Bill Cubit gets 2-year deal as Illinois Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best case scenario of this hire is our new coach in 2017 goes 3-9 instead of 2-10 because Cubit didn't leave the cupboard completely empty.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Done. I'm done. No more games for me, not until the university gets its head out of its a**.

This is always the case @ Illinois. Just when you think it can't possibly get worse, it does. Truly, we have reached new levels or stupid.

I was wondering why the coaching thread got locked. Ouch! I can't believe the stupidity. Couldn't they have done a 4 year with a low buy-out? They are saving big money with the salary anyway. I can't imagine this inspiring the Alumni/Boosters. Simply speachless...

Anyone who thinks "this makes sense" is missing the point. 126 other universities in FBS college football have figured out a way to hire a football coach with a conventional 4-year plus contract despite whatever internal turmoil their athletic departments may have been in. Only Illinios is the one to throw up their hands and say, "This is too much for us to handle. Check back in 2017, maybe we'll have this figured out by then." We are an absolute joke.

On a personal level, the reason this is so spirit crushing is that, meathead dummy I am, I chose to attend Illinios over a lot of other options in large part because I wanted big time athletics to be part of my experience as both a student and alumnus. And it was, back in '05 and '07. But now? I might as well have gone to SUNY Binghamton. This is the most small-time move for a purported big-time program that I've ever heard of.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Those of you threatening to never see a game again might as well keep your promise. Having been a fan through Moeller/White/Mackovic/Tepper/Turner/Zook/Beckman...
this is far from the darkest days of Illinois football...and, as a college administrator, this is likely the soundest business decision that could have been made once George (we think) turned us down. Hire George, Cubit likely gets fired. But now, we need to restore sound leadership to evaluate the quality of the program AND maintain a coaching staff that -- I'm sorry to say -- has placed a much better product on the field than some of us have the displeasure to remember.

We ought to be focused on supporting a few wins today (NW and ISU) rather than disavow support for the kids.

Thank you for the bolded.

I don't believe Cubit is the answer, but at this point the players have a coach that they know will be with them. Recruiting is likely to take a hit, but I'm holding further judgment on that until we see what happens with the AD.

Based on the existing situation, my dream scenario is that the new AD wrangles a high-profile coordinator to come in and be the HC in waiting. I know that it isn't done often, but it's my dream scenario and could forseeably save recruiting.

Go Illini, and beat the kitties from up north!!
:alma-mater:

Deleted member 10676

D
It makes sense if you're the interim AD. First, you can't leave the head coaching situation in limbo after the season. If we lose today, someone has to be accountable looking forward to next season - either a coach, or an AD looking for a new coach. But you're probably not gonna be able to make much of a coaching hire as an interim boss. And you're certainly not going to control how fast an interim chancellor hires a new AD who can hire a new coach. What's left but to give a small extension? It seems to me the options to weigh were "odds of an interim AD making a successful head coaching hire" vs. "odds of Cubit keeping things reasonably on track until a new AD is in place while leaving that AD a reasonably inexpensive buyout."

I don't think Kowalczyk had a major say in this.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I still don't believe that this means that Bill Cubit will be our coach next season.

If we find an AD in time and he/she has time to hire a head football coach, then we will buy out, Coach Cubit.

If we do not find an AD in time and/or a coach we love, then we go with Coach Cubit.

Now, had we signed Coach Cubit for a 4 year contract, then that would be an issue.

Let's just wait and see what happens before we panic.

I can't imagine this to be right. I hope that this could happen, but, I think we have at least another year of Cubit. Coaches aren't going to interview for a job that is not open.

Deleted member 29907

D
Turning my time and attention full time to VT football if this is for real. Guess it gives me part of my Fall weekends back.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Guys, it's been a tremendous pleasure wasting time on here with you all. I'll miss it.

I am no longer an Illini fan.

Yep.

Not trying to be overdramatic. I just don't know why I would ever devote as much time as this as I once did. Or any at all, really.

I won't be wasting any more time on Illini football. Lame.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I believe Coach Cubit said he had kids waiting for the university to say yes to him, well they said yes, let's see how true that was.

I hope he succeeds and we have as much stability as we can have for 2 years. I must agree, his buyout must be small.

The contract is only $1.2M (I know, it's a lot for most, but not for HFC). Buyout can't be much.

Those of you threatening to never see a game again might as well keep your promise. Having been a fan through Moeller/White/Mackovic/Tepper/Turner/Zook/Beckman...
this is far from the darkest days of Illinois football...and, as a college administrator, this is likely the soundest business decision that could have been made once George (we think) turned us down. Hire George, Cubit likely gets fired. But now, we need to restore sound leadership to evaluate the quality of the program AND maintain a coaching staff that -- I'm sorry to say -- has placed a much better product on the field than some of us have the displeasure to remember.

We ought to be focused on supporting a few wins today (NW and ISU) rather than disavow support for the kids.

I will watch both and root for both. I won't spend any more money on Illini Athletics until the University of Illinois does as well.

Deleted member 10676

D
Based on what?

Just about everything I've read or heard about this since Thomas was fired. It seemed obvious from that press conference on that nobody was in charge and everybody had a different view of what should happen. Plus what he said just a few days ago on the radio interview.

I really want to be excited for you and your newfound insider status, but...

I don't want to be an insider, trust me. My uncle just happened to be down here in the south for Thanksgiving. I like my position on the board where it's at!

But, I think a lot of you are forgetting that the a lot of the players wanted Cubit to stay. And you're all being extremely dramatic. Switching teams? Stop donating? How is that going to help? What kind of coach did you expect us to land without a real AD in place? Yes it's a safe move and not an exciting one, but I think the players will respond today and silence the critics for their new coach. GO ILLINI!

I'm surprised there is so much anger at giving Cubit a small extension. This gives the University enough time to do the right thing and bring in a permananent Chancellor and Provost first. I'm not sure many high level Athletic Directors and Head Football coaching candidates would be willing to come over with so much instability at the top of the university. It looks to me that the University is thinking long term even if it's unpopular with the fans.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
I don't want to be an insider, trust me. My uncle just happened to be down here in the south for Thanksgiving. I like my position on the board where it's at!

But, I think a lot of you are forgetting that the a lot of the players wanted Cubit to stay. And you're all being extremely dramatic. Switching teams? Stop donating? How is that going to help? What kind of coach did you expect us to land without a real AD in place? Yes it's a safe move and not an exciting one, but I think the players will respond today and silence the critics for their new coach. GO ILLINI!

The plan is to stop donating, then complain when the new AD won't "open the pocketbook" for a splashy coaching hire.

Maybe this is a "We have our coach" moment?

Deleted member 526137

D

Solid first post.:thumb:

Lovethechief78

Bellevue, WA

THIS 100%. Am I thrilled where things are? Of course not, but reality is a !!!!! sometimes. We did NOT have great options here although, yes, that was largely from the administrations' lack of having a clue or giving a f*&% or some combination of those two. I agree a 4 year contract with a very small buyout would have been much better WITH a very small buyout. But by boycotting games and having tiny crowds, how does that help recruiting? Illinois football **IS** better than the 70's and while that doesn't excite ANY of us, we are NOT going to be a Michigan or OSU until the administration makes football success a priority. They won't do that, so we can hope to become a consistent 7-5, 8-4 team but not much more. Let Cubit continue to stabilize/marginally improve the program, retire in 2 years and hopefully we are hiring from a MUCH stronger position than we would be now. :chief:

Status
Not open for further replies.