Sat, Oct 07___@Iowa
Sat, Oct 14___Rutgers
Sat, Oct 21___@Minnesota
Sat, Oct 28___Wisconsin (Homecoming)
Sat, Nov 04___@Purdue
Sat, Nov 11___Indiana
Sat, Nov 18___@Ohio State
Sat, Nov 25___Northwestern

Looking ahead to the coaching turnover and impact on Illinois schedule for 2017, anyone know how good WKU and/or USF are supposed to be next year?

Would be a huge windfall if either one of those teams will significantly suffer from the coaching turnover.

Last edited by Dan; Feb 20, 2017 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added schedule
mhuml32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2016, 01:36 PM   #2
cmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuml32 View Post
Looking ahead to the coaching turnover and impact on Illinois schedule for 2017, anyone know how good WKU and/or USF are supposed to be next year?

Would be a huge windfall if either one of those teams will significantly suffer from the coaching turnover.
We need this coaching turnover to slow their progress. They are both better than us.
cmore is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2016, 07:41 PM   #3
IlliniRunIn07
Quote:

I will be shocked if we beat USF next year, even with a 1st year coach. I can't really comment on WKU.
IlliniRunIn07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Lake Camelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
I will be shocked if we beat USF next year, even with a 1st year coach. I can't really comment on WKU.
Looks like it will be Charlie Strong as USF coach.

Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:56 AM   #5
2ndGenIllini
USF is expected to have most of their roster back and is expected to be very strong. I'm going to count it as a loss for now.
2ndGenIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:16 AM   #6
DCOrange
WKU loses pretty much all of their playmakers including several NFL draft picks. Combine that with losing Jeff Brohm, and I would expect them to take a major step back.
That should be a game that allows our offense to get into a rhythm, which could be very valuable for our success when we get to Big Ten play. Hopefully Lawson can get comfortable enough in our system after the first two games to give us a fighting chance when we go to South Florida.

Go Illini!
DCOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:25 AM   #7
ChiCityIllini
I see another season with 3 wins. Ball State, Rutgers, Purdue. WKU could be the 4th depending on who they hire.
ChiCityIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:29 AM   #8
Lake Camelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityIllini View Post
I see another season with 3 wins. Ball State, Rutgers, Purdue. WKU could be the 4th depending on who they hire.
I think 4 wins. 5 if we play well.

Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:30 AM   #9
dgcrow
Quote:
Yeah, Western Kentucky maybe. Also, IF the Illini hope to go to a bowl game, perhaps Indiana and Northwestern, both at home.
dgcrow is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Deon1987
Quote:
Selling us super short....LOVIE never regresses as a head coach record wise
Deon1987 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deon1987 View Post
Selling us super short....LOVIE never regresses as a head coach record wise
Curious what you mean by this, since his record clearly shows differently.

Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:59 PM   #12
Deon1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
Curious what you mean by this, since his record clearly shows differently.
Records show at all his stops he improved each year 2-3 wins
Old Dec 11, 2016, 01:17 PM   #13
IllinoisFanAtFSU
Quote:
2017 Illini Football
Sat, Sep 02___Ball State W
Sat, Sep 09___Western Kentucky W
Sat, Sep 16___@South Florida L (I will be in attendance!)
Sat, Sep 23___---bye---
Fri, Sep 29___Nebraska L (close game)
Sat, Oct 07___@Iowa L (close game)
Sat, Oct 14___Rutgers W
Sat, Oct 21___@Minnesota L (close game)
Sat, Oct 28___Wisconsin (Homecoming) L
Sat, Nov 04___@Purdue W
Sat, Nov 11___Indiana Toss up
Sat, Nov 18___@Ohio State L
Sat, Nov 25___Northwestern Toss up

My far too early predictions are above. I am assuming a top 40 recruiting class with several freshmen who can contribute early (Carney, Smalling, Oladipo, maybe Boyd, and Thomas if he can get cleared). Also assuming that we are fairly healthy, no more than one key player out for the season.

I think we can win one of the two games I enumerated as toss ups. That puts us at 5-7, a decent improvement heading into year three of Lovie. If we can win both of those or steal one of those three games that I think will be close losses, we're bowling! I see our range being from 4-8 to 6-6.
IllinoisFanAtFSU is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 01:18 PM   #14
BlueGuy27
Quote:
Records show at all his stops he improved each year 2-3 wins
Lol...you realize the NFL and NCAA have different rules, right? If we could pay free agents to play for us next year, then this trend may hold true, but we can't.
BlueGuy27 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 01:23 PM   #15
Deon1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGuy27 View Post
Lol...you realize the NFL and NCAA have different rules, right? If we could pay free agents to play for us next year, then this trend may hold true, but we can't.
These aren't rules.....its just coaching results...transfers and scholarships are the same game as free agency lovie knows that
Old Dec 11, 2016, 01:27 PM   #16
Ransom Stoddard
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Quote:
These aren't rules.....its just coaching results...transfers and scholarships are the same game as free agency lovie knows that
1. They aren't, not even remotely. IIRC, Lovie did not have roster authority with the Bears until several years in.
2. You appear to be using only year 1 to year 2 in your analysis, and he's only had 2 opportunities to do so. In other words, a very small data set, and in both cases he had ownership that was willing to open the checkbook to bring in the talent.

