Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Basketball

Indiana 96, Illinois 80 POSTGAME

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Dan
Admin
Dan's Avatar
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 34,636





Last edited by Dan; Jan 7, 2017 at 07:46 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:10 PM   #2
LouAlcinder
Posts: 168
Watch the film and see how many defensive breakdowns there were, we are absolutely terrible on defense. The coaches need to see this and make changes. Definition of Insanity....
LouAlcinder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:12 PM   #3
txillini11
Banned
Posts: 187
Only thing that is painfully obvious is Lucas needs to be starting. Kipper needs more playing time too. Also the terrible defense needs to be fixed.
txillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Cheez
Cheez's Avatar
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by txillini11 View Post
Only thing that is painfully obvious is Lucas needs to be starting. Kipper needs more playing time too. Also the terrible defense needs to be fixed.
There's no fixing the defense, but I agree with the rest. Kipper needs to be in the rotation, and Te'Jon should start over Tate.
Cheez is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:14 PM   #5
DoctorOrange
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 98
Good to get Lucas and Kipper more PT. 3 Fouls on Hill and no defense in first half hurt. Groce's seat notched up a few degrees.
DoctorOrange is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 6,894
Whatever
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:15 PM   #7
TriCityBurbs
Posts: 358
Outscored 16-2 to start. Down 19 at the half, Malcolm 3 early fouls killed us. With him and TJL on the floor we cut it to 10. Kipper needs to get more minutes, kid has a major motor.

1. MH
2.JCL
3.KN
4.LB
5.MM

Let Malcolm bring the bball up, those are the 5 guys that play the hardest-they should play the most minutes. Give TJL, DJW, MF, TA minutes and spot minutes for MT.
TriCityBurbs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:18 PM   #8
VAIllini35
Posts: 2,133
Welp, we beat them in the 2nd half i guess...
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:19 PM   #9
sunman
sunman's Avatar
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityBurbs View Post
Outscored 16-2 to start. Down 19 at the half, Malcolm 3 early fouls killed us. With him and TJL on the floor we cut it to 10. Kipper needs to get more minutes, kid has a major motor.

1. MH
2.JCL
3.KN
4.LB
5.MM

Let Malcolm bring the bball up, those are the 5 guys that play the hardest-they should play the most minutes. Give TJL, DJW, MF, TA minutes and spot minutes for MT.
I thought it was 9
sunman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:19 PM   #10
whovous
Posts: 1,457
Groce played twelve players today. If you give more tick to Kipper, Tejon & DJW, then who do you take the minutes from? Or do you keep playing twelve?
whovous is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:20 PM   #11
GortTheRobot
Location: North Bethesda, Maryland
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second and Chalmers View Post
Whatever
I know full well this comment is going to be attacked, but how many of us, beyond the interest of really looking at why we fail in the ways we do, just feel this way about where we are?

I believe we will still have a few "ups" that give us a glimmer of what could be, but, ultimately, we are looking at a reboot. We do have some very good parts, that a decent coach could string together to make a tourney team.
GortTheRobot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:20 PM   #12
CasualObserver05
Posts: 151
Glass is half full -- Scored 80 points on the road after an incredibly slow start.

NO ONE at any point when the schedule was released had this as a W.

We still don't have a loss in the BIG that we aren't supposed to lose.

VERY IMPORTANT to protect home court the next 2 games. Huge 2 game stretch for NCAA chances.
CasualObserver05 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:21 PM   #13
radiodj
Location: Houston
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
Gee. Wonder what was different about that half.
All the fouls being called and FT's being shot.
radiodj is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:21 PM   #14
JIllini
Posts: 173
I can live with the effort in the second half. It was the horrible start that did us in and lack of defense. Granted, IU was on fire from three. I don't think this game is any reason to panic. Could have been a lot uglier but we responded even though it was too late. We have to beat Michigan though.
JIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:22 PM   #15
Chris Yates
Recruiting Correspondent
Chris Yates's Avatar
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,020
Welp, looks like our best shot at the NCAA tournament requires 9 B1G home wins and a run in the B1G tournament because we aren't going to win a road game in league play by spotting each opponent 20 points in the first half.

