2018 White Sox

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Put me down for Madrigal.

Love the idea of 2020 or 2021 line up starting out with Madrigal, Moncada, Eloy, Abreu, Robert.....

Bailey

Los Angeles
Put me down for Madrigal.

Love the idea of 2020 or 2021 line up starting out with Madrigal, Moncada, Eloy, Abreu, Robert.....

Law was saying in his chat today that Madrigal/Bohm/Bart all hit well enough to break the league in 2019.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Beaver fan (insert joke here) for the next few weeks. Let's see Madrigal excel on the big stage, then go light it up in rookie ball/low a

Bailey

Los Angeles
Fangraphs projects him to slot in at #4/#35 overall. Right between Robert and Hansen.

Based on projections, which I know is a crap shoot but it's all we have right now, it seems the Sox have guys in the minors to fill all positions correct?

Rutherford, Robert, Jiminez in the OF.

Collins at C.

Plenty of pitchers.

Barger (sp) was projected at 3b, hope he recovers.

Madrigal at 2b, maybe slide Moncado over to 3b in a Machado type of way?

Who is at 1B and ss?

I know not everyone will pan out, but nice to see depth at all/most positions. Seems like Kenny Willams always drafted 100 pitchers every year :eek:

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I like the 2nd round draft pick too. Mostly for his name, but his stats are legit too. Steele Walker.

This past season, he slashed .352/.441/.606 with 13 homers, 31 walks and 48 strikeouts. In his three years at Oklahoma, he played 170 games, and there is no mention of missed time for an injury.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Based on projections, which I know is a crap shoot but it's all we have right now, it seems the Sox have guys in the minors to fill all positions correct?

Rutherford, Robert, Jiminez in the OF.

Collins at C.

Plenty of pitchers.

Barger (sp) was projected at 3b, hope he recovers.

Madrigal at 2b, maybe slide Moncado over to 3b in a Machado type of way?

Who is at 1B and ss?

I know not everyone will pan out, but nice to see depth at all/most positions. Seems like Kenny Willams always drafted 100 pitchers every year :eek:

Beyond the guys you mentioned, there's even more solid outfield depth. Basabe, Gonzalez, Adolfo, Walker. Booker, Call, Fisher, Polo are all legitimate prospects too.

We've got some organizational depth at C, and it's far from Collins job to lose at this point. Seby Zavala in Birmingham (age 24) has shown promise. If Collins hits his way to the bigs, it might be in a 1B/DH role. Would love for him to stick behind the plate, obviously.

Burger probably doesn't stick at 3B at this point, and whether he ever would was in doubt. Gavin Sheets (age 22) is our second rounder from last year who's another big 1B/DH type with pop. He's been pretty decent at Winston Salem this year.

Regarding Madrigal, I think he'll play short primarily. I'd prefer they just keep him there. What happens if he reaches the bigs playing that position in 2019/2020, they'll have to figure out when it happens. I wouldn't move Moncada off 2nd. Tim to the outfield has been thrown around and he's acknowledged it. Ultimately, he could end up being an asset at a redundant position the way Gleybar Torres was for some random team I can't remember.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I like the 2nd round draft pick too. Mostly for his name, but his stats are legit too. Steele Walker.

This past season, he slashed .352/.441/.606 with 13 homers, 31 walks and 48 strikeouts. In his three years at Oklahoma, he played 170 games, and there is no mention of missed time for an injury.

Fangraphs had him mocked to the Cubs pick at 20-something. MLB had him 30th overall. Nice pickup there.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Beyond the guys you mentioned, there's even more solid outfield depth. Basabe, Gonzalez, Adolfo, Walker. Booker, Call, Fisher, Polo are all legitimate prospects too.

We've got some organizational depth at C, and it's far from Collins job to lose at this point. Seby Zavala in Birmingham (age 24) has shown promise. If Collins hits his way to the bigs, it might be in a 1B/DH role. Would love for him to stick behind the plate, obviously.

