2017 Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
#7,977      
For some reason Keatts gets a pass on all his short comings and the supporters have only one positive retort, which is look what he did in the CAA. He's done great in the CAA. If VCU never left the CAA you would have never heard of Kevin Keatts.

I agree with this sentiment. I like him, and will be happy with the hire if it's him. But the hype is bizarre IMO. He's a strong candidate, but not the level that some think.

#7,978      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
I do really hope our fan base roots for him to succeed in the future, and doesn't make him the butt of all jokes the way Beckman is. Beckman clearly deserves it because he was an incompetent, illiterate buffoon, but Groce is somebody who could actually become a decent to good coach down the road for a high mid major or a mid level P5 school.

Agree with all of this but really hope for his sake that he becomes willing to recognize and act on some of his weaknesses. His in-game coaching is a huge failing and the unwillingness to 86 one or more of his assistants to bring in someone to address that problem is a major reason he hasn't worked out here. If he continues to refuse to address that problem, I can't see him ever having success at any P5 school.

#7,980      
Oops, I forgot Loyola moved.

As for mid v. low major - is there an accepted definition? To me, any league that is a default one bid league is low major. IMO, if you don't get a second bid at least once every 5 years or so, you are low major. If there is a real definition, I'd be interested to know.

Its a mid-major, and "the pride of Leroy" was having a pretty good start to his freshman year before blowing out his knee.

#7,981      
For some reason Keatts gets a pass on all his short comings and the supporters have only one positive retort, which is look what he did in the CAA. He's done great in the CAA. If VCU never left the CAA you would have never heard of Kevin Keatts.

I support Keatts as a candidate but also know there are some question marks. The guy can obviously coach and recruit but he doesn't have a Big 10 caliber staff with him right now. Obviously he could build one, but if he were to bring his whole staff with him, I'd be very concerned.

#7,983      
Not really.

But it doesn't matter what terms you use, the CAA and leagues like the MEAC and the NEC are clearly not the same thing. Nor is the CAA like the Atlantic 10 on the other end.

Yeah, I agree to that. But if we're going to group 32 conferences into just a couple of labels, conferences within a group will differ greatly. But this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand I suppose.

#7,984      

Cheez

Sun Prairie WI
It's a unicorn of a resume.

That's just it. Unicorns don't exist - so I don't think it's necessary to get borderline hostile when people question whether Keatts is actually as good as his win/loss record.

#7,986      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal with Do Not Contact Tag

This is such a mischaracterization of the discussion. Nobody denies that, in a perfect world, you'd have a few more years of work to look at on Keatts. But his existing body of work is so impressive that you're not going to get that chance. Somebody is gonna give him a P5 shot in about a month, it'll be us or it won't be.

#7,987      
I agree with this sentiment. I like him, and will be happy with the hire if it's him. But the hype is bizarre IMO. He's a strong candidate, but not the level that some think.

If he's hired I will definitely support him. Right now his resume is too short for my personal preferences. I think we'll do a lot better.

#7,988      
The hype seems to be strongest among weirdos like me who have spent years parsing the differences between resumes like Groce's and resumes like Keatts'.

He's like a create-a-coach.

I'm with you actually. I was disappointed in the Groce hire for resume limitations that Keatts has blown out of the water. I love his resume. I think he's very likely to succeed. But, I'd love to have seen him do it for a couple more years.

#7,989      
Yeah, I agree to that. But if we're going to group 32 conferences into just a couple of labels, conferences within a group will differ greatly. But this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand I suppose.

We know the 6 major conferences. I would categorize the A10, AAC and Mountain West (not lately, admittedly) as "quasi-majors", then everything else as "Mid-Majors" until you get down to bottom 5 or so leagues.

Those four groups are "like with like", to the greatest extent possible.

#7,990      
This is such a mischaracterization of the discussion. Nobody denies that, in a perfect world, you'd have a few more years of work to look at on Keatts. But his existing body of work is so impressive that you're not going to get that chance. Somebody is gonna give him a P5 shot in about a month, it'll be us or it won't be.

The thing is, you only come to this thread every several days, you only see train GIFs and miss the actual discussion. It gives the perception of people jumping on the wagon just to jump on and not really thinking critically. Kind of like when everyone jumped on the TeamShield nonsense ;).

#7,991      

It's not a mischaracterization of anything when the word unicorn is being thrown around. You may not be denying the concerns and I generally agree with you on here, but others are painting him as a slam dunk. That's not true at all.

#7,992      

mattcoldagelli

Kind of like when everyone jumped on the TeamShield nonsense ;).

Ha, you beat me to it - I was going to point out that some of the Keatts stuff has gotten to be a little tongue-in-cheek, a la Team Shield, and the casual observer is probably like "what the hell is wrong with these guys?"

#7,993      

Fun fact - In VCU's last 3 years in the CAA with Shaka Smart as their head coach they were never conference regular season champions. They finished T-5, 4 , and 2. Also, per Kenpom this year VCU is #50 and UNC Wilmington is #59, so not really a big gap there.

#7,994      

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
It's not a mischaracterization of anything when the word unicorn is being thrown around. You may not be denying the concerns and I generally agree with you on here, but others are painting him as a slam dunk. That's not true at all.

What's wrong with the word unicorn? Obviously the mythical horned horse creature doesn't exist, but "unicorn" is a pretty standard term to describe a rare, super-high-performing startup. I think applying it to a coach is pretty logical.

#7,995      

I'm not implying certainty of success by saying "unicorn", I'm just pointing out the uniqueness of the qualifications.

#7,996      
Fun fact - In VCU's last 3 years in the CAA with Shaka Smart as their head coach they were never conference regular season champions. They finished T-5, 4 , and 2. Also, per Kenpom this year VCU is #50 and UNC Wilmington is #59, so not really a big gap there.

Fun fact - In Anthony Grant's only 3 years at VCU in the CAA he finished first ALL three years.

#7,997      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
That's because the depth of candidates that people are hoping are available, might not be all that much better than the guy we have, with the established relationships and quality incoming class.

Unless they are committed to opening up the checkbook and making a significant investment, change when the timing isn't right is a worse option that changing for the sake of change. It's a four to five year commitment once you pull the trigger. It needs to be the right guy and if that means waiting another year for that guy to become available.....So be it.

This is the year, we are arguably the best job out there. Next year, IU and tOSU may open up. Plus, other jobs throughout the country that may be perceived as better.

#7,999      

foby

Bonnaroo Land
This. Keatts coached a high school power (college player factory Hargrave) for a long time with great success, cut his teeth under Pitino for 3+years, took over UNC Wilmington and immediately blew the doors off.

Barring landing an unexpected grand slam of candidate, if the argument boils down to Keatts or Cuonzo Martin, I'm in on the Keatts camp. Guy wins game.. period.

This. Keatts was in a very unique position of recruiting top caliber talent and simultaneously interacting with top recruiters and watching them interact with players. I think that will give him the skills to be able to keep our incoming class complete.

#8,000      

mattcoldagelli

It's not a mischaracterization of anything when the word unicorn is being thrown around.

The word "unicorn" is being thrown derisively in the direction of the people who simultaneously say they want to be fist-pumpingly shocked with a Lovie-esque, outside-the-box home run, but then also demand that person will bring

-recruiting chops (but not the kind that raises eyebrows!)
-an exciting style of play (but not TOO crazy! has to work in the B1G amirite?)
-great Xs and Os (but not in, like, the Weber way!)
-a clear signal to the world that we're big time again (but not so big that he may some day leave!)

Oh and you also need to keep our recruiting class.

Status
Not open for further replies.