Go Back   Fighting Illini Forums > Sports > Fighting Illini Football

Illinois Football Uniforms

Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:22 AM   #1
redwingillini11
So it seems that there is a new football uniform set in the works, to be delivered for the 2018 season I believe. The biggest visible change it seems would be the colors of the numbers. Blue numbers on orange, orange numbers on blue, and maybe blue on white. The jersey numbers might also be slanted and closer to the modern Illinois font rather than the current rounder numbers. It seemed that the Shield would be off of the collar. I've also heard that Lovie isn't a huge fan of the shield, and likes to keep it simple with the I.
redwingillini11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:05 PM   #2
HR217
Possible Sneak peak here in the thumbnail for this article. Don't need to read the article.

http://www.scout.com/college/illinoi...s-illini-visit
HR217 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2017, 03:16 PM   #3
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingillini11 View Post
So it seems that there is a new football uniform set in the works, to be delivered for the 2018 season I believe. The biggest visible change it seems would be the colors of the numbers. Blue numbers on orange, orange numbers on blue, and maybe blue on white. The jersey numbers might also be slanted and closer to the modern Illinois font rather than the current rounder numbers. It seemed that the Shield would be off of the collar. I've also heard that Lovie isn't a huge fan of the shield, and likes to keep it simple with the I.
It's hard without seeing it, but based on your description I am unenthused about each and every one of those changes.

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Jeffers_10
#Oneofthe17
Can't see the image you're referring to. Care to post a screenshot?

Old Jun 21, 2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Dan
Admin
As some have noticed, slight change to our helmets this year.
https://twitter.com/IlliniFootball/s...79000759537664

Last edited by Dan; Jun 21, 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2017, 02:21 PM   #6
CHI 1086
We Ready
Kinda reminds me of a soccer ball....
CHI 1086 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2017, 07:52 AM   #7
georgeuremovich
Quote:
I hope not, block numerals would be preferrable.

Old Jun 28, 2017, 07:58 AM   #8
Illiini
Quote:
I've also heard that Lovie isn't a huge fan of the shield, and likes to keep it simple with the I.
I can't believe anyone likes the shield...except those who were paid to come up with it.
Illiini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2017, 08:12 AM   #9
WesterveltVictoryCigar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiini View Post
I can't believe anyone likes the shield...except those who were paid to come up with it.
#teamshield batsignal
WesterveltVictoryCigar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2017, 09:06 AM   #10
BananaShampoo
Captain 'Paign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiini View Post
I still like it as long as it's not the main focal point of a uniform or design. #teamshield

Old Jun 28, 2017, 09:55 AM   #11
mattcoldagelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterveltVictoryCigar View Post
#teamshield batsignal
[answers the call]

@mattcoldagelli

mattcoldagelli is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:16 PM   #12
james81
Athlon Sports ranks Illinois Uniforms as the third best in the BIG behind Michigan and Penn State. Indiana took the bottom spot.

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ll-uniforms#13
james81 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:43 AM   #13
orangeroses07
I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but the only thing they need to change is the shade of orange on those helmets. The uniforms are near perfection.

Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:30 AM   #14
tyrannosaurus scorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
I know i'm beating a dead horse here, but the only thing they need to change is the shade of orange on those helmets. The uniforms are near perfection.
Agreed, they look really sharp. The football rebrand was miles better than basketball imho
tyrannosaurus scorus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2017, 07:25 PM   #15
Hollywood
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeroses07 View Post
Agreed - the orange helmets are a big fail - go with illini orange, not rust orange, and if you want special event helmet go with chrome illini orange
Hollywood is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2017, 03:48 PM   #16
Double Down
Looks like we are returning to the block I. Keeping the shield as a secondary logo. I am sure this will have some impact on our uniforms...

https://twitter.com/Illinois_Alma/st...71207551950848
Double Down is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2017, 04:21 PM   #17
DrewD007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
Looks like we are returning to the block I. Keeping the shield as a secondary logo. I am sure this will have some impact on our uniforms...

https://twitter.com/Illinois_Alma/st...71207551950848
The University is just adopting the block I as it's logo and eliminating the column I logo. Should have no affect on athletics branding.
DrewD007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2017, 08:01 PM   #18
DeadPanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD007 View Post
The University is just adopting the block I as it's logo and eliminating the column I logo. Should have no affect on athletics branding.
Yeah, that announcement has literally nothing to do with Illinois Athletics.
DeadPanic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:26 AM   #19
KRSAS
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by james81 View Post
Athlon Sports ranks Illinois Uniforms as the third best in the BIG behind Michigan and Penn State. Indiana took the bottom spot.

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ll-uniforms#13

I always thought our uniforms looked pretty sharp, now the 2003-2005 football uniforms were downright atrocious! The 2008 throwbacks will always be my favorite! Illinois needs to have more throwback games! Anyone else feeling it??????
KRSAS is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:28 PM   #20
blmillini
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSAS View Post
I always thought our uniforms looked pretty sharp, now the 2003-2005 football uniforms were downright atrocious! The 2008 throwbacks will always be my favorite! Illinois needs to have more throwback games! Anyone else feeling it??????
I almost always hate the throwbacks and think they have been used far too much by all teams in recent years.
blmillini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2017, 06:48 PM   #21
Branson53
Looks like OBO for this first game. I kind of miss the stripes on the helmet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Branson53 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2017, 08:56 AM   #22
ChiefIllini
How long is it going to take to get rid of the freakin' metallic orange. Its so ugly and has almost nothing to do with our color scheme. If they want a metallic color so bad brighten it up a bit
ChiefIllini is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:35 PM   #23
Hawk19
While I think the new FB uniforms look great overall, I'm still not loving the helmet logo situation. The logo is a major upgrade over the slant ILLINOIS, but I think there's still room for improvement. Was just playing around today with a couple ideas, and thought it might look cool if the was moved to the back of the helmet (with or without the triple stripe), and the sides have the Butkus era number and stars. I also think that if they ever go back to using pride stickers that feathers would be better than the shape of the state of Illinois. Any thoughts? (Excuse the very amateur graphic design work)
Attached Thumbnails (click for larger image)
(652.6 KB, 172 views)
  (169.6 KB, 149 views)

Hawk19 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2017, 01:57 PM   #24
icengineer
I like it!
icengineer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2017, 02:00 PM   #25
Dren1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk19 View Post
While I think the new FB uniforms look great overall, I'm still not loving the helmet logo situation. The logo is a major upgrade over the slant ILLINOIS, but I think there's still room for improvement. Was just playing around today with a couple ideas, and thought it might look cool if the was moved to the back of the helmet (with or without the triple stripe), and the sides have the Butkus era number and stars. I also think that if they ever go back to using pride stickers that feathers would be better than the shape of the state of Illinois. Any thoughts? (Excuse the very amateur graphic design work)
I like your design for the most part. IMO, the use of feathers as pride stickers would never fly (see what I did there?) due to the obvious ties with Native American imagery that the university is moving away from.
Dren1 is offline Reply With Quote