Burger probably doesn't stick at 3B at this point, and whether he ever would was in doubt. Gavin Sheets (age 22) is our second rounder from last year who's another big 1B/DH type with pop. He's been pretty decent at Winston Salem this year.

Regarding Madrigal, I think he'll play short primarily. I'd prefer they just keep him there. What happens if he reaches the bigs playing that position in 2019/2020, they'll have to figure out when it happens. I wouldn't move Moncada off 2nd. Tim to the outfield has been thrown around and he's acknowledged it. Ultimately, he could end up being an asset at a redundant position the way Gleybar Torres was for some random team I can't remember.

Tell me if you have heard this before. The Sox we really smart in locking up TA for extended years at a team friendly deal. If Madrigal looks like the better option at short, and TA in the outfield doesn't work out, they have a great value that could be moved for players similar to the Eaton deal.

And from what I have read, I would rather see Eloy in left field vs Right.

Eloy, TA, and Robert left to right?

ILL in IA

Iowa City
We still holding on? Squint hard enough, you can see some hope in our future.

Bailey

Los Angeles
We still holding on? Squint hard enough, you can see some hope in our future.

I'm feeling fine! Still watching every day, looking for incremental progress. Saw on Sunday Rey in a full count with the bases loaded throw a filthy slider at the knees for a K, and that alone can sustain me for a good week. Did he walk in a run on 4 pitches immediately thereafter? Hard to say - it's possible I blocked that out.

Bailey

Los Angeles
Gio looking *great* today against a juggernaut Houston lineup. Throwing all of his offerings in the zone

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Gio looking *great* today against a juggernaut Houston lineup. Throwing all of his offerings in the zone

I am so torn on Gio. The fastball velocity is down, and the ++ curveball that was touted in the minors hasn't been what it was hyped to be. But at the same time, his biggest problem just boils down to repeating his delivery. He struggles to locate pitches, leading to walks, or pitches left over the middle of the plate. When he locates like he did yesterday, he looks good. It was just 1 good outing, but I think the sox did the right thing leaving him up with the big club to try and work out his issues.

Bailey

Los Angeles
I am so torn on Gio. The fastball velocity is down, and the ++ curveball that was touted in the minors hasn't been what it was hyped to be. But at the same time, his biggest problem just boils down to repeating his delivery. He struggles to locate pitches, leading to walks, or pitches left over the middle of the plate. When he locates like he did yesterday, he looks good. It was just 1 good outing, but I think the sox did the right thing leaving him up with the big club to try and work out his issues.

The velo has been way up as of late. It was sitting more in it's typical range yesterday but the 2 starts prior he was sitting more 94-95 and touching 96.

Which emphasizes your point that his issue are purely mechanical. The kid is healthy.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The velo has been way up as of late. It was sitting more in it's typical range yesterday but the 2 starts prior he was sitting more 94-95 and touching 96.

Which emphasizes your point that his issue are purely mechanical. The kid is healthy.

Didn't see his game yesterday. But the velocity up is great news. Bc he was sitting at 90 during his rough stretch. Amazing what a couple mph can do to change how a pitcher looks.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
This 93 team reunion brought back a lot of cool memories. As a 9 year old, I idolized a lot of the guys on that team.

Bailey

Los Angeles
This 93 team reunion brought back a lot of cool memories. As a 9 year old, I idolized a lot of the guys on that team.

Have this old thing lying around, badly in need of restoration. White hats are pretty much impossible to wear without worrying about ruining the thing, but this one's such a gem I can't possibly toss it out.

IMG_0713.jpg

Last edited:

Bailey

Los Angeles
Great piece. Makes you excited to see how his development continues.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I generally don't get worked up on the White Sox getting over looked nationally. But Jose was was flat out disrespected tonight. 2 at bats and Buck barely said his name. Maybe longer at bats could have helpes, but still.