2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Wouldn't coach's kids get a full ride because their parent is on staff at the University? Couldn't both of his kids technically be walk-ons?

I think they would get discounted tuition since dad is an employee of the University. That's how it works here.

As someone who follows ISU closely I wanted to chime in on McIntosh. I saw a lot of people referring to him as a "big". While he has good size at 6'7" (listed at least) and 235 lbs he definitely has an NBA body. He's a small forward though with how he plays. He's a perimeter based player. He isn't a true post player. Even on defense he's normally guarding a perimeter player (when in man defense).

He's got great athletic ability and can get down in the paint and rebound and he's great at coming off the weak side in help situations and blocking shots. However even in the Valley you would rarely see him guarding another team's post player down on the block. Could he fill in and do that in certain situations? Yes, but you wouldn't him doing that as his primary role.

On offense he definitely is good at catching the ball on the wing then having the strength to back guys all the way into the paint and either getting the ball to the basket or he's developed a nice step back jumper off that move from around the free throw line area. His outside shooting has really improved but can be streaky. He's not going to post up guys on the block who are bigger than him and serve as a true post player on offense.

I just wanted to give my own scouting report on him and am hopeful that he does transfer to Illinois because it would be great to be able to keep seeing him play in person and playing for another team I follow and root for.

I was wondering with these Graduate Transfers if the players can be recruited and commit before they officially graduate. If they can't then it would a while before McIntosh could pick his new school since I believe he won't graduate until after some summer classes are complete.

As someone who follows ISU closely I wanted to chime in on McIntosh. I saw a lot of people referring to him as a "big". While he has good size at 6'7" (listed at least) and 235 lbs he definitely has an NBA body. He's a small forward though with how he plays. He's a perimeter based player. He isn't a true post player. Even on defense he's normally guarding a perimeter player (when in man defense).

He's got great athletic ability and can get down in the paint and rebound and he's great at coming off the weak side in help situations and blocking shots. However even in the Valley you would rarely see him guarding another team's post player down on the block. Could he fill in and do that in certain situations? Yes, but you wouldn't him doing that as his primary role.

On offense he definitely is good at catching the ball on the wing then having the strength to back guys all the way into the paint and either getting the ball to the basket or he's developed a nice step back jumper off that move from around the free throw line area. His outside shooting has really improved but can be streaky. He's not going to post up guys on the block who are bigger than him and serve as a true post player on offense.

I just wanted to give my own scouting report on him and am hopeful that he does transfer to Illinois because it would be great to be able to keep seeing him play in person and playing for another team I follow and root for.

I was wondering with these Graduate Transfers if the players can be recruited and commit before they officially graduate. If they can't then it would a while before McIntosh could pick his new school since I believe he won't graduate until after some summer classes are complete.

McIntosh would play the four in our offense. However, our offense is almost four guards. He would split time with Nichols, imo.
C Finke, Black
F McIntosh, Nichols
G Smith, Jordan, DJ Williams
G JCL, Da Williams
G Lucas, Frazier

I think DJ is more talented than Jordan, but until he shows it night in and night out, I put him behind Jordan.

We need another big. Someone in the 6-9+ range.

Frazier could easily be a starter but I give Lucas the early nod based on experience. If Smith has the ball in his hands most of the time, though, I see Frazier more effective off the ball than Lucas. Lucas is most effective with the ball in his hands, too.

Back to McIntosh, if he is eligible to transfer as a fifth year, he would be a good get. We will have competition for him including Wisconsin and Minnesota in the BT.

Also, on the redbirdfan board (Illinois State), a few fans are saying that they have heard that McIntosh signed with an agent. Accidentally. Not sure how you do that, if true.

Deleted member 186590

D
Agau will be like a super model walking into a bar... but we should definitely chase him. The downside is he graduates with MF and LB the same time. We will have a huge hole by then.

It's funny when a guy averaging 4 ppg is a super model in the transfer market! But I agree with you, he will have a long list to choose from!

He's what we need a defensive and rebounding presence. He's just become our #1 priority in my mind. Rooks could be an option with a long list as well, but we need one of them for sure, it's almost a "must get one of them" right now.

As others have pointed out, the ISU transfer is not really a post defender or rebounder, so would be a good get for us, but doesn't solve the problem.

It's funny when a guy averaging 4 ppg is a super model in the transfer market! But I agree with you, he will have a long list to choose from!

He's what we need a defensive and rebounding presence. He's just become our #1 priority in my mind. Rooks could be an option with a long list as well, but we need one of them for sure, it's almost a "must get one of them" right now.

As others have pointed out, the ISU transfer is not really a post defender or rebounder, so would be a good get for us, but doesn't solve the problem.

We have room for two fifth year guys. So if McIntosh was available and wanted to come, you take him to share the four with Nichols and take a center type, too.

Not Rooks, I hope. He can barely get up and down the court these days.

McIntosh would play the four in our offense. However, our offense is almost four guards. He would split time with Nichols, imo.
C Finke, Black
F McIntosh, Nichols
G Smith, Jordan, DJ Williams
G JCL, Da Williams
G Lucas, Frazier

I think DJ is more talented than Jordan, but until he shows it night in and night out, I put him behind Jordan.

We need another big. Someone in the 6-9+ range.

Frazier could easily be a starter but I give Lucas the early nod based on experience. If Smith has the ball in his hands most of the time, though, I see Frazier more effective off the ball than Lucas. Lucas is most effective with the ball in his hands, too.

Back to McIntosh, if he is eligible to transfer as a fifth year, he would be a good get. We will have competition for him including Wisconsin and Minnesota in the BT.

I definitely agree. While he would play the "4" in BU's offense he wouldn't fit the mold of a classic "4" as far as a back to the basket on offense, post defender/rebounder/big man on defense.

I have seen the rumors of Wisconsin and Minnesota too and both make sense. Wisconsin just hired Dean Oliver as an assistant coach away from ISU so there is that connection. Then with Minnesota Reggie Lynch is there after transferring from ISU although I don't know how close those guys were with each other while at ISU so don't know how much influence he'd have in getting him there.

Deleted member 186590

D
Not Rooks, I hope. He can barely get up and down the court these days.

I hear you, but he did start and play 19 minutes in their NIT game. He's not completely broken down. If this was the '89 team and he would be the Uwe Blab slowing down the team, I would agree with you. But, we need a big man that can spell Finke and be a presence in the paint. He would fit that.

I agree with your point that we can take multiple grad transfers, so I don't think we're turning down Rooks if he wants to come here.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Also, on the redbirdfan board (Illinois State), a few fans are saying that they have heard that McIntosh signed with an agent. Accidentally. Not sure how you do that, if true.

I went to Walmart last week. Next thing you know I'm signing up for a 30-year fixed rate mortgage on a house I couldn't afford on two of my salaries. This stuff happens.

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY
I would have liked Bragg based on his talent and production in limited minutes. Though it seems like we had reason not to pursue him (hopefully not the weed arrest because who cares).

VIoUifk21oQVrv_6_hd.jpg

I would have liked Bragg based on his talent and production in limited minutes. Though it seems like we had reason not to pursue him (hopefully not the weed arrest because who cares).

Now Purplestain can make up a Tweet like he did with Moore :eek:

Former Kansas player Bragg picks Arizona State over Illinois

Why is Chastain leaving Loyola? He was getting playing time before the injury. Wonder what changed.