Old Dec 11, 2016, 01:34 PM   #17
Deon1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom Stoddard View Post
1. They aren't, not even remotely. IIRC, Lovie did not have roster authority with the Bears until several years in.
2. You appear to be using only year 1 to year 2 in your analysis, and he's only had 2 opportunities to do so. In other words, a very small data set, and in both cases he had ownership that was willing to open the checkbook to bring in the talent.
The facts are still there has he regressed after taking over a team???...no

Did he hire the best assistants he could having the a.d open his checkbook up??? Yes
Old Dec 13, 2016, 03:22 PM   #18
champaignchris
You can divide the last 50 years of Illinois football in 2 equal 25 year periods.

From 1967 to 1991, from the Slush Fund scandal until Mac left for Texas, Illinois went 72-50-6 (.586) against Iowa, Minny, Wisc, NW, PU, and MSU. Those 6 schools are historically Illinois' peers. The ones we should be competing against. The ones we should be measuring ourselves against.

From 1992 to 2016, the Guenther and Thomas eras (and since both Smith and Whitman came in midway through the offseason, I'm including 2016) Illinois went 35-80-1 (.306) against those same 6 schools.

Hopefully 2017 can be the start of a new era. Lovie's first whole season with the team. I want to see strides in play, if not necessarily in win loss record. We need to start competing against our peers again, and in a couple years, beating them with regularity.
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2016, 03:44 PM   #19
breadman
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniRunIn07 View Post
Let's not forget that intangible of motivation here. USF is in Lawson's home town of Tampa, or whatever suburb of Tampa it is, anywho. He will want to have a very, very god showing in this game in front of family and friends. So, an unexpected source of Illini fans to boot.
breadman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2016, 04:54 PM   #20
BlueGuy27
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadman View Post
Let's not forget that intangible of motivation here. USF is in Lawson's home town of Tampa, or whatever suburb of Tampa it is, anywho. He will want to have a very, very god showing in this game in front of family and friends. So, an unexpected source of Illini fans to boot.
Tre Watson from Tampa as well.
BlueGuy27 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2016, 07:13 PM   #21
FeelYourPaign
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post
You can divide the last 50 years of Illinois football in 2 equal 25 year periods.

From 1967 to 1991, from the Slush Fund scandal until Mac left for Texas, Illinois went 72-50-6 (.586) against Iowa, Minny, Wisc, NW, PU, and MSU. Those 6 schools are historically Illinois' peers. The ones we should be competing against. The ones we should be measuring ourselves against.

From 1992 to 2016, the Guenther and Thomas eras (and since both Smith and Whitman came in midway through the offseason, I'm including 2016) Illinois went 35-80-1 (.306) against those same 6 schools.

Hopefully 2017 can be the start of a new era. Lovie's first whole season with the team. I want to see strides in play, if not necessarily in win loss record. We need to start competing against our peers again, and in a couple years, beating them with regularity.
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the summary.
And, Go Lovie !
FeelYourPaign is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2016, 08:17 PM   #22
EJ33
Quote:
Originally Posted by champaignchris View Post

What was the record under just Mike White and Mackovic? I'm guessing closer to 70%...
EJ33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2016, 09:09 PM   #23
MadSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ33 View Post
What was the record under just Mike White and Mackovic? I'm guessing closer to 70%...
I did it quick so forgive me if there are mistakes, but it looks like:

49-19-2 (.717)
MadSeason is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:27 AM   #24
champaignchris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post

49-19-2 (.717)
Blackman's teams weren't far behind, 20-11-1 (.641).
champaignchris is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2016, 07:48 AM   #25
HoustonIllini
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post

49-19-2 (.717)
I was lucky to start following Illinois football when I moved to Illinois in 1982 after finishing my first 7 years of military service. I was a fan from the minute I stepped on campus as a transfer student, and had the pleasure of watching the beloved during the White & Mackovic years, so I thought we ALWAYS had a rich tradition of winning football. Little did I konw . . . Only after I graduated in '85 did I learn of some of the history BMT (Before My Time) and figure out that we actually had a pretty poor winning football tradition. Since then, we've been pretty pathetic

I still love football, and yearn for the to come back and restore winning to our teams. I've earned to be patient with my kids, and I'll continue to be patient with Lovie.
HoustonIllini is offline Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Fighting Illini Football | Next Thread »