Arizona 90, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

It’s an early season away loss to a ranked team.

In 2001 Illini lost by 13 @ #5 ranked Maryland. They were ranked #2 btw. Then they lost to a #7 ranked Arizona 1 week later.

These losses happen.

Arizona is a really good team. I'm sure they will be in the top 10 real soon. I've been as hard on BU as anyone but I don't think we were out coached tonight. We were outclassed by more athletic skilled players. They would beat us by double digits almost every night in any venue. Good news is I think this is the most talented team we will see all year. The two best teams going forward Michigan St and Maryland BU has proven he can beat.
Ayo really struggles scoring in the half court offense.
Kofi needs to be a little stronger catching the ball in the post and a bit more patient while possessing the ball in the paint.
Kipper does Kipper things.
Miller needs to where a T-shirt..geesh
Epstein didn't kill himself!

Go Illini!!

Putting Giorgi on the perimeter is like asking your center to also throw passes. He made some great post entry passes, but he simply does not have perimeter skills. He can’t dribble, can’t shoot it nearly well enough. I’m shocked we all see it, but the staff has tried to force this experiment, very head scratching
The addition of Kofi was great, but everyone has to make adjustments and learn their role . Obviously, Giorgio has the biggest adjustment . Ayo, Trent and Dre will have to learn to play together for this team to have success.

Don't think this is a time to panic. We played a rested team on their home court on a short turnaround. Makes sense that we could not match their intensity in the second half. Really don't think it was turnovers that beat us. They had about the same number we did in the 2nd half. Instead, in addition to shooting poorly, we were outrebounded something like 22-12 in the second half. If we were rested and we play the game on a neutral floor, I don't think they pull away in the second half.
I think the reason why they outrebounded was because we didn't make most of our shots and they made most of theirs

This team might want to take a look.

15 pass possession.jpg

It's extremely entertaining seeing an Illinois fan base freak out after 3 games of a 31 game season. Because we all know teams can't turn it around. What we're seeing is what we're going to get. Just like the football team. We all knew how the season would go after the EMU game. Oh wait......
Football is using up everything in the Illinois miracle tank. I don't think we get 2 magical turnarounds in a year

I believe the half hour possession they had really killed any momentum we had at that point. We played them even up until
then. Seems like our boys got down on themselves a bit after that and we got beat to every loose ball and rebound.
Truth is we don't have a stellar distributor on our team. That is why I am very excited about Curbello. Down the line I know.
Honest question: in this offense where does a good distributor get his chance to shine?

Watching highlights of msu v ill game to remind myself that the weekend was still a fruitful one despite being outplayed by freshman in az

alaaji

Morocco
Arizona is a really good team. I'm sure they will be in the top 10 real soon. I've been as hard on BU as anyone but I don't think we were out coached tonight. We were outclassed by more athletic skilled players. They would beat us by double digits almost every night in any venue. Good news is I think this is the most talented team we will see all year. The two best teams going forward Michigan St and Maryland BU has proven he can beat.
Ayo really struggles scoring in the half court offense.
Kofi needs to be a little stronger catching the ball in the post and a bit more patient while possessing the ball in the paint.
Kipper does Kipper things.
Miller needs to where a T-shirt..geesh
Epstein didn't kill himself!

Go Illini!!
This right here! ☝️ There are 3 five-star players on that team. Maybe more but I didn't look it up. One of those, Mannion, is the #1 PG in his class. That's a pretty decent team.

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL

In 2001 Illini lost by 13 @ #5 ranked Maryland. They were ranked #2 btw. Then they lost to a #7 ranked Arizona 1 week later.

These losses happen.

I think what keeps getting lost here is that people aren’t being critical of the loss itself. I’m not worried about it impacting a resume.

It’s the way we looked losing. We got ran out of the gym by three good freshman. Arizona is good, but our experience should have neutralized their raw talent at least somewhat. We may lose that game, but I was expecting it to go more like the first half. If it did, more of us would be having the the above convo about ranked team in hostile environment.

this is similar to UConn in football. It was supposed to a pounding—a show that the growing pains were behind us and we were past discussing the fundamentals, scheme, and “it’s early” and “they’re young” talk. More than I was with football, I’m confident this thing will gel—but I was wrong about football’s ability to turn the corner, so who knows haha

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

These losses happen.

WHAT??? FIRE BILL SELF!!!

