2018 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe he realized basketball at a P-5 conference school isn't quite as easy as at Edwardsville or even as he thought it might be?

I still think the kid was athletically ahead of other kids growing up, had the skill set to succeed, worked hard and because of the first three things excelled and never maybe faced rejection or challenges that seemed too much?????

Either way he is skilled, and will do well, just not here, best of luck to him.:chief:

Hearing Smith has interest from Baylor and Arizona.

Don't know if this is sarcasm or not but I'd actually like to see him go to another P5 school just to gauge how he does at a comparative competition level.

(except Miznoz)

Then we could see if he truly makes a (redshirt)sophomore leap or if he improves with the ball in his hands. Or maybe he is one of those rare players that looks to be a star, is recruited by blue bloods, but ends up just not working out.

Not sacrcasm at all, also hearing MSU and Louisville. Some teams have dramatic roster needs due to FBI investigation. OTOH, rumors could be Daddy planted.

Has Akron reached out

No answer, I wouldn't be surprised, Akron has an open scholarship and quite frankly I thought Smith would have to go down a level on his next go around. So the Baylor/AZ/MSU/LVille surprised me. Not sure where he will end up but for all involved I hope it's quick and quiet.

Last edited:
Didn't his baseball career end with some sort of throwing arm injury? Or was that just his pitching career?

Supposedly, yet baseball players have surgeries on a regular basis to correct almost any and all kinds of medical problems, so don't be surprised at another shot at his other sport.

People in the know in the Metro East area say that Smith's baseball prospects peaked after his sophomore year in high school.

No answer, I wouldn't be surprised, Akron has an open scholarship and quite frankly I thought Smith would have to go down a level on his next go around. So the Baylor/AZ/MSU/LVille surprised me. Not sure where he will end up but for all involved I hope it's quick and quiet.

So there’s way more to the story huh

the national

the Front Range
I think Mark has a hype team.

giphy.gif

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I think Mark has a hype team.

Mark Smith can be a good player in a program that plays more of a packline defense and needs someone to run the offense.

His deficiency in off the ball, pressure man to man defense and the fact that he didn't have the ball in his hands for much of the offense is why he didn't work out at Illinois.

Wonder how far exactly Smith would reach down. Wonder if interest would be so low he would consider coming back. Obviously its early in the offseason and I'm sure interest will pick up, but I could see him/whoever whispers in his ear, being humbled and considering coming back. That being said, I imagine mid major is the floor for him--fully expect at least a P6 offer. I would assume our insiders would say this is absolutely never going to happen (coming back), but stranger things.

Wonder how far exactly Smith would reach down. Wonder if interest would be so low he would consider coming back. Obviously its early in the offseason and I'm sure interest will pick up, but I could see him/whoever whispers in his ear, being humbled and considering coming back. That being said, I imagine mid major is the floor for him--fully expect at least a P6 offer. I would assume our insiders would say this is absolutely never going to happen (coming back), but stranger things.

I’m not sure many stranger things than this have ever happened. You can’t un-ring this bell now. He decided to move on and he will. Maybe a power 5 team will take a shot on him but I think it’s best for him to take step down. If Mark wants the ball in his hands, going somewhere with at least as much competition as Illinois is a risky proposition. Coaches are not inclined to let a player learn on the job if they have better options currently on the roster. That is exactly what he ran into at Illinois. He would be better off going somewhere where he is hands down the big man on campus. If he was willing to work behind the scenes to develop into the PG he seems to want to be he would have done that here I think.

kuhl84

Orlando, FL
Mark Smith can be a good player in a program that plays more of a packline defense and needs someone to run the offense.

His deficiency in off the ball, pressure man to man defense and the fact that he didn't have the ball in his hands for much of the offense is why he didn't work out at Illinois.

I have seen this repeated several times and let it go.

He didn't have the ball in his hands more because he could not handle against pressure...at all. He currently does not have the handles of a P5 PG. Not even close.

He needs to spend his sit on year and focus on ball handling if he is to succeed at this level.

we are going to be not good next year

We weren't real good this year. I don't get all the gloom and doom. Sure LB was good and I'm sad to see him go but I think we can pick up his 15ppg/5rpg with several players next year and possibly better D.

Status
Not open for further replies.