2017-18 Illini Tennis

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
The ladies took down Florida State 4-1. All four freshmen played in doubles, and 3 freshmen played singles at 1, 3 and 4. 1 and 3 won, 4 would have won if they played it out. The main thing is, these ladies can hit! Three of the four are small, but pack a lot of punch. Time will tell, but first look was impressive.

Talk about irony, before the match, FSU got in a huddle and sang their war chant.

The ladies took down Florida State 4-1. All four freshmen played in doubles, and 3 freshmen played singles at 1, 3 and 4. 1 and 3 won, 4 would have won if they played it out. The main thing is, these ladies can hit! Three of the four are small, but pack a lot of punch. Time will tell, but first look was impressive.

Talk about irony, before the match, FSU got in a huddle and sang their war chant.

Girls looked good. Also beat EIU 7-0 this afternoon. Some concern that Ines didn't dress.

Excellent article.
Sort of reminds me of Calipari.
Build a program around what the player wants (pro aspirations) and watch the results roll in.

The customer is always right :thumb:

Illini 1 Oklahoma 0

Vukic & Budic drop #1 again but picked up by Chakravarthi & Brown at #3 7-6.

First sets as follows:
1 Vukic
2 Hiltzik
3 Brown
4 OU over Kovacevic
5 OU over Clark
6 Chakravarhti

Illini 4 Oklahoma 1

Illini defeat #18 on their home court.

Straight set wins by Hiltzik and Chakravarthi, 3 set win by Brown. Vukic was up 4-3 in 3rd and Clark was up in 3rd.

Illini 4 Oklahoma 1

Illini defeat #18 on their home court.

Straight set wins by Hiltzik and Chakravarthi, 3 set win by Brown. Vukic was up 4-3 in 3rd and Clark was up in 3rd.
Hiltzik took down a tough cookie and made it look easy. Maybe he has his mojo back.

Hiltzik took down a tough cookie and made it look easy. Maybe he has his mojo back.

Fantastic win for Aron. I really thought his match against Calvo would be a battle. I was also impressed with Brown and Caleb both in singles and especially in doubles. This team should be able to compete with anyone in the country in singles. The doubles point is going to be crucial to win the big matches.

Anyone know where Gui is? I'm assuming Khlif was in a battle for the 6 spot and Caleb is just playing better at the moment. The Gomes disappearance is a mystery, unless he is injured, he was playing #3 last year.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Fantastic win for Aron. I really thought his match against Calvo would be a battle. I was also impressed with Brown and Caleb both in singles and especially in doubles. This team should be able to compete with anyone in the country in singles. The doubles point is going to be crucial to win the big matches.

Anyone know where Gui is? I'm assuming Khlif was in a battle for the 6 spot and Caleb is just playing better at the moment. The Gomes disappearance is a mystery, unless he is injured, he was playing #3 last year.

I believe that a previous post mentioned that Gomes is injured.

Illini 1 Oklahoma 0

Vukic & Budic drop #1 again but picked up by Chakravarthi & Brown at #3 7-6.

First sets as follows:
1 Vukic
2 Hiltzik
3 Brown
4 OU over Kovacevic
5 OU over Clark
6 Chakravarhti

I know the season just started and lineups aren't set in stone, but I'm a bit surprised that Hiltzik hasn't been in the doubles lineup. He won a futures doubles title with Nevolo a few months ago.

I hadn't heard that Gui was hurt but I didn't see anything about him competing though the summer. Khlif had a good summer and I thought he would be in the starting lineup, but Caleb had a good summer too. I wonder if Khlif wouldn't be a better doubles partner for Vukic than Budic is.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Big road matches with Duke tonight and UNC on Saturday. I'm expecting a victory against the Blue Devils but the Illini doubles will have to step up big-time to win in Chapel Hill.

Hmmm...haven't seen that post. Redshirt?

I saw Gomes, Khlif and Landa at the women's meet tonight. Landa was on crutches. I heard a girl ask Gomes about his shoulder and he responded that it was coming around. Both Gomes and Khlif looked like they were walking fine, which has no bearing on their ability to play tennis.

Girls looked good against the #11 Texas team. We couldn't touch their top two players but took them in the down lineup positions. Inez wasn't dressed and limped noticeably. I am guessing that she must be redshirting.

Big road matches with Duke tonight and UNC on Saturday. I'm expecting a victory against the Blue Devils but the Illini doubles will have to step up big-time to win in Chapel Hill.

NC has a higher ranked player at about every position. Their guy at #1 is ranked second in the country. Good opportunity for Aleks to prove his mettle.

Edit: Kiger, who decommited from us this summer is on the roster at NC. Hasn't played much there yet.

Kiger has played doubles in every match (#2 & #3) and played #5 & #6 singles in their first three matches against lesser competition.

http://goheels.com/news/2018/1/30/mens-tennis-tar-heel-duo-earns-acc-honor.aspx

Great win for the ladies last night. It would be amazing to see both of these programs in the top 10 (hopefully soon).

I’m expecting to see Kiger at 3 doubles tonight. Hopefully that will provide our freshman doubles team with some extra motivation to kick some !!!. It’s great to see this year’s squad winning doubles points...tonight will probably come down to the doubles point. Maybe our 1 doubles finally wakes up?

Blumberg vs Vukic should be a fun match. Vukic dominated Blumberg last year in Champaign, but Blumberg made a run to the finals of the NCAA singles tournament. I’m sure Blumberg will have revenge in mind.