2017-18 Illini Tennis

Hiltzik played in futures in Texas this week. Won first round main draw match so maybe that's why. OSU's McNally lost first round and made it to Michigan for ITA. OSU's JJ Wolf was 1 seed at ITA but pulled out as he's in Futures final this weekend in Texas.

They are not. I think Gomes was in original draw I saw?

I saw an early draw that also had Hiltzik. Of course, it also had Vukic and Kiger playing for us as well!!

Four youngsters on to the round of 16: Clark, Brown, Kovacevic and Khlif. Khlif is playing well as of late.

Kovacevic and Clark up a set, Brown and Khlif down a set. All very close sets. Michigan live feed pretty good although there isn't scoreboard integration. Maybe that's due to no chair umpires today.

Watching Kovacevic frustrate OSU (and Hinsdale Central) Joyce. Go Illini!!!

Still, a nice run by the youngsters. Going to be interesting to see who plays for us in the down ticket slots. I watched Clark and Brown in their doubles match vs. the top ranked Michigan duo. They seem to compliment each other well. Brown with a nice serve and Clark strong at the net. We need to find some reliable doubles teams this year.

Looks like Kiger committed to UNC. I know Brian Cernoch was seriously considering Illinois as well before committing to UNC...seems like they have the recruiting edge at the moment. Anybody know what happened with Kiger? Anybody know recruits we are targeting for 2018?

Any guess on lineup for this season?

My projection for lineup this year:

Vukic
Hiltzik
Kova
Gui
Clark
Khlif? Brown? Peng? Budic?

Doubles:
Vukic and Budic
Kova and Hiltzik
Brown and Clark or Brown and Clark

Could be way off on doubles

Looks like Kiger committed to UNC. I know Brian Cernoch was seriously considering Illinois as well before committing to UNC...seems like they have the recruiting edge at the moment. Anybody know what happened with Kiger? Anybody know recruits we are targeting for 2018?

I was going to predict that when he didn't show up. I figured if he played at another school it would be UNC. It is apparent from his social media that he was a big Tar Heel fan. My guess is that he didn't get an offer from them, but when his results improved dramatically they reconsidered. Their program has been very good for a while.

Illinois does have two commitments for next year's class - a five star from Illinois and a four star from Florida. Neither look to be huge impact guys at this point.

Last edited:
I noticed that Kiger was playing pretty well over the summer. I also read that he got into a heated battle with Ulises Blanch in Harlingen. Who knows how he would have gelled with our current squad.

Anyone know if either Kypson or Nefve are considering Illinois?

I was going to predict that when he didn't show up. I figured if he played at another school it would be UNC. It is apparent from his social media that he was a big Tar Heel fan. My guess is that he didn't get an offer from them, but when his results improved dramatically they reconsidered. Their program has been very good for a while.

Illinois does have two commitments for next year's class - a five star from Illinois and a four star from Florida. Neither look to be huge impact guys at this point.

Here are the recruits for next year:
https://tennisrecruiting.net/team.asp?id=75

Horve is ranked #75 and Cacciatore is #85.

I was going to ask the same thing. I know that no one sends their top guys to the B10 Indoor but not sending anyone seems strange. Is Gui injured? I haven't heard/read anything about him in a while.

Gui

I was going to ask the same thing. I know that no one sends their top guys to the B10 Indoor but not sending anyone seems strange. Is Gui injured? I haven't heard/read anything about him in a while.

Good question. I didn't see any activity over the summer for Gui.

Horve and family bleed orange and blue. Great kid (and family). He has worked his tail off to continue to improve. He was more or less committed a year ago and worked his national TRN ranking up from low 100s to as high as 40s. His ranking has settled back a bit to where it is right now and that's probably about right.

His UTR is ok but he is going to have to continue to work to crack the top 6. But he isn't afraid of the work.

B1G indoor tourney page has Illinois as participating so I'm not sure why we aren't there. Minnesota, Wisconsin & Nebraska were not participating according to that site.

Aside from Vukic (who was in the qualifying draw in Charlottesville), is anyone competing this week? No one qualified for the ITA Fall National Championship. I know the golf team is making a statement again at East Lake, but it seems like the tennis team has been very quiet.

Aside from Vukic (who was in the qualifying draw in Charlottesville), is anyone competing this week? No one qualified for the ITA Fall National Championship. I know the golf team is making a statement again at East Lake, but it seems like the tennis team has been very quiet.

Vuk & Noe only players in Dickie V draws (men & women). They dropped a 9-8 opening round doubles match to Princeton.
Vuk lost opening round match 6-7, 6-4, 6-2 to FGCU. Noe won his opening round match 6 & 4 over Auburn. Noe now plays Michigan's Davis Crocker. Crocker played some #5 but mainly #6 last year for Michigan. He didn't play in the Illini regular season victory but beat Noe 6 & 4 in Michigan's B1G tourney semifinal win over Illini.
Vuk's back draw match is against 4 seed who was upset by Michigan's Gabe Tishman.

Vuk & Noe only players in Dickie V draws (men & women). They dropped a 9-8 opening round doubles match to Princeton.
Vuk lost opening round match 6-7, 6-4, 6-2 to FGCU. Noe won his opening round match 6 & 4 over Auburn. Noe now plays Michigan's Davis Crocker. Crocker played some #5 but mainly #6 last year for Michigan. He didn't play in the Illini regular season victory but beat Noe 6 & 4 in Michigan's B1G tourney semifinal win over Illini.
Vuk's back draw match is against 4 seed who was upset by Michigan's Gabe Tishman.

Thanks, 86. Is there a bracket posted somewhere?

I L L ...

Noe beat Crocker 6 & 1!!!

I'm guessing Noe's game is good on the clay and this is a clay court tournament.

The link does work for me. Khlif has played well through the summer and fall. Where do you see him in the lineup this year?

Depending on health I instantly agreed with the lineup posted above by ChiefIlliniwek05 when I saw it.
I think the team really missed Jiang last year. If he’s healthy he is probably in doubles lineup and battling Khlif for #6. He was 16-13 in doubles as a freshman. Played a lot with Jared but still he was solid. Team could use some doubles stability.

Last edited: