Alan Griffin suspended 2 games

Thought 1 game would have been enough...but given the KU-KSU situation....the B10 Commish wanted to make it clear to everyone they take this very seriously, thus the 2 games.....each flagrant 2 will be judged separately according to circumstances...the term "a basketball play"....or...."retaliatory action" I think will be applied in these cases....the foul AG committed was not a basketball play and it was clearly an intentional retaliatory action...imho

By definition, any flagrant foul is NOT A BASKETBALL PLAY. (or it would not be flagrant)

(Not the official definition, too lazy tonight; point's the same)
Flagrant foul
A flagrant 1 foul is two shots and the ball and that means excessive in nature or unnecessary or avoidable, uncalled for or not required by the circumstances of the play.
A flagrant 2 foul is two shots and the ball and the player is ejected from the game. The rules committee added more words to describe this scenario, including brutal, harsh or cruel or dangerous or punishing.

Based upon the definition, I think Alan committed a flagrant 1. I agree with BU's statement. But the Commissioner's problem is he has overreacted and will be challenged to be consistent, and will catch it from both sides of every decision/non-decision he makes.

Im guessing the B10 told the university they would be weighing in....probably the day after....and thus BU and JW didn't have much to say....waiting to see what conference would do......best thing now is for BU and JW to totally agree with and support the suspension....get ready for MU
That's a lot of guessing, . . .

Seems reasonable. I'd be surprised if there was push back from Underwood. Pure speculation, but I bet Underwood has seen something like this coming from AG. And this might be a bit of an "I told ya so" teaching moment. I think it was telling that, during the halftime interview, BU didnt seem to believe AG's side of the story, even without having seen a replay.

Edit: welp, I was wrong. Posted without seeing BU's response.

Last edited:
Don't like the pushback from Underwood in his statement. Don't think it's excessive. He should've stuck up for Alan's character like he did at the beginning of the statement and not said anything else. Alan tried to intentionally hurt someone.

Not sure what Tevian did, but with 16 games of suspension in his career, it must've been much worse that trying to physically harm someone.

DB11Headband

Chicago Burbs
Don't like the pushback from Underwood in his statement. Don't think it's excessive. He should've stuck up for Alan's character like he did at the beginning of the statement and not said anything else. Alan tried to intentionally hurt someone.

Not sure what Tevian did, but with 16 games of suspension in his career, it must've been much worse that trying to physically harm someone.
It most certainly wasn’t

For those of you that might skip past it, or not go back and read it, I really, really like Brad Underwood's response. Absolutely hit the correct tone. (And actually, by definition should have been a Flagrant 1, but note Coach agreed with the officials decision to kick him out of that game early, for those of you that had a coach, that means more than what the Big Ten might do, having had that relationship as both a coach and an athlete).

I thought coaches would implement 2-3 games themselves w/o conference interference.

Possibly, but I think it was right for Underwood to wait for the conference to make its decision. The Big Ten office isn't interfering, it's the league's job to mediate between the U of I and Purdue and to protect all the other schools from dangerous play. For all I know the coach might decide to add a game (Though I would prefer he doesn't -- two games strikes me as about right.)

Note: this was posted before I had seen Underwood's statement. Obviously Griffin won't be sitting for a third game.

Last edited:
While I agree with Underwood and his observation that a suspension is appropriate but two games is excessive, one has to recognize that deterring others is a legitimate consideration in any punishment. The last thing the BIG needs is a bench clearing brawl. This should hopefully be an effective way to reduce the possibility.

Its 15% of the Big Ten season. For something that was pretty innocuous and wasn’t very malicious. He didn’t stomp, punch, intend to injury. Nobody threw a fit when he was removed and he even apologized after the game.

Underwood is 100% right. 3 games is insane. He obviously couches that better than I am, but he is as furious at this as we should be. It’s horsesh-t and would never happen if this was Cassius Winston or Xavier Tillman or Zavier Simpson

While I agree with Underwood and his observation that a suspension is appropriate but two games is excessive, one has to recognize that deterring others is a legitimate consideration in any punishment. The last thing the BIG needs is a bench clearing brawl. This should hopefully be an effective way to reduce the possibility.
Does not change the Commissioner's dilemma going forward now the standard has been established.

Deleted member 746963

D
Seems excessive, basically a 3 game suspension for that. He didn't boot stomp the guy. AG did it on purpose, he made amistake, he apologized and will learn from it. Hard to justify a suspension longer than some involved in the KU brawl. seems like missing the michigan game would have been fair and just.

BS, if he had wanted to hurt that kid it would have looked a lot different. He would have used a lot more force with that foot, he held way back.

