Blackhawks '17-18

It's nice to see the back to back road wins sandwiched around the break but I don't think barely slipping into the playoffs does anything for the organization moving forward. I just don't see them beating the Preds or Vegas in a seven game series.

I kind of laid it out in a previous post, but I'm viewing this season as a rebuild on the fly. And while I agree that a 1st round exit doesn't seem like much I think it would be very beneficial for the younger players to get at least a little experience in the playoffs.

Plus, like the Preds last year...you never really know what can happen with a hot goalie.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
After last night's debacle, I'm all in for fallin' for Dahlin. Would fill a huge void and the collective outcry would be absolutely epic. Can always hope, right?

The problem with that is the worst team "only" gets a 20-25% chance of the #1 pick, so tanking like that may wind up netting you nothing in the end.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The problem with that is the worst team "only" gets a 20-25% chance of the #1 pick, so tanking like that may wind up netting you nothing in the end.

Misunderstood my tank post. Just get into the lottery (not first or second) and then luck out, a la D. Rose and the Bulls. Heads would explode! Yes, luck plays a large role in this fever dream scenario.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Misunderstood my tank post. Just get into the lottery (not first or second) and then luck out, a la D. Rose and the Bulls. Heads would explode! Yes, luck plays a large role in this fever dream scenario.

Or like when the Hawks got the first pick and took Patrick Kane.

The Hawks definitely need to be sellers at this point. They are just not consistent enough to put together a 10 game unbeaten streak. They cannot give away points like they did against Vancouver and hope to make a long run in the playoffs.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
This may not be likely given their contracts, but would you guys consider trading Keith or Toews to a contender "missing that one last piece" for a decent return?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This may not be likely given their contracts, but would you guys consider trading Keith or Toews to a contender "missing that one last piece" for a decent return?

100% yes. Don't see much demand though. WRT Toews, Hawks will have to retain at least 30%. Everyone, save Kane, should be available.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
100% yes. Don't see much demand though. WRT Toews, Hawks will have to retain at least 30%. Everyone, save Kane, should be available.

By everyone, are you referring to the older vets? Guys like Debrincat and Schmaltz appear to be decent building blocks. Also I was just glancing at the stats, which can be dangerous, and noticed that Kane is a -6 on the season while Toews is a +12.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
By everyone, are you referring to the older vets? Guys like Debrincat and Schmaltz appear to be decent building blocks. Also I was just glancing at the stats, which can be dangerous, and noticed that Kane is a -6 on the season while Toews is a +12.

Yes, the dwindling core. The kids are untouchable, at least the good ones. Anisimov has value. Bouma, Wingels and probably Kempny (he's not re-signing) should be traded (won't get much) or waived. Bundle Hossa's contract, Hartman and Rutta/Kempny for the best asset available. Sharp should be healthy scratched the rest of the season. Bring Hayden back, sign Sikura. WRT +-, pretty overrated stat. Oh, and for the love of God, move Q upstairs (VP of alcohol?) and give Culliton the job. Don't see this happening 'til the off season though.

Last edited:

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Absolutely. Kane should be untouchable. I'd also put in some of the young, cost controlled guys like Schmaltz and Dubrincat. Other than that, see what you can get for any of the rest of them.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Just a pet peeve of mine--but can someone tell Pat Foley that if the Hawks are 24-21-8 they aren't three games over .500 but five games under. That last number stands for "shootout or overtime losses." Irritates the hell out of me every time he says that.

Shane Walsh

aka "Captain Oblivious"
Cynthiana, Kentucky
lol, I hear you Aaron. There is a lot going on with this team right now that irritates the hell out of me.

