2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#7,276      
We're a top 20 program? After missing the Dance 5 years in a row? We used to be a top 20 program, but not now, not by any stretch of the imaginatioin.

This is debated on here often but there really is no debate. Illinois is statistically a top 15 program all time in the categories that matter. And it actually has the highest all time win percentage of any current B1G team. If we've been a top 15 program for 100+ years it's very reasonable to expect for us to return to that mean.

#7,277      
We're a top 20 program? After missing the Dance 5 years in a row? We used to be a top 20 program, but not now, not by any stretch of the imaginatioin.

Yes, with our resources we're a top 20 program. Also, historically a top 20 program. And we'll be a top 20 program in your VERY short-term and shortsighted analysis when we have a decent coach.

#7,278      
Didn't the Nebraska AD make a comment or something in support of Miles? I believe they had mentioned something during the Nebraska-Illini game.

Kiss of death maybe? Two sources of a sports guy in the area saying more likely than not. Not definitive but not looking good.

#7,280      
This is debated on here often but there really is no debate. Illinois is statistically a top 15 program all time in the categories that matter. And it actually has the highest all time win percentage of any current B1G team. If we've been a top 15 program for 100+ years it's very reasonable to expect for us to return to that mean.

History shows potential of the program. However, our positive history is highly skewed towards earlier successes whereas impact of history is highly skewed towards recent successes. In recent years (12 years), we have become irrelevant in college basketball.

#7,281      
History shows potential of the program. However, our positive history is highly skewed towards earlier successes whereas impact of history is highly skewed towards recent successes. In recent years (12 years), we have become irrelevant in college basketball.

Yep and the return to relevance is anything but guaranteed

#7,282      

Illini4Reel

Champaign, IL.
If Groce is actually coming back like many have said, why doesn't Whitman voice his support this weekend? Penn State has done it already......

Sandy Barbour announced that Pat Chambers will return as @PennStateMBB coach next season.
@OnwardState

#7,283      

Jkat00

Champaign, IL

giphy.gif

#7,284      
Is the speculation that if Groce returns we lose 1 possibly 2 players to transfer?

If we lose 2 that would leave us with 9 scholarship players next season unless we add some grad transfers. Isn't this exactly the sort of roster construction problems which has plagued Groce throughout his tenure?

I have to think that JW will take this into account.

#7,285      
#7,286      

BZuppke

Plainfield
The orange and blue Koolaid must have a high alcohol content. Memories are short; after 10 years of suckage we are irrelevant and not a destination that a hot young coach will aspire to. We will not get any of the 5 best choices discussed here, certainly not Williams, Miller or Keats.

Not to worry. JG can't coach and the last 5 minutes of the last game prove he has learned nothing in 5 years. He's not getting any better in the future, so I will be perfectly happy with a second tier candidate like LK. Let's be realistic: Weber and Gross have turned us into a low P5 program, and we now need to claw our way back to respectability. Forget the home run hire, I just need us back on first base.

And let's be realistic about what happens if JG stays. Next year he gets a pass because the team is young. So when they underperform TWO years from now, and he finally gets axed, it will be 6 years with no dance. We will be even more irrelevant in that coaching search

I completely disagree that Illinois can't attract a great coach. Coaches don't take a job based upon this kind of fan analysis. A coach will look at recruiting potential, administration and fan support and most importantly who the AD is because his success will depend quite a bit on what kind of boss the AD is. Illinois, like every team making a change has fallen on hard times. That's why we are making a change.

#7,287      

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
Is the speculation that if Groce returns we lose 1 possibly 2 players to transfer?

If we lose 2 that would leave us with 9 scholarship players next season unless we add some grad transfers. Isn't this exactly the sort of roster construction problems which has plagued Groce throughout his tenure?

Whitman will not make a decision based on who transfers or not. DJ Williams will transfer if Groce is back... probably no matter who the coach is. Aaron Jordan most likely stays IMO.

#7,288      
Whitman will not make a decision based on who transfers or not. DJ Williams will transfer if Groce is back... probably no matter who the coach is. Aaron Jordan most likely stays IMO.

Not on transfers per se, but the inability to build a cohesive roster and that trend looks to continue

#7,290      

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
Not on transfers per se, but the inability to build a cohesive roster and that trend looks to continue

Keep the recruiting class, add a 5th year transfer big guy, and add Mark Smith.... I would say the future looks very bright. The right hire can accomplish all of this. Dangerous young team next year that can explode in 2019

#7,291      
I completely disagree that Illinois can't attract a great coach. Coaches don't take a job based upon this kind of fan analysis. A coach will look at recruiting potential, administration and fan support and most importantly who the AD is because his success will depend quite a bit on what kind of boss the AD is. Illinois, like every team making a change has fallen on hard times. That's why we are making a change.

Bingo

And I'll throw in facilities that are brand spanking new.

#7,292      
Keep the recruiting class, add a 5th year transfer big guy, and add Mark Smith.... I would say the future looks very bright. The right hire can accomplish all of this. Dangerous young team next year that can explode in 2019

That's my whole point. It will take a new hire, because Groce has not been able to do that here and his struggles continue

#7,293      

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
The orange and blue Koolaid must have a high alcohol content. Memories are short; after 10 years of suckage we are irrelevant and not a destination that a hot young coach will aspire to. We will not get any of the 5 best choices discussed here, certainly not Williams, Miller or Keats.

Not to worry. JG can't coach and the last 5 minutes of the last game prove he has learned nothing in 5 years. He's not getting any better in the future, so I will be perfectly happy with a second tier candidate like LK. Let's be realistic: Weber and Gross have turned us into a low P5 program, and we now need to claw our way back to respectability. Forget the home run hire, I just need us back on first base.