__________________
Last living member of Olaf Blab fan club

Tweeting at @CPY87
Chris Yates is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:23 PM   #16
CoalCity
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 849
Kipper appeared to have a clue and he's relentless. TJL really could have used some minutes earlier in the season but let's hope he sees the floor a lot more going forward. Mav needs to be on the floor as much as he can handle. Malcolm's new aggressive play is really good to see. Too hard he picked up those fouls so early, might have made a difference today. Sadly AJ and DJW didn't contribute much.

Tracy
JCL
MH
LB
MM

First and second off the bench:. TJL and KN. MF next.
CoalCity is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:24 PM   #17
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Yates View Post
Welp, looks like our best shot at the NCAA tournament requires 9 B1G home wins and a run in the B1G tournament because we aren't going to win a road game in league play by spotting each opponent 20 points in the first half.
I don't think we're planning on playing 75% our first half minutes without Malcolm.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:24 PM   #18
TCTORNADO
Posts: 9,453
Maverick Morgan is on target to finish in the top 5 or 6 career all time FG% leaders.
TCTORNADO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:26 PM   #19
JMAC8504
Location: Formerly Danville, Il. Now Langley AFB, VA/ Camp Bucca Iraq
Posts: 21
We were just ill-prepared to start the game and got punched in the mouth, which should have been anticipated. Good adjustment in the second half, but still bad preparation! We need more ball movement to open up the mid-range game for black, which will open more looks for Mav and more pick and pops for jcl and TA. And our close-outs still suck.
JMAC8504 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:27 PM   #20
Second and Chalmers
Second and Chalmers's Avatar
Posts: 6,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTORNADO View Post
Maverick Morgan is on target to finish in the top 5 or 6 career all time FG% leaders.
He is a tremendous offensive post player.

The other end though...mercy.
Second and Chalmers is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:27 PM   #21
sunman
sunman's Avatar
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveStar View Post
But his development has been awful!
Well. I will say that his defense is still bad.
sunman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:29 PM   #22
jmwillini
Location: Tolono, IL
Posts: 687
I had to work this afternoon and turned on the game down 34-12, I believe, and thought here we go again. We made a nice comeback, but...

We have no identity. Nothing we can hang our hat on. Nothing we do well every game, or at least most games. I don't know what Groce's vision on offense or defense is. He can recruit well and is a great face for the program, but his in game decision making is very questionable. He needs his own version of Wayne McClain.

I want the guy to win and be here a long time. I have a picture of him with my grandkids. He interrupted his lunch to do it. I just have a bad feeling it isn't going to end well.
jmwillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:29 PM   #23
VAIllini35
Posts: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
Kipper appeared to have a clue and he's relentless. TJL really could have used some minutes earlier in the season but let's hope he sees the floor a lot more going forward. Mav needs to be on the floor as much as he can handle. Malcolm's new aggressive play is really good to see. Too hard he picked up those fouls so early, might have made a difference today. Sadly AJ and DJW didn't contribute much.

Tracy
JCL
MH
LB
MM

First and second off the bench:. TJL and KN. MF next.
Agree - but I could see a TJL, TA, JCL MH, MM combo as well when JCL comes off the bench. Net is - our D is so suspect - we need as many scorers on the floor as possible. Hopefully LB regains his sweet spot.
VAIllini35 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:29 PM   #24
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Posts: 13,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCity View Post
Sadly AJ and DJW didn't contribute much.
Hey, AJ made our first FG of the game!
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2017, 06:29 PM   #25
FiveStar
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC8504 View Post
We were just ill-prepared to start the game and got punched in the mouth, which should have been anticipated. Good adjustment in the second half, but still bad preparation! We need more ball movement to open up the mid-range game for black, which will open more looks for Mav and more pick and pops for jcl and TA. And our close-outs still suck.
Should really adjust the game plan. Trying to get Malcolm 3 first half fouls in 3 minutes was not the right recipe at the start. Brandon Miller would have known that.
FiveStar is offline Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Forum Jump