PM   #3
stevo99
I think it's imperative that we get off to a good start.

For that to happen, the engine of our offense needs to get off to a good start. Tracy has to be back in the starting lineup on Sunday.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:18 PM   #4
jrichisamazing
This game is much more fun to watch than penn st. If we pull out a win we could put ourselves in position to steal a 3 seed in the dance. If we lose, who cares.

Looking at Michigan, I could see them coming out in two ways. They haven't been playing well and they let penn st. hang around so they come out with a lot of intensity. Or they've had a week off and are kind of rusty.

Groce looks like he has been doing a good job making adjustments when playing a team for the second time. One thing to look for is how we play defense. Last time we played Michigan, we were switching on ball screens. This caused some very bad match ups and Michigan got some easy buckets and rebound tip ins because of it. I'm guessing Groce won't use the same strategy this time around. Obviously Michigan is the type of team that isn't going to be stopped by any defense if they are clicking on offense. Hopefully Brandon has a good game so we can keep up with them or just hope they have an off day.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5
micahmccoy
Looking forward to this game. We should play with nothing to lose at this point. Aside, from Nebraska, I'd say it's all gravy from here on out. If they play loose and win 1 or 2 of these remaining away games, we'll have a really nice resume.

It's hard for me to imagine what it's like playing at Michigan when they have a top team. I've been to games up there a few time in the past 5 years, and both time it was like a morgue and half empty. Our guys seem to thrive on hostile environments anyway, so hopefully it's full and crazy.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Adnarel
In order for this game to be close, our offense has to be firing on all cylinders. That means Nnanna's jumper needs to be going in, Griffey needs to hit a few 3's, and JoeTales needs to utilize his beautiful runners.

I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, given what we saw in the early part of the season, but I think our defense is just about as good as it can be with this team. Now the offense needs to catch up if we want to continue knocking off deep, talented, and well-coached teams.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
CaliforniaIllini
I want us to kill Michigan. I'm tired of listening to my friend talk about how great Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway are. I hope we destroy them the way MSU did and then some in front of a sellout crowd. Afterwards, the camera needs to pan over the student section where I will see my friend standing there with yellow facepaint and holding his head staring forward in disbelief.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Illini B-Ball Fan
If we play like we did against the wins with IN and MN, we'll come out on top.

IL: 68
MI: 65
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:38 AM   #9
trevdv
Michigan is on a downward spiral. They struggle to put teams away at home.

We are on an upward trend. We are playing Michigan on the road, where we have been pretty good this year.

Michigan - 67

Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Thacher_H_Guild
Traveling with a fairly short turnaround against a well-coached team that has had an entire week to rest up and prepare. Illinois may hang tough, but I don't see them pulling this one out on the road. This team has surprised me often this year though so I hope I'm wrong.

Still, I think tOSU is the better chance for a road win.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
I'm not expecting a win, but it would be soooo fantastic to be above .500 in the B1G for at least a little while. I think scUM is beatable, but as others have said it will have to be a very well played game by the Illini.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Psycho 86
King Monkey Nut
One game at a time !! GO ILLINI !!

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Botb9
Realist
I think our defense does a much better job containing Burke than it did in the last meeting. That said, I think that draws someone off of McGary and he probably has a career game against us.

UM - 75
UI - 68

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Botb9
Realist
Eamonn Brennan lists this game as his pick for the Weekend Watch.

Weekend Watch Preview

Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:41 AM   #15
mdonsbach
I want to be delusional but I just can't. We probably stay close for awhile then end up losing by double digits.

We would need a combination of poor shooting on their end and somoene to go off on our end.

I keep thinking Michigan can't keep up their good shooting and have at least one night off...here's to hoping it's Sunday.

Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:10 AM   #16
FeelYourPaign
On the weekend watch concept, anyone besides me find it odd that the B1G didn't even have a single game scheduled for Saturday?
4 team off this weekend and should have been 6, but Iowa / NU is a reschedule to Saturday due to weather.
The other 6, including us, all play on Sunday.
I just think it is odd to consciously play all of your games on Sunday.
Did the conference do a marketing study or something?
I'm curious.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:17 AM   #17
OrchardDowns
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo99 View Post
I think it's imperative that we get off to a good start.

For that to happen, the engine of our offense needs to get off to a good start. Tracy has to be back in the starting lineup on Sunday.
Brandon Paul also HAS to return to form or we have very little chance of knocking off a team like Michigan. He needs a 20-25 pt. game as well as DJ with 15-18 and Tracy 10-15. Then help here and there from the rest of the cast and we're right there with a chance to win at Chrysler Arena!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:22 AM   #18
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Michigan is on a downward spiral.
Let's tap the brakes juuuuuust a little.

@mattcoldagelli

Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:24 AM   #19
IlliniFan95
Banned
I think we can bet Michigan but they have to let us play on the defensive end. If we get the same type of reffing as PSU we lose going away! Hoping for the best IL 78-75!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:31 AM   #20
ChiCityIllini
Michigan coming off an extended rest, at home. Guards like Burke kill us with their ability to drive the lane. I think we hang around for a half or so but too many weapons on Mich. We lose 75-67

I don't understand the B1G scheduling this year either why do they tend schedule the same opponent so close to each other. For example, Michigan plays PSU twice in 3 games in the late season?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:41 AM   #21
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdv View Post
Michigan is on a downward spiral. They struggle to put teams away at home.

We are on an upward trend. We are playing Michigan on the road, where we have been pretty good this year.

Michigan - 67
Michigan is in a downward spiral? Because they lost at Indiana, at MSU, and at WIS on a half-court shot? Ummm, I have trouble buying that. They are still good and they've been off all week. We will get their best, it will take a great defensive effort and somebody going off a la BP at Gonzaga or DJ at Neb for us to win. Good news is there isn't much to lose here but a lot to gain.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:44 AM   #22
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityIllini View Post
Michigan coming off an extended rest, at home. Guards like Burke kill us with their ability to drive the lane. I think we hang around for a half or so but too many weapons on Mich. We lose 75-67

I don't understand the B1G scheduling this year either why do they tend schedule the same opponent so close to each other. For example, Michigan plays PSU twice in 3 games in the late season?
Logistically it has to happen from time to time because of not playing a round robin schedule. I actually think theyve done a better job with schedule this year. No Thurs-Sat turnarounds and no 10 day breaks between games.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:46 AM   #23
jcgoldie
I dont like the looks of this one coming in. We may be due for a hiccup and Michigan is a better team than they've shown the past few games. When they played us in Champaign I thought they looked like the best college basketball team I've seen all year. I'll be happy if the Illini can keep this one close and give themselves a chance at the end. Hope I'm wrong thats why they play the games.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:48 AM   #24
PointGuardU01
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
On the weekend watch concept, anyone besides me find it odd that the B1G didn't even have a single game scheduled for Saturday?
4 team off this weekend and should have been 6, but Iowa / NU is a reschedule to Saturday due to weather.
The other 6, including us, all play on Sunday.
I just think it is odd to consciously play all of your games on Sunday.
Did the conference do a marketing study or something?
I'm curious.
Sunday always a better TV day than Saturday and with NFL done, why not? Having said that I HATE SUNDAY GAMES!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Dan
Admin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelYourPaign View Post
It is strange, tomorrow was the only Saturday/Sunday with no B1G league games scheduled this season. I guess the snowstorm saved the day, and those with BTN2Go access can enjoy Nebraska-Iowa
Closed Thread

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Basketball | Next Thread »