2017 Basketball Transfer Thread

Add Agau and Alstork and you set us up for a decent upcoming year. Plus, it guarantees you have at least 3 open scholarships for 2018 (Alstork graduating), maybe 4 depending on if Agau gets a 2nd year. I think ideally it would be great if Agau could qualify for a 2nd year since we will be in desperate need of bigs next year as well.

Deleted member 186590

D
This is big. Haven't seen that he has set any other visits. At some point you'd think that a transfer big would recognize the opportunity available here. Maybe that someone is Agau.

Agreed - he'd be playing 22+ minutes a game right away I would think in a 3 man rotation with Finke and Black. He would be the team's best shot blocker and post defender by far and on the plus side, he's a very good free throw shooter!

It would certainly seem like a no brainer for him - let's not let him get away!

Kinda funny no activity then, here we go, both would be great but make sure they know that BU is calling the shots. We need experience and size, but they need to join to be part of the plan. Would look alot better on paper. Good luck staff, hope these guys are what we looking for.:illinois:

jmwillini

Tolono, IL
If we get Agua, we will finally have proof that recruiting is fluid.

Sorry, I'll show myself out.

Oskee67

Champaign
Can someone remind me why people are excited about Agau, besides the fact that we need bodies down low? Career stats of 3 pts, 3 rebs, and .5 blocks per game leave much to be desired...

Can someone remind me why people are excited about Agau, besides the fact that we need bodies down low? Career stats of 3 pts, 3 rebs, and .5 blocks per game leave much to be desired...

He was a top 75 player coming out of high school. His stats do leave much to be desired, but like others mentioned he'd immediately be our best post defender and 2nd best rebounder. He's big and pretty athletic.

Deleted member 631370

D

My sources are telling me that the NCAA is going to reject Mike Finke's request to be exempt from the 5-foul limit, so we probably need another big who can log some minutes and accumulate some fouls.

I'm also hearing that Leron is not going to get the foul waiver from the NCAA, either.

:(

I think those stats are misleading. He averaged 4.5 points and 4.3 rebounds a game last year coming off the bench for 15 minutes. For a full time starter, that comes out to 9/9, which is pretty dang good for someone who presumably doesn't require a lot of touches.

With 0 depth in the front court for 2017-18, a slightly more experienced player like Agau makes a lot of sense as he 1) won't have to sit out a year and 2) won't occupy a scholarship for more than 2 years.

I know very little about his game, and how that translates into a BU system, but a commitment here would make me a lot less nervous about the DJ transfer

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.

Because the Golden Girls sport a taller starting 5 than the Fighting Illini as the roster currently stands?

There were only 4, but I needed to make that joke.

Deleted member 186590

D

As others have said, he's physically ready to play right away which we won't find in a freshman recruit. He likely fits BU's system better than someone like Rooks and he's more of a banger down low than someone like McIntosh.

So, other than JT coming back (he's not coming back), Agau is last hope for some size down low that can rebound and defend and he likely has upside as a scoring threat down low as well. He's never going to be the focal point of the offense, but he did get to the line at a much higher rate than Black or Finke last year, which tells me he's more aggressive.

I think everyone is excited because he would solve the major worry about size for the next two years, while providing some upside that it clicks for him and he starts to realize his potential.

Agau and Alstork and call it a class?

Really see no reason to call it a class at that point. I see no harm in reaching on some 5th year guys to round out the roster. Gets you practice depth, doesn't mess with your future schollie situation, and maybe you get lucky and find a usable guy.

Put another way, he basically provided double the rebound and block production of Maverick Morgan on a per-possession basis. Since that's what he's primarily being brought in to do, I'd be pretty happy if he could do it here.