So glad to see that the NHL's review process works to perfection (just a pinch of sarcasm there). How could they botch the Flames go-ahead goal? They are either blind or stupid.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
So glad to see that the NHL's review process works to perfection (just a pinch of sarcasm there). How could they botch the Flames go-ahead goal? They are either blind or stupid.
I thought both the Hawks goal that was disallowed and the Calgary go ahead goal were good goals.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Since the Hawks aren't very fun to talk about this season, I'd like to make a case for two underrated Hawks from the past to have their numbers retired. Good ole' #28-Steve Larmer. Third in team history behind only Makita and Hull in goals (406) and fourth all time in points (923). Played in 891 games as a Hawk and also scored most power play goals in team history (153). Also #24 Doug Wilson. Highest scoring defenseman in team history with 225 goals and 779 points in 938 games as a Hawk. Won one Norris trophy. What do you guys think?

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Since the Hawks aren't very fun to talk about this season, I'd like to make a case for two underrated Hawks from the past to have their numbers retired. Good ole' #28-Steve Larmer. Third in team history behind only Makita and Hull in goals (406) and fourth all time in points (923). Played in 891 games as a Hawk and also scored most power play goals in team history (153). Also #24 Doug Wilson. Highest scoring defenseman in team history with 225 goals and 779 points in 938 games as a Hawk. Won one Norris trophy. What do you guys think?

I would have no problem with that. Was a huge Larmer fan. The line with Secord and Savard was a great line back in the 80s.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I would have no problem with that. Was a huge Larmer fan. The line with Secord and Savard was a great line back in the 80s.
Pat Foley-"Savard--drops it to Secord-to Larmer-back to Secord-the shot He scores!!!!Oh the Hawks are on fire!" Those were the days. That team though never won anything of note. Damn Oilers.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Larmer should be in the HoF! Yes, the Hawks should retire his number.

Wilson is more of 50/50 proposition. VVG player, no doubt.

It's time for people to start losing their jobs over this. I mean, last year they had 109 points and were the #1 seed in the West, this year they lose 6 in a row at home. Bowman should be gone for the myriad of bad contracts he gave out (same reason Dale Tallon was sent packing) and Q's system isn't suited for the faster NHL. Hate to say it since they brought us 3 Cups, but it's time to start fresh.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Up to 4.5% chance for Dahlin now. Very good draft at the top. Hawks should get a legit difference maker. Anisimov should fetch a late 1st plus. If you can get Trouba for Saad, a 2nd plus, do it.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Pat Foley-"Savard--drops it to Secord-to Larmer-back to Secord-the shot He scores!!!!Oh the Hawks are on fire!" Those were the days. That team though never won anything of note. Damn Oilers.

Yeah, they were probably the second best team in the NHL during that streak of the Oilers. At least a few of the years they were. Was a shame they didn't win anything.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
It's time for people to start losing their jobs over this. I mean, last year they had 109 points and were the #1 seed in the West, this year they lose 6 in a row at home. Bowman should be gone for the myriad of bad contracts he gave out (same reason Dale Tallon was sent packing) and Q's system isn't suited for the faster NHL. Hate to say it since they brought us 3 Cups, but it's time to start fresh.
I think you're right that the case can be made to give Bowman the boot. He's had a terrible past couple of years in making trades and has given out some really bad paper (Seabrook, Bickell to name a couple). I kind of wonder if Quenville will just leave without getting canned. At this stage of his coaching career, I wonder if he has the desire to participate in a rebuild or if he would rather coach a team where he can keep racking up wins to keep adding on to his record.

We all knew this run would end at some point. Like a lot of them the team doesn't just gradually slow down but they kind of drive off a cliff. It's clear to most fans that Keith and Toews are about done. It's kind of sad to see the professional commentators tap dance around the issue. These guys all have at least ten years in the league, and with all of their playoff games you can add two more seasons to that. Kane and Crawford are the only core guys worth keeping at this point. It will be interesting to see what happens.

It'll be hard for the team to be really competitive until the albatross contracts are off the books so I like this thinking. Get some picks that you can have develop in the CHL/NCAA/AHL,etc. until they are really ready to step in and contribute.