Honest question: in this offense where does a good distributor get his chance to shine?
Ride the hot hand. We absolutely do not do that. It is a case of recognizing who is hot and getting them the ball. You don't just come down and go one on one because you feel that it is your turn to shoot. BU spent most of last year teaching that to Frazier. I understand that he feels that Feliz deserves to start but, a couple of guys are not going to get shots in any offense sometimes, and it would be better if he became a super 6th man. I have seen Griffin hit 3s and be ignored afterwards, also. We have 3 ball dominant guards playing at the same time. Play two of them and let the third come off of the bench. It gives the two on the court more touches and the one coming off the bench only having to share with one other. This does not resolve your end of the game line ups but, there are only so many shots in a game and that is the easiest way to allow all three guards to get their shots and to stay hot. We have periods where we are ignoring GB that need to be resolved, too. The toughest thing that some players have to learn, at this level is, distributing the ball and recognizing when to ensure touches for certain players. We just aren't doing that. I love every player that we have! I am just not sure of roles at this time.

Facts of Life

1. Home court advantage is a real thing, especially when the refs turn the tide of the game
2. Fatigue is a real thing, Illinois was gased from GSU and likely Nichols OT game.
3. Rankings matter, Arizona has uber athletes and Mannion was best player on court.
4. This game was a treat. Showed how good we can be, led most of first half. But also gave a blueprint of where we need improvements. IMHO need more Griffin,BBV, and Tevian. Thought DWilliams played solid.
5. Once again we turnover the ball because we lack a true PG and don't value possesions.

Ride the hot hand. We absolutely do not do that. It is a case of recognizing who is hot and getting them the ball. You don't just come down and go one on one because you feel that it is your turn to shoot. BU spent most of last year teaching that to Frazier. I understand that he feels that Feliz deserves to start but, a couple of guys are not going to get shots in any offense sometimes, and it would be better if he became a super 6th man. I have seen Griffin hit 3s and be ignored afterwards, also. We have 3 ball dominant guards playing at the same time. Play two of them and let the third come off of the bench. It gives the two on the court more touches and the one coming off the bench only having to share with one other. This does not resolve your end of the game line ups but, there are only so many shots in a game and that is the easiest way to allow all three guards to get their shots and to stay hot. We have periods where we are ignoring GB that need to be resolved, too. The toughest thing that some players have to learn, at this level is, distributing the ball and recognizing when to ensure touches for certain players. We just aren't doing that. I love every player that we have! I am just not sure of roles at this time.
I agree with all of this, but I was just thinking that this offense looks very robotic and once we're in the flow of it, there aren't many chances for creativity.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Watching Mannion just made me that much more excited for Curbelo next year. A true PG with serious athleticism.

We let them put up 90 on us. Defense needs to be better.
Our sloppy offense lead to 20 pts off turnovers. If we can tighten up control of the ball offensively we should be able to cut 10 of those points and score 10 more ourselves. That’s a 20 pts swing we should be able to effect in the next couple weeks in practice.

No more sloppy in bounds passes, no more sloppy passes to the post.

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
The ‘05 team was amaaaaazing. This is not the ‘05 team. We might never have a team like that again no matter what coach we have. We, as a fan base, need to stop living in the past. It isn’t fair to the current players or coach to use the ‘05 team as the litmus test.

There I said it.

We had Giorgi who played like a top 50ish freshman last year and Trent who had also outplayed his ranking to date. Their roster isn’t 21 points better than ours period.

Maybew not, didn't state 21points, however Giorgi who was what 12-14 points last year is getting outmanned, in foul trouble and is defensively a non factor also, hell BU and his experiment might just be the 21 points alone?

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
I do feel for Giorgi. He has shown that he is a good player and for the first few games this season, he has struggled. The one bright spot is his 3-pt shot seems to be falling right now. I really hope he figures it out.

That being said, we need Kofi at the 5 and playing where he is at (where Giorgi was last year). Luckily, there is plenty of time this year to figure it out.

IllFanInMi

I
Maybew not, didn't state 21points, however Giorgi who was what 12-14 points last year is getting outmanned, in foul trouble and is defensively a non factor also, hell BU and his experiment might just be the 21 points alone?

Giorgi is not a stretch 4, probably never played that role before, he has some physical attributes sure, but he’s lost out there, it’s not a role I can see him filling, and learning on the job at this level won’t work.

I think he will, but BU MUST adjust his offense to put Giorgi in positions to utilize his true skill sets, or a tremendous asset will be lost.

I’m at a loss as to why this staff didn’t figure that out already, Kofi just didn’t show up. I’m struggling with their evaluation of Giorgi being able to play away from the basket so much, I hope they figure it out. I’m only a washed up former college b-ball player, but can still see Giorgi needs to get back to the post and use his amazing savvy on the block.

sacraig

The desert
Watching Mannion just made me that much more excited for Curbelo next year. A true PG with serious athleticism.

I hope you aren't expecting Curbelo to be Mannion, though. The skill level is not equal.