Well if it looked much differently (more forceful) than what it did.. AG would be looking at a much harsher penalty....he could have just stepped beside the player instead of on his chest.....it was intentional...no place in basketball for that type of play....don't have a problem with BU standing up for his player....but it's hard to criticize the punishment

AG was involved in same type of play that C Laettner pulled in Ncaa tournament game against KY refs did not throw him out, he caught and hit a jumper with no time on the clock to win the game.

ginabackes00

CrazedUIFan
I don’t agree with the logic that since this was at the beginning of the game, he essentially was suspended that game. The fact that it happened so early in the game makes his act even more baffling. It wasn’t like he was frustrated with how the game was going/called or any of the opposing players for trash talking.
I’m happy it was only two games given the KU/KSU altercation.

as far as Jones, I hope he understands how important it is for him over these next few days to focus on the defensive side of the ball and creating the energy needed from a bench player. Scoring opportunities will come if he doesn’t force it like he has been.

Honestly, I'm hoping that being among the top headlines on ESPN for kicking a guy and getting suspended rather than being in the top headlines for helping your team kick a** will provide focus and motivation for Griffin. We'll see. We're also going to get a good peek at the ability of this team to withstand and power through adversity. Purdue was certainly a great start. Now's the time to develop that next-man-up mentality.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 9.25.00 PM.png

Well if it looked much differently (more forceful) than what it did.. AG would be looking at a much harsher penalty....he could have just stepped beside the player instead of on his chest.....it was intentional...no place in basketball for that type of play....don't have a problem with BU standing up for his player....but it's hard to criticize the punishment
Better reread his statement. Underwood did not stand up for Alan, but he absolutely criticized the punishment. And I initially said, look at my entries, I don't object to the punishment (but from the Commissioner's standpoint it's excessive/stupid). I criticize the punishment from the standpoint of what the Commissioner will have to do going forward. You are correct, what Alan did was VERY intentional, but was not meant to disable/harm the other player(therefore actually a flagrant 1), it was a message that he could have. It was stupid. (I say again, for he umpteenth time)
But the Commissioner is not going to be able to ignore the next guy, and the next guy, etc. And those will have to be suspensions, too. Many of what you haven't seen will be absolutely worse. They don't happen twice a season, they happen every week, or more. Most aren't focused on, or in direct camera view, but don't kid yourself, they have multiple cameras, you just don't get shown the replay. I guess the conference will come down to the team with the deepest bench.

I don’t agree with the logic that since this was at the beginning of the game, he essentially was suspended that game. The fact that it happened so early in the game makes his act even more baffling. It wasn’t like he was frustrated with how the game was going/called or any of the opposing players for trash talking.

as far as Jones, I hope he understands how important it is for him over these next few days to focus on the defensive side of the ball and creating the energy needed from a bench player. Scoring opportunities will come if he doesn’t force it like he has been.
This wasn’t the first time we played Purdue this year. For all we know they could have been talking smack last game and before the incident. That’s no excuse of course, but just saying that there could’ve been more behind it than what we know.

As far as punishment being established for suspension during the game, that's how it's handled under the NCAA football rules. Get tossed in the 1st half and you can play the next game. Get tossed in the second have to sit the next game. Should it be different in Basketball?

BS, if he had wanted to hurt that kid it would have looked a lot different. He would have used a lot more force with that foot, he held way back.
What exactly was he trying to do then? He went out of his way to step on his chest intentionally. It was a bush league move by one of our guys. I can't understand some people standing up for it. If Haarms stomped on Ayo, what would your reaction be? Pretty sure the same people would be calling for him to be suspended for more than 2 games.

Better reread his statement. Underwood did not stand up for Alan, but he absolutely criticized the punishment. And I initially said, look at my entries, I don't object to the punishment (but from the Commissioner's standpoint it's excessive/stupid). I criticize the punishment from the standpoint of what the Commissioner will have to do going forward. You are correct, what Alan did was VERY intentional, but was not meant to disable/harm the other player(therefore actually a flagrant 1), it was a message that he could have. It was stupid. (I say again, for he umpteenth time)
But the Commissioner is not going to be able to ignore the next guy, and the next guy, etc. And those will have to be suspensions, too. Many of what you haven't seen will be absolutely worse. They don't happen twice a season, they happen every week, or more. Most aren't focused on, or in direct camera view, but don't kid yourself, they have multiple cameras, you just don't get shown the replay. I guess the conference will come down to the team with the deepest bench.

I reread BU's statement...I feel like he most certainly stood up for AG....saying that he was proud of him as a person and a member of the team, and also was proud of him taking responsibility for his actions and his apology...but he made a mistake and that mistake isn't what the team or the program is about and the ejection was warranted....but you're right he did criticize the punishment of the 2 games...which to me is in a way standing up for AG as well......that the punishment was too severe and at a bad time.....and I really don't have a problem with BU doing that either....standing up for your guys.....but move on, we've got important games to prepare for and play.....you're right in that the Commissioner has opened himself up for the possibility of being expected to suspend every flagrant 2 violation