And let's be realistic about what happens if JG stays. Next year he gets a pass because the team is young. So when they underperform TWO years from now, and he finally gets axed, it will be 6 years with no dance. We will be even more irrelevant in that coaching search

While I agree that pulling Archie, Monty or Keatts will be difficult, Krystkowiak feels like the kind of coach every bit as capable (and more so imo) of finding success here as the latter 2. Archie Miller is the grand slam hire we only get if he gives us the time of day and something special clicks between he and Whitman. That said, it is JW's job to make something happen here. We can talk until we are blue in the face about whether he will hold onto Groce or stumble down to Martin. At the end of the day, this hire is going to determine more about Whitman than the Lovie hire (which while great, coincided with timing and luck). He can't get it wrong. That simple.

IF Whitman is the rising star AD many here claim, then we will be finding a new coach, and a darn good one at that. IF we are in for the same old, same old, then it will be a glaring indictment of our current leadership in the athletic department.

No excuses, gotta get it right Josh.

#7,294      
If Groce is actually coming back like many have said, why doesn't Whitman voice his support this weekend? Penn State has done it already......

Because we are not Penn State, and it would be extremely dumb for Whitman to do so at this point even if the decision is to retain him.

#7,295      

Why would Whitman worry about DJ Williams leaving? He wasn't good enough to play this year, and Groce is bringing in the top recruiting class in the BT with a chance to still add Mark Smith and perhaps another player or two.

#7,296      
While I agree that pulling Archie, Monty or Keatts will be difficult, Krystkowiak feels like the kind of coach every bit as capable (and more so imo) of finding success here as the latter 2. Archie Miller is the grand slam hire we only get if he gives us the time of day and something special clicks between he and Whitman. That said, it is JW's job to make something happen here. We can talk until we are blue in the face about whether he will hold onto Groce or stumble down to Martin. At the end of the day, this hire is going to determine more about Whitman than the Lovie hire (which while great, coincided with timing and luck). He can't get it wrong. That simple.

IF Whitman is the rising star AD many here claim, then we will be finding a new coach, and a darn good one at that. IF we are in for the same old, same old, then it will be a glaring indictment of our current leadership in the athletic department.

No excuses, gotta get it right Josh.

Keatts would jump at the chance to coach here. Archie a grand slam hire? How is that? We hired Self (a very good hire) with a similar resume, but I don't think it was considered a grand slam at the time.

I think Archie Miller would be very good, but grand slam is bringing Billy Donovan back to college or something like that.

A new hire could make modest improvements to this program and JW will still be plenty popular here

#7,297      
Why would Whitman worry about DJ Williams leaving? He wasn't good enough to play this year, and Groce is bringing in the top recruiting class in the BT with a chance to still add Mark Smith and perhaps another player or two.

It isn't about D.J. Williams specifically. It is about building a roster that is balanced and can sustain transfers, injuries, academics, legal troubles and everything else that goes wrong in college.

To this point Groce has shown he cannot overcome such things.

So if KN tears his ACL in pick up game and Mark Smith doesn't commit where does that leave us next year? Pretty much the same place we have been under Groce.

#7,298      

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Keatts would jump at the chance to coach here. Archie a grand slam hire? How is that? We hired Self (a very good hire) with a similar resume, but I don't think it was considered a grand slam at the time.

I think Archie Miller would be very good, but grand slam is bringing Billy Donovan back to college or something like that.

A new hire could make modest improvements to this program and JW will still be plenty popular here
No, Donovan isn't a grand slam hire. Donovan isn't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happening, not sure why the text is being wasted on him hire. A grand slam hire requires the person be hired. Since Billy Donovan IS NOT coming here, he cannot be a grand slam hire.

Bill Self was a grand slam hire, that has been proven out with his overwhelming success here, followed by his overwhelming success at Kansas. What Archie Miller has done is incredibly impressive at Dayton, he is the tippy top of any list of within this world, possible options. Fantastic hire.

Maybe we get Keatts, but he is going to be a commodity almost as hot as Archie Miller, imo. Has proven A LOT in his short amount of time in the college game. That said, I am personally higher on Krystkowiak, so fine... quibble over how easily we can get Keatts. :thumb:

#7,299      
No, Donovan isn't a grand slam hire. Donovan isn't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happening, not sure why the text is being wasted on him hire. A grand slam hire requires the person be hired. Since Billy Donovan IS NOT coming here, he cannot be a grand slam hire.

Bill Self was a grand slam hire, that has been proven out with his overwhelming success here, followed by his overwhelming success at Kansas. What Archie Miller has done is incredibly impressive at Dayton, he is the tippy top of any list of within this world, possible options. Fantastic hire.

Maybe we get Keatts, but he is going to be a commodity almost as hot as Archie Miller, imo. Has proven A LOT in his short amount of time in the college game. That said, I am personally higher on Krystkowiak, so fine... quibble over how easily we can get Keatts. :thumb:

So we knew Bill Self was going to succeed wildly at Illinois and then later Kansas when we interviewed him as Tulsa's head coach? No I think he had a ton of potential which we gambled on and won.

I know Billy Donovan isn't coming here which is WHY he is a grand slam coach. You save that vernacular for the truly amazing, everything lined up miracles like Lovie Smith.

Keatts almost as hot as Miller? Maybe in this thread but not reality.

I don't know much about Krystowiak but what I do know he is mostly a west guy, who I think may struggle to recruit here

#7,300      

I agree Groce has a very good roster for the future, I think he can win big with it, hopefully if he is let go the new coach can keep it and we don't take several steps back

Status
Not